Dji Phantom 2 - Run motors without props?

Reaction score
Did some research and couldn't find an answer.

Is it bad, will it damage the motors or any other components to run the motors without the props installed? What about different speeds, idle, full speed?

The reason I ask is I want to discharge my batteries to the optimal storage of 50%, and I was thinking that leaving the motors on without the props will achieve this faster.

browen81 said:
Did some research and couldn't find an answer.

Is it bad, will it damage the motors or any other components to run the motors without the props installed? What about different speeds, idle, full speed?

The reason I ask is I want to discharge my batteries to the optimal storage of 50%, and I was thinking that leaving the motors on without the props will achieve this faster.
Probably none. I did this from time to time while building a hex with larger motors and ESCs.

Nothing wrong with running for short periods for testing etc without props.
Might be overheating issues if for longer periods like you're sugggesting
If you have up to date battery firmware, that will auto discharge to 50% if batteries are unused for 10 days anyway

Meta4 said:
Nothing wrong with running for short periods for testing etc without props.
Might be overheating issues if for longer periods like you're sugggesting
If you have up to date battery firmware, that will auto discharge to 50% if batteries are unused for 10 days anyway

That leads me to another question.

I know the smart batteries will self discharge over time; But i read somewhere that if you ever press the button on the battery to just light up the lights it will reset the discharging timer, and bring it back to day 1. Is this true?

Meaning you could always reset the timer, and the batteries will never discharge, therefore resulting in damage to the battery.

I read somewhere that you can turn the battery on and leave it on for a few hours untill it discharges to about 50% then turn it off. This is faster than waiting the 10 days to auto discharge. I also remember something about storing them in refrigerator for storage long term. I'll see if I can find links.

browen81 said:
Meta4 said:
I know the smart batteries will self discharge over time; But i read somewhere that if you ever press the button on the battery to just light up the lights it will reset the discharging timer, and bring it back to day 1. Is this true?
I saw DKI post that in their forum.

One possible down side- with the props not fitted the motor could rattle/chatter because the rotor will not be properly seated on its thrust face.

discv said:
One possible down side- with the props not fitted the motor could rattle/chatter because the rotor will not be properly seated on its thrust face.
:D
The motors run fine without props. The wifi module can overheat however. It's best just to hover with props for awhile to drain battery for storage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 717
In my opinion, running motors to run down batteries is like running a car engine to drain the tank. It all equates to wear. I would think someone would have a product to discharge these batteries in a proper manner without flying or running your motors. Just seems dumb to me.

I've heard that if you run the motors without props at full throttle you can damage the bearings. I did it with my old phantom and the motors made some weird noise. Didn't do it again. If I want to drain the batteries I'll fly it around the yard or just wait for them to do their self discharge that's seems to work fine.

Mori55 said:
I've heard that if you run the motors without props at full throttle you can damage the bearings. I did it with my old phantom and the motors made some weird noise. Didn't do it again. If I want to drain the batteries I'll fly it around the yard or just wait for them to do their self discharge that's seems to work fine.
:?
Electric motors run specific RPMs. They will not over-rev like a gas motor with no load or limiter.

MHL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan