DJI Phantom 2 battery problems. Help?

Reaction score
Recently I've been having a problem with my DJI Phantom 2 where it starts flashing red and auto lands almost immediately after take off on all 3 of my batteries.

The battery level on screen (iOSD mini) seems to drop very rapidly, but is still quite a bit higher than what should trigger a low battery landing (e.g. 60%).

I've fully discharged one of the batteries and recharged it by running the engines without the props on until it runs down. Didn't seem to help.

The Phantom 2 assistant tool does not report a problem with my batteries.

Battery reports about 96% "percentage of life" in the assistant software

The fact that the behaviour is the same on all 3 batteries makes me doubt that it's the batteries (they were bought at separate times).

My firmware is up-to-date according to the assistant.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Help?

Recently I've been having a problem with my DJI Phantom 2 where it starts flashing red and auto lands almost immediately after take off on all 3 of my batteries.

The battery level on screen (iOSD mini) seems to drop very rapidly, but is still quite a bit higher than what should trigger a low battery landing (e.g. 60%).

I've fully discharged one of the batteries and recharged it by running the engines without the props on until it runs down. Didn't seem to help.

The Phantom 2 assistant tool does not report a problem with my batteries.

Battery reports about 96% "percentage of life" in the assistant software

The fact that the behaviour is the same on all 3 batteries makes me doubt that it's the batteries (they were bought at separate times).

My firmware is up-to-date according to the assistant.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Help?

If you haven't storing your batteries at 50% when not in use for say two weeks that will shorten the life of thos batteries.

Charge all of your batteries and check each one using the P2 software and pay attention to the two full/current capacity as these crafts use current not voltage to stay in the air. Of course once the voltage reaches 10.6 volts it's coming down.

I charged all my batteries today for tomorrows flights the oldest was bought 10/09/14 and newest dated 3/30/16 and the following are the current readings from all five.

#1 5200
4579 10/09/14 This battery should be good for about 10 - 11 minutes.
#2 5200
5153 10/22/14
#3 5200
5265 10/14/15
#4 5200
5351 10/14/15
#5 6200
6200 3/30/16 only used 4 time bought it to test
6000mAh Battery #9.jpg

If you live here in the states check out 5400mAh 11.1v batteries for P2s on ebay.
5400mAh 11.1v batteries for Phantom 2 | eBay

Last edited:
Thanks Jason,
Took the drone back to the shop where I bought the drone and they concur with your assessment about it being the batteries. I'm in Australia, but I've found an equivalent after market battery to the one you linked above.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers