DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ and Ebay gimball + Hero 4 Silver

Reaction score
Hi to all !

First time poster, complete newb when it comes to drones. I have GoPro Hero 4 Silver camera for some time and I have found one DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ drone but the camera and original gimbal are removed, there are 4 small holes ( Im guessing for screws ) and one big hole with 3 cables peeking out.

So my question is, can I buy cheap gimbal from Ebay and use commands from the Phantom remote to move my GoPro camera at least vertically up/down ? Or I can just have parallel tracking and the camera will watch only in front of it and thats it ?

Also, can I use those cables that are left to connect this gimbal to power and also to those movements if possible ? I really need your help today since I told this guy that I will buy it but now I have found out that maybe I wont be able to move it at all and that is a dealbraker for me.

FPV BGC 2Axis Gimbal w/ Controller for GoPro 3 DJI Phantom Walkera X350 UK Stock

Thanks a lot !

Hi Karanba, I am fairly new to Phantoms as well but I cut my teeth (on quadcopters that is) on a Syma x5c and then moved on to a Cheerson CX 20 ( a Phantom clone) before moving up to a Phantom2 plus v3.
The gimbal you have mentioned is to stabilise the GoPro type camera in flight and acts as a giro to keep the cameras horizon level, the wires are just to power up the gimble.
Please correct me if I am wrong any body out there as I still have the CX20 that is fitted as standard with 5v and 12v multi mini sockets vest to where the fixed camera mount is fixed and is controlled by the S1 and S2 switches.
Then I may have then two camera eyes in the sky!!!!

Well this is my first ever drone, never seen one in real life :) I record the work on the field and things like that with GoPro but I want to try to do it with this thing.

Can you tell me what is the easiest way for connecting the power to the gimbal ? I dont want to open the quadricopter and mess something up. Why didnt they made plug which could simply plug on the existing plug from the old original gimbal and get power from there ?

I just want to be able to tell the camera in which direction to look and that the gimble holds it steady, I think that this one should do that ?

Although the Cheerson CX 20 is a cheap alternative, the "plug and play" gave new quad pilots ,like what I was, plenty of bolt on options.
The Phantom comes ready to fly straight out of the box ( easy said than done) with all option choices available on what level you can afford and you can also get a DJI Phantom ready fitted with a GoPro gimbal set up.
If you want to buy cheap, perhaps some local RC model air craft shop could suggest a contact or some one on this site could have a idea but it will cost extra to wire in a power take off. Where are you based?

Far far away, in Croatia :) I have found this one to be 6-7$ more $ and it has some Storm32 Controller, what is better there ? I will only manually move the gimbal to point where it should. What are the advantages of this new controller ? I need only 2 axis to be steady and also if it can do something more, why not.

I bought used Phantom 2 Vision+ but the camere and the gimbal are not sold to me. So I must buy gimbal and put my GoPro there.

2-Axis Brushless Gimbal Camera Mount w/ 32bit Storm32 Controller for Gopro 3 4

If you are only using the camera as a fixed item, just anti vibration mounts set up ( check EBay) would work I guess, you can rig the camera to point downwards using the swivel on the bracket set the camera running and pivot the quad to pan left or right using the GPS of the phantom to hold position or a traveling shot. I can't remember if the GoPro 4 is WiFi enable if so you may get a picture down link to yr smart phone. Good Luck -- Bob

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1451240648.891991.jpg

Not sure that will work unless you have the correct power supply voltage and connection.
Sorry I can't help with to indepth electrical instructions about wiring it up, you must get help from a model shop who deals with radio controlled air craft and things.
Usually Wifi from a camera is only 25 to 50 meters I think but your spec sheet from yr GoPro should tell you.
I still think the anti vibration fixed bracket would get you started easy though.

Of course that I need power for the gimbal. I see that you know even less than me about Phantoms and cameras so I hope that someone knowledgeable will see this topic. I really appreciate your input but you have not told me anything useful.

Cheers mate

The problem you are experiencing is because the Phantom 2 Vision & Vision+ were designed as all-in-one integrated FPV solutions. To accomplish this with technology from two years past, the system is reversed from most control/FPV solutions. The control operates on 5.8 Ghz while the FPV & telemetry operates on 2.4 Ghz. This is opposite of most systems. The reversal puts you in a bit of a pickle as far as modifying things. There are no plugs for optional stuff for the same reason. It was designed for its intended purpose. The Vision+ camera is about on par with your Silver.

Unfortunately the camera/gimbal module on a Vision+ is rather expensive to replace because a portion of the FPV system is incorporated into the gimbal base. New the camera assemble alone is $589 ($519 used from B&H). At that price you could pick up a BRAND NEW & COMPLETE Phantom 3 Standard with free backpack for $100 more! The Phantom 2 Standard is this year's model of the Vision+. It has numerous improvements over its predecessor. Better camera (cheaper to replace too - $379), an upgraded battery & propulsion system, a unified mainboard incorporating nearly all of the Vision+ components onto a single board, & greater range. The P3 Standard is an excellent deal @ $699. Like the Vision+ the P3s are designed to be an integrated solution. They aren't designed to be modified.

At one time I recall someone figured out a way to do what you are attempting to do with a Vision+ but I can't recall where I saw it? Try googling around for "aftermarket camera solution for Phantom Vision+.

Unfortunately you would have been better served by purchasing one of the regular Phantom 2 models. They are designed to be more easily modified. DJI still manufactures the Phantom 2 in two variants. One is the basic Phantom 2 aircraft only (included aircraft, controller, battery, charger) for $499 new. It is also available in the Phantom 2 H4-3D model (aircraft, controller, battery, charger, H4-3G gimbal for Hero cameras) for $699. (Note this still does NOT include an FPV system or telemetry features. You would need to add your own 5.8 Ghz FPV solution & an iOSD module for the telemetry overlay.

I should ask this before you go further. Does your Vision+ actually fly? Have you flight tested it to make sure it is worth the effort? Assuming it does, you could strip out the Vision+ FPV components & add your own compatible gimbal & 2.4 Ghz FPV system. Alternatively you could strip the FPV components, get a regular Phantom 2 receiver & controller (2.4Ghz), a compatible gimbal, & add a 5.8 Ghz FPV system. Either way you'll have to open the shell & do lots of tinkering. It will be more expensive that just buying the Phantom 3 Standard & no where near as neat to look at.

Thanks
Hi you have hit the nail on the head (several nails several times).
Just mount the camera and fly you quad/toy like some of us did when the bug first bit.
That's if it can fly!!! Bob

Thanks for clarification. Yes the thing is working but the owner left the camera and the gimbal and uses it on another Phantom. I dont want to spend a lot of money on this since I dont use it like most of you do, to make videos from far far away in the sky. I will record some work in the field and that is it, if I can get only camera feed ( I dont need any kind of telemetry ) that would be great.
I can get 2.4G FPV setup, I think that they are the same and I dont need anything over 500m, even 200m is good enough for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj