DJI Phantom 2 Assistant 1.08 connection?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with the H3-2D gimbal, and have loaded the device drivers onto my computer (Vista Home Premium). The Phantom Assistant version 1 works with no problem when connected to my controller, but when I upgraded to version 1.08 assistant the software does not recognize the controller as connected. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks

No, but I have the same problem. I loaded the latest driver from DJI, managed to get Assistant to upgrade the Phantom itself, but I get no response when hooked to the controller. The little 'lights' in the lower left corner corner are nothing more than dots. So now I don't know if I'm safe to fly . . . :evil:

While this was all going on initially, I was unable to connect between the controller and the Phantom at all! I was afraid I'd produced a 'brick'. The smartphone and WiFi connection wouldn't work. Well sort of. It actually did connect, but when I pressed the Camera button I got a message saying "Invalid Battery", which of course, isn't true. Fully charged battery. I reattached the Phantom to the computer via USB, booted up Assistant AGAIN, and it automatically downloaded what I assume (uh oh...) is the latest software. I unplugged it, and pressed the battery to start up the Phantom. Bingo! It worked. Perfect connection, even with the previously "Invalid Battery".

Too windy outside to see if I have control back. And now it's snowing too, so I guess I'll have to sit this out.

But, Ive YET to see a connection between the Assistant and the controller. :evil:

Mine doesn't recognize the Phantom either.....

And what does "snowing" mean? :cool:

I was just out flying wearing a t-shirt!

hi im no expert but do you not update the controller with the rc assistant on the phantom 2

WJohnson - Keep that stuff to yourself - ha.

shortyuk - I'm of the impression that you have to match the software upgrades for both the Phantom and the controller. And that's my complaint/problem. I get no indication whatsoever that the omniscient Assistant even knows I OWN a controller :twisted: .

Now I'm a bit scared to set off on any fancy kinds of flights for fear of the Phantom flying off by itself. :!:

I just went out flying it, and after upgrading the firmware on the controller with Assistant 1.0, I no longer have control over the gimbal. It points the camera straight down....

sorry maybe you know more than me, i have done all updates to mine, everything works perfectly, i take it you know there is a seperate assistant just for the rc ?

w johnson, i would try a restart of the phantom on level ground, my gimbal has been acting up a bit since gimbal update 1.06, and if gimbal does not respond fly it for a couple of minuets and see if it kicks in

shortyuk said:
sorry maybe you know more than me, i have done all updates to mine, everything works perfectly, i take it you know there is a seperate assistant just for the rc ?

I do now. That was a "duh" moment....

All is upgraded now, and life is good.

I figured out my gimbal issue - I screwed it up when I calibrated the controller. It is ok now.

shortyuk, by "rc" you mean the remote control - right? As I mentioned before, I've not gotten the "Assistant" to recognize my controller - ever. All those adjustments with the sliders - I can never get them to do anything when I try to move them with the cursor. Or, am I doing that all wrong as well?

I did get the Phantom to upgrade to the latest driver. It happened automatically when I hooked up the USB port with my computer and clicked on the driver file. But the controller? Nothing. Still don't know if I'm locked in perfectly with both the controller and the Phantom.

I feel so stupid about this. It CAN'T be this hard! I must be doing something simply, wrong. :cry:

hi tommy, yes i do mean remote control. Like i say im no expert, im new to the phantom, but have been flying rc planes for a while, the way i did things was like this, install drivers for phantom 2, this is only to let your pc communicate with the phantom, it will not perform any updates until you use the assistant software, start phantom 2 assistant, got to update, install updates, you will then be prompted to power cycle, update page should now say no updated available, (unless you have the zenmuse gimbal, for some reason it says update to version 1.06, even after it is installed). Ok now your phantom is up to date, download the rc driver and install, now open the rc assistant, go to update, and install updates if there are any. Now all you have to do is calibrate the rc. just click calibrate and follow the instructions, when all is done you should be fine, however i personally would then go back into the phantom 2 assistant with my rc switched on and check all movements and switches to make sure they are performing properly on the sliders etc, hope this helps, if your rc is not moving any off the sliders etc, i would make sure the driver is installed properly

Thank you shorty for you info. I went to bed last night, angry that I couldn't get any of this to hook up. Figured if I got a good night sleep, everything would be a lot clearer in the morning.

Got up, slammed down some coffee, dragged my wife into the fray (she's worked at a software company for 25 years), and started all over again, with your tips in hand (and the huge manual downloaded and printed).

Even so, the manual is a bit vague (probably because the Chinese try to translate to English - and don't do so well - :lol: ) and we downloaded - then RE-downloaded drivers, programs, blah blah.

One mistake was my thinking I could do something with the controller without the Phantom being 'booted up'. The Assistant showed it didn't need any upgrades. Then I plugged the Phantom into the computer (connected to the controller) and VIOLA, if I moved the sticks, the sliders moved in the program. Well, two of them did. Two of them did not. Reading and re-reading the on-line error messages, the manual, and your tips, somehow I accidentally got everything to work. All the sliders were centered (another hassle I'm not sure how I 'fixed'). Screwed the controller back together and headed outside into the 28° morning for a test flight. Ahhhh, all worked fine, even the camera WiFi. It didn't look like the compass needed another calibration. The compass in the vid software pointed in the right direction.

One last thing. I AM going to find a little 'extension cord' micro-USB cable that I can plug into the socket inside the controller (like DJI should have done) and run it through the controller case and hang outside so I can quit unscrewing the box every time I want to hook it up. Duh! :roll: I'm sure at some point, the plastic will cease to grip the screws - and then I'm screwed, so to speak....

ok tommy glad ur up and running, i have the non vision and they have put the usb port on the outside, makes things alot easier. Just be carefull for now, maybe get someone locally to check your settings just to be on the safe side, happy landings :D

shortyuk said:
maybe get someone locally to check your settings just to be on the safe side, happy landings :D

Boy shorty, I'd love to have someone more knowledgeable on this stuff check my settings, but I'm thinking I'm all alone around these parts. I had to order my Phantom from someone in CA (to avoid local sales tax). The only dealer in NV is in Las Vegas, and that's a day's drive from here.

Went out flying yesterday and all seems fine - so far. I even checked the "Return Home" feature by turning off the controller - and it worked as advertised. So, I'm happy so far. Thanks again for the help.

no problem, there must be some fantastic places to fly out there?, are you far from the grand canyon?

shortyuk said:
there must be some fantastic places to fly out there?, are you far from the grand canyon?

We're about 700 miles from there. Actually, we're planning on a trip there with some RV'ing friends this spring. But, I've already read about how it's illegal to fly any UAV's there. Even saw the 'official' reference to it in the National Park site for the Grand Canyon. Some guys have posted vids they took there that are spectacular but I'm assuming they simply didn't get caught. Of course, it's ok for tourist helicopter rides... Maybe they're afraid we might crash into them. Anyway, we'll have to resort to simple tourist style videos. No matter, there is (as you inquired) tons of fantastic places to fly and stuff to video out west here. Glad I moved this way from Chicago over 35 years ago.

We're not all that far from Area 51, but I'd rather chance flying at the Grand Canyon than near 51! :lol:

sounds great mate, must get to the states some day, its on my to do list, happy flying, a word of warning about flying in gps mode, its great out in the open , but if you get really close to a structure or building, it could loose some satellites and start to drift, i found this out making my rothley castle video,just be ready to make an imput on the rc or flick it into atti mode if it starts to accelerate away , in fact learning to fly in open spaces in atti mode will help you no end, good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl