Dji phantom 1.1.1 toilet bowl on takeoff

Reaction score
So I fried my motors by taking off the prop guards and using the same screws, so I bought the t motor anti gravity motors and installed them. I installed them as the diagram said, and used the original 1.1.1 self tightening props on them and the thrust was making the phantom push downward, so i switched the wires on the motors and now it take off but immediately starts doing the toilet bowl effect. What would the problem be? The compass has not changed locations, i re calibrate it many times. Is it the props? although i dont see why they would work on stock motors and not these.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What values are you seeing for the compass mod field on the "Tools" section in the NAZA assistant software?

Are you sure none of the connections for the GPS or compass came loose during your modifications? It can be easy for the compass plug to come a little loose where it connects to the GPS board up in the lid hidden behind that grey lined insulation pad.

I was just thinking that. Unfortunately, after taking the body apart so many times, I've stripped a couple of the screws. So I think im going to use the soldering iron to get it out and order some replacement screws. Hopefully it's just a loose wire or something. I honestly dont know what else it would be. I've tried quite a few things. What should the values be in the naza?

The compass mod value (the final value on the right in that section) should be in the 1600-1800 range without a lot of fluxuation (a minor amount is normal though). Even 1500 is "ok", but much higher or lower than that range will give you unstable flight. Conflicts between the GPS and compass readings often contribute to reported Toilet-Bowl Effect scenarios.

When soldering on the motors, would it be possible that i could have soldered one of them on poorly and maybe one or a couple of them arent thrusting properly?
I just took the cover off, and everything seems to be connected properly.

ageedb said:
When soldering on the motors, would it be possible that i could have soldered one of them on poorly and maybe one or a couple of them arent thrusting properly?
I just took the cover off, and everything seems to be connected properly.

Possibly, but I doubt that's the issue here. If you want to check and don't have a multimeter to test voltage, just power up the motors with no props on for a few secs and slowly apply a little throttle. If any of the motors are spinning at a different or inconsistent RPM it'll probably be obvious.

It occurred to me that your motors might be in the wrong locations, even if the props and wiring result in them producing lift. Do your motors spin in the same direction as the little icons embossed on the arms next to them?

Also, what else do you have attached when this happens? If you have a gopro, are you sure the wifi is off?

Hmm. When I first installed the motors, they spinned just like the diagram says on the shell, but with the 1.1.1 self tightening props, they thrusted upwards, making the phantom push down. so I then switched 2 of the wires of each of the motors so they would spin the other direction so the props would give lift. Maybe the t motors arent compatible with these props? Maybe i should get props that arent self tightening?

ageedb said:
Hmm. When I first installed the motors, they spinned just like the diagram says on the shell, but with the 1.1.1 self tightening props, they thrusted upwards, making the phantom push down. so I then switched 2 of the wires of each of the motors so they would spin the other direction so the props would give lift. Maybe the t motors arent compatible with these props? Maybe i should get props that arent self tightening?

They are definitely compatible, I've been using them with both sizes of DJI's self-tightening Phantom props for months. From what you said there, it sounds like you have the motors in the wrong locations. Check to see if the black and silver-topped props are on the same arms on your Phantom as they are in this pic:
MdPjwnLl.jpg

If not, you'll need to switch the motor locations to match that. Then make sure each motor is wired to rotate in the same direction as the icon on the arm. Once all that matches up, I'll bet your problem disappears.

OI Photography said:
ageedb said:

They are definitely compatible, I've been using them with both sizes of DJI's self-tightening Phantom props for months. From what you said there, it sounds like you have the motors in the wrong locations. Check to see if the black and silver-topped props are on the same arms on your Phantom as they are in this pic:
MdPjwnLl.jpg

If not, you'll need to switch the motor locations to match that. Then make sure each motor is wired to rotate in the same direction as the icon on the arm. Once all that matches up, I'll bet your problem disappears.

Hmm. Looks like I did place the motors on the wrong arms. I have the blacks where the silvers are and vice versa. I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it works, which I bet it will. Thanks! I'll keep you updated!

I just ran across the same problem. The instructions were completely backwards. The motors labeled ccw went on the cw arm and wired cw and the cw motors on the ccw arms wired cw.

Big pita but working great now.

Boozshey said:
I just ran across the same problem. The instructions were completely backwards. The motors labeled ccw went on the cw arm and wired cw and the cw motors on the ccw arms wired cw.

Big pita but working great now.

****. That really pisses me off. As someone who has never soldered anything, and spending so much money on a "toy", I would think t motor would pay closer attention to something so important.

So I switched the motors and now it works perfectly. Although considering the extra 100 bucks for these motors, i don't see that much of a difference. Maybe I should get some carbon fiber props and then i will definitely notice a difference.

I'm running dual battery, tarot gimbal, ezosd and a immersion tx antenna, frsky rx...

With all the added weight these motors made the phantom fly amazing! You might not have the weight needed to take advantage of them..

Glad it's working out now for you. Too bad tmotors doesn't instruct you properly.

Yeah, I plan on getting all the other stuff soon. Right now I just have the phantom. Hopefully after a couple more paychecks I can get a go pro and and gimbal. Then work my way up to FPV.
Do you have any advice on what hardware to get for fpv?

My FPV setup is this...
Immerion RC ezOSD (Could also use mini iosd if you wanted to buy the other pieces)
Immersion RC 600mw Transmitter
Immersion RC DUO V2 Reciever (I think the v3 is out now and I can't find the v2 anymore)
Immersion RC Patch Antenna
Immersion RC Spironet Antenna pair (one for phantom, one for DUO diversity)
Feelworld Monitor 7" Monitor ($100 on eBay from US Seller in Cali) (wired to a 3s 2200mah batter along with DUO)
Tarot Gimbal 2axis w/tilt (want the arriss 3000 someday)
GoPro 3+ Black

Boozshey said:
My FPV setup is this...
Immerion RC ezOSD (Could also use mini iosd if you wanted to buy the other pieces)
Immersion RC 600mw Transmitter
Immersion RC DUO V2 Reciever (I think the v3 is out now and I can't find the v2 anymore)
Immersion RC Patch Antenna
Immersion RC Spironet Antenna pair (one for phantom, one for DUO diversity)
Feelworld Monitor 7" Monitor ($100 on eBay from US Seller in Cali) (wired to a 3s 2200mah batter along with DUO)
Tarot Gimbal 2axis w/tilt (want the arriss 3000 someday)
GoPro 3+ Black

So you like using a monitor over goggles? Have you tried them?

I did a short 1 minute demo with the goggles. It was through a crappy camera on an R/C truck. I'd really like to try them on the phantom. :/

After todays flight, I might invest in some just to see if I like them.

ageedb said:
OI Photography said:
ageedb said:

MdPjwnLl.jpg

Hmm. Looks like I did place the motors on the wrong arms. I have the blacks where the silvers are and vice versa. I'm going to try this tomorrow and see if it works, which I bet it will. Thanks! I'll keep you updated!

Haha, I think if you do this your problems will drift away. ^_^

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik