DJI Phantom 2 Car Charger at 5$

I asked to wait for it to be back in stock, this is the reply I got:

Really sorry, but the item SKU125543 won't be back into stock any more,so how about we refund the item fee to you to solve it?

And we have sent the rest items to you first.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Kathy

I've just received my refund as well, I'd be interested to hear if anyone will be shipped one, or if anyone has bought the $100 one how well it works.

I did some experiments today with the normal mains charger and my battery, which was down to one green light

The output of the charger is a pretty stable 12.6V as listed on the outside of the box.

The initial charge current was just under 3A, I'll need to leave the battery charging for a few hours to see if this value drops off over time, but I doubt it will.

I disconnected the battery from the charger and put a resistive load of 2.2 ohms, briefly onto the charger, and it delivered a bit over 4 Amps

This suggests that the charging control is more likely to be inside the Smart battery than in the charger.

However this doesn't mean that you can simply hook up the battery to a car battery, because car batteries are normally charged to around 14V while the motor is running.

So although the Smart battery may be able to regulate the current to 3A, its going to have to work harder to do it, as voltage difference between the normal charger and the 11.1V LIPO is only 1.5V but it would be (14 - 11.1 = 2.9V) from a car battery, i.e twice as much

I know some people on the RCGroup forum have taken the smart battery apart, so they could probably comment on whether the electronics inside the battery are likely to be able to withstand the additional voltage produced by a car battery

It would be interesting to find someone with a DJI charger who had an ohm meter and could "buzz" the connetions to see if indeed its just a straight though (via a fuse) from the lighter socket plug to the twin spade connector at the other end.

I'd be really interested if anyone could take a look at the voltage on the output of these cheap chargers, i.e using a digital volt meter)

Some guys on the RCGroups forums have a long thread about replacing the smart battery etc, including the charging of the battery.

From what people have posted, it could be that charging directly from a car battery would work, but with repeated charging would slowly degrade the battery.

These $5 charger's seem too cheap to have the necessary electronics to guarantee absolutely the correct supply voltage.

Could someone look at the voltage on the output of one of these, when the car has been standing for 10 mins, and also try putting the headlights on (but not the engine)
And also with the engine running for about a minute.

If the "charger" is any good, the voltage on the output will be 12.6V regardless of whether the engine is on or off etc.

If however the voltage rises above 12.6V e.g. to 14V when the engine is running, or below 12.6 e.g. 12.5 or lower when the headlights are on, or the battery has not been charged for a day etc, then I'm not sure I'd like to chance the use of them on a battery that cost nearly $200.

riblit said:
It could have something as simple as an sbec inside. That will hold the voltage and sell for a few dollars.

I'm not sure if SBEC's convert battery voltage in both directions, i.e if you car battery had been drained e.g by running the radio etc etc, then the voltage is likely to be below the 12.6V required to give the battery a full charge.

e,g, The SBEC's I've seen have a higher input voltage requirement than the output voltage.

RogerClark said:
riblit said:
It could have something as simple as an sbec inside. That will hold the voltage and sell for a few dollars.

I'm not sure if SBEC's convert battery voltage in both directions, i.e if you car battery had been drained e.g by running the radio etc etc, then the voltage is likely to be below the 12.6V required to give the battery a full charge.

e,g, The SBEC's I've seen have a higher input voltage requirement than the output voltage.

There a buck/boost switch mode converter on ebay that will deliver 5A or 60 W, whichever is the least at the end of a thread I just finished reading on rcgroups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085480 the complete thread is worth reading , the ebay link is on page 22.

I know, I'm the one who posted the stuff on the buck converters ;-)

ie This looks like it would probably work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Automatic-Bo ... 1131819552

But you'd also need the car lighter plug and also some way to plug it into the smart battery. I think helipad sell the plug inside the P2 that connects to the battery, or alternatively its just 2 normal "spade" style connectors - you'd just need to make sure you connect them the correct way around !

So it was you :)

That looks ok from the specs. It's got a decent heat sink on it as well. I have a plug on its way here now, I ordered it via eBay last week.

There is a YouTube video showing how to make a plug from an old power plug, some glue and liquid silicon. Depending on what you have laying around it may work out cheaper than the $8 for one off eBay. I have a smart charger that I use for other batteries here. I can put it in lead acid mode and use it to drive the LiPo charger in the phantom battery. It's dual power so it will run off the car battery as well as the mains.

Amazon sells the "Toshare Battery Charging Board + car charger for Phantom 3 Pro/Adv" for $59, I ordered it less than a week ago, and it just arrived today from Hong Kong (I think I remember seeing "Banggood" somewhere, but Amazon has 2 vendors, one is on eBay, the other Hong Kong. In the Amazon description, it says "By Celestial Technology." It comes with a board that you can hang three batteries on, and a 2-blade connector for using the Phantom 3 battery charger. as well as another connector for using the car charger. You're supposed to press the button if using the Phantom charger, although that instruction is only in the Amazon ad--typically, there's NO documentation that came with it!
I think for the parts alone, it's worth $59, and if it works, all the better! Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100ZZ2R0?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl