DJI Phantom 1 Zenmuse H3-3D Installation Video Guide

Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I've put together a series of videos showing my installation of the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on my Phantom 1.1.1.

Please subscribe and like the videos if you find them helpful and join the DJI Phantom Owners Group Google plus page to receive more DJI Phantom related posts.
https://plus.google.com/b/1071181836458 ... 9159/posts

Thanks,

Brett

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPgcAARpHLk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwaA6oY9G8[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCH5vuhkb3A[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzSlxf5Yf1I[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XQ3lYAzGDg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1Ibc-XHKA[/youtube]

Cool!! Can't wait to install mine!

Any issues yet?

Cheers!

Fred

No issues at all. Crashed pretty bad once, but no damage. I was worried battery life would take a hit, but still averaging about 8 min flights with the gimbal. Very impressed with the footage quality. Definitely recommend installing one!

Thanks for your feedback, especially about the battery life! I just received the parts... will install it ASAP!

Play - nice video(s) - one note - you should've added the upgrade board ($70) or used a P2 board ($60) and you could've saved more weight and added more flight time for your gimbal install.

Hi Playhouseent!

Did you already tried to connect the gimbal with the DJI Gimbal assistant software (v1.1)? I have a connection but also a lock at the top of the window. When I hoover the lock it says "click to unlock". I click but nothing is happening... Also I have no options except "tilt"...

Let me know!

Cheers!

I would love to upgrade to the 3 axis gimbal on my P1. I'm somewhat ignorant at this point as to the hardware of my P1 but believe it has the upgrade board already installed as my H3-2D's cable plugs directly into the board and there is no GCU. Could I simply replace with the 3D, besides the obvious mounting of the gimbal?

Thanks for any help offered!

timd14 said:
I would love to upgrade to the 3 axis gimbal on my P1. I'm somewhat ignorant at this point as to the hardware of my P1 but believe it has the upgrade board already installed as my H3-2D's cable plugs directly into the board and there is no GCU. Could I simply replace with the 3D, besides the obvious mounting of the gimbal?

Thanks for any help offered!

Sure can! I'm using the H3-3D on a P1 w/upgrade board and it was just a matter of bolting it on and plugging in the same 8-strand cable you used with the H3-2D. If you haven't seen it already, DJI has an H3-3D kit for the P1 that includes the mounting bracket and longer legs.

Sure can! I'm using the H3-3D on a P1 w/upgrade board and it was just a matter of bolting it on and plugging in the same 8-strand cable you used with the H3-2D. If you haven't seen it already, DJI has an H3-3D kit for the P1 that includes the mounting bracket and longer legs

That's great news! Any other calibrations needed to use with my Futaba Tx? I'm not sure if I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one yet as I've been reading about some instability with the gimbal as well as I'm not thrilled about the usb plug in to the GoPro as opposed to the integrated back like my H3-2D has. I'm hoping this is in the work for DJI- any insights on a version that would have this connection method?

Another question- I see there is an original version of the H3-3D specifically for the P2. I see that there is now a standard version in which has the usb GoPro connection I am not thrilled with. My question is this- would the P2 version work on my P1 and is there any issues with this version I should stay clear of?

Thanks again!

The "P2 Version" of the H3-3D is the one that doesn't include the stand-alone GCU and presumes you'll instead use the GCU built in to the mainboard on a P2 (or in your case the upgrade board in a P1). The ones that aren't labeled as the P2 version have the separate little GCU box for using on platforms without a suitable Phantom mainboard.

Unfortunately the USB connector is now standard on both versions of the H3-3D (P2 and GCU), the only way right now to have the old style port is to find a busted H3-2D that you can cannibalize it from.

OI Photography said:
The "P2 Version" of the H3-3D is the one that doesn't include the stand-alone GCU and presumes you'll instead use the GCU built in to the mainboard on a P2 (or in your case the upgrade board in a P1). The ones that aren't labeled as the P2 version have the separate little GCU box for using on platforms without a suitable Phantom mainboard.

Unfortunately the USB connector is now standard on both versions of the H3-3D (P2 and GCU), the only way right now to have the old style port is to find a busted H3-2D that you can cannibalize it from.

Thank you for the info- it's been a great help. Is there word that DJI will be going back to the old style port? That's my big hang up right now as the USB port just looks flimsy and have heard of the ribbon cable breaking easily.

timd14 said:
Thank you for the info- it's been a great help. Is there word that DJI will be going back to the old style port? That's my big hang up right now as the USB port just looks flimsy and have heard of the ribbon cable breaking easily.

It is and it does, I was very delicate with mine from the moment it arrived, and after 3 flights the ribbon cable had already developed a small stress fracture just wide enough to cut the video feed. I ordered 5 spares for now, and I got my hands on an H3-2D to steal the port from but I haven't done the surgery yet.

The only thing I've heard/read from DJI about it is "That's the connector we're using now"

OI Photography said:
timd14 said:

It is and it does, I was very delicate with mine from the moment it arrived, and after 3 flights the ribbon cable had already developed a small stress fracture just wide enough to cut the video feed. I ordered 5 spares for now, and I got my hands on an H3-2D to steal the port from but I haven't done the surgery yet.

The only thing I've heard/read from DJI about it is "That's the connector we're using now"

That's just poor design on their part but have to believe it was a reaction as opposed to this design being their intent. I really do want that 3rd axis though as the yaw jitter, even on a very still day is annoying and this gimbal seems or at least I'm hoping, really cleans this up!

timd14 said:
I really do want that 3rd axis though as the yaw jitter, even on a very still day is annoying and this gimbal seems or at least I'm hoping, really cleans this up!

That's the #1 reason I got a 3-axis gimbal, and so far it's performed that task perfectly. I notice it most when flying/fiming in a straight line.

OI Photography said:
timd14 said:
I really do want that 3rd axis though as the yaw jitter, even on a very still day is annoying and this gimbal seems or at least I'm hoping, really cleans this up!

That's the #1 reason I got a 3-axis gimbal, and so far it's performed that task perfectly. I notice it most when flying/fiming in a straight line.

With my setup, is it simply plug and play or do I need to do a set up/ calibration with the Naza software? How is the tilt pan on this unit, can you slow down the speed of the tilt? I never figured that one out with my 2D gimbal.

timd14 said:
OI Photography said:
timd14 said:

With my setup, is it simply plug and play or do I need to do a set up/ calibration with the Naza software? How is the tilt pan on this unit, can you slow down the speed of the tilt? I never figured that one out with my 2D gimbal.

There is nothing you can do for the tilt speed, or FPV mode at this time... with the H3-3D with GCU (so not speaking about Phantom 2 here) you have to use the DJI Gimbal assistant but for now, the only thing you can do with this software is upgrade the firmware... which is actually the same as the one for the H3-2D (GCU 1.8, IMU 1.6, CMU 1.0).

I think that DJI make is very ununderstandable... It's like no one is using this gimbal on something else than a Phantom 2...

Have a look here: http://youtu.be/o1BDhXrsGEc

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong...

Cheers!

Tobrouk

Tobrouk said:
There is nothing you can do for the tilt speed, or FPV mode at this time... with the H3-3D with GCU (so not speaking about Phantom 2 here) you have to use the DJI Gimbal assistant but for now, the only thing you can do with this software is upgrade the firmware... which is actually the same as the one for the H3-2D (GCU 1.8, IMU 1.6, CMU 1.0).

I think that DJI make is very ununderstandable... It's like no one is using this gimbal on something else than a Phantom 2...

Have a look here: http://youtu.be/o1BDhXrsGEc

Someone corrects me if I'm wrong...

Cheers!

Tobrouk

Sorry to have to correct you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdvjNGY ... VSNdmm127A

Hello!

Of course people use this Gimbal on other copters than Phantom 2 but within the Gimbal assistant software you don't have as much as options as in the Phantom 2 assistant software (tilt speed and activation or deactivation of the FPV mode).

By FPV mode I don't mean the AV out, I mean the mode that gives you more a flying experience (less stabilization)...

Just an exemple... on DJI website under Zenmuse H3-3D you can see that the lastest firmware is 1.0.0.6... well this is true but only for phantom 2. This is confusing right? I updated my H3-3D and I have GCU 1.8, IMU 1.6 and CMU 1.0...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic