DJI only honoring their Phantom 3 warranty if purchasing from dealer (starting 7/18/2016)

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Per an email from DJI, they are now only honoring their Phantom 3 warranty if you buy your Phantom from an authorized DJI dealer

To provide you with ever better service, DJI will now only provide warranty services for products purchased from Authorized Resellers. Products purchased from unauthorized Resellers are not subject to warranty services. This rule takes effect today. Customers who have already bought DJI products will not be affected.

Before buying a DJI product, visit the official DJI website to find an authorized DJI dealer where you can make your purchase.

When applying for a warranty service, the sales invoice of the product requiring warranty repair must be provided.

Here are some key points from DJI's warranty:
  • This only affects US customers
  • This applies to DJI products purchased after July 18th, 2016
If you're looking to buy a Phantom in the US, you should purchase directly from DJI or from an authorized DJI dealer. I keep an updated list of sellers on Amazon who are authorized DJI dealers here. You can also find a list of authorized DJI dealers here on DJI's website.

Last edited:
So this would not just apply to those that purchase on or after 8/1, this will affect all that were previously purchased??

So this would not just apply to those that purchase on or after 8/1, this will affect all that were previously purchased??
Per their warranty, this applies to purchases made after July 18th, 2016.

Last edited:
I think they are trying to crack down on the people selling way below MSRP.

I think they are trying to crack down on the people selling way below MSRP.
I think I saw it, they are selling the Phantoms through e-commerce platform and the price tag was so low, even lower than the US ones from DJI website. How is that possible?

"To provide you with ever better service, DJI will now only provide warranty services for products purchased from Authorized Resellers"

Kind of insulting as do they really think anyone would see this as "better service". But that is DJI for you.

This is very good to know and it's a great post. Thanks.

DJI implementation of their warranty is terrible. It does not even come close to meeting the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. There is a reason why it's required that a manufacture provide the warranty along with the product... it's so the custom can know exactly what is covered at the time of purchase. DJI does not include their warranty with the product (at least not in the last many purchases I've made) and they are not above _changing_ the warranty without telling anyone. This one is my favor change that they added without telling anyone:

n. Respective product has not been sent back to DJI 7 calendar days after warranty service confirmation from DJI.

It's my favorite as they changed it because of me. :)

Reactions: brickard
This isn't particularly unusual. Lots of camera manufacturers do the same. It's one way to keep control of the supply line, soft of.

One important note is that DJI itself has a rather poor return policy. 7 days after you return it unless there is a clear manufacturing defect. In addition, it's full of waffle words and is poorly written.

The better retailers offer much more generous refund policies. That is important in an expensive device with so-so manufacturing quality. I had one P3P who's camera was OK, but noticeably softer at 4K than the other. DJI thought it was 'in tolerance' when I sent them pics. B&H just swapped it out.

BJs and other clubs are listed as ok, but ironically none of the links on the online page seem to work.

Where to Buy | DJI[/QUOTE

Interesting. "Crutchfield" is listed as a official retailer, B&H (one of the largest online and physical video / photo / audio stores in the world) is not.

Yep, It's DJI...

Hmmm...if this is true, DJI is going to find themselves in trouble...IMHO.

It's very well known that they push product HARD to their dealers and distributors - who, then, move the product through other sources.

Now they say they want their cake and eat it too?
If so, they are making a big mistake, IMHO.....

Hmmm...if this is true, DJI is going to find themselves in trouble...IMHO.
Yep -- it's true.

Email.png

Opps - it looks like this is for real.....
It's in their warranty! Bad move
h. For customers in North America, please note: DJI products purchased after July 18th, 2016 are covered under warranty only if they are purchased from DJI authorized dealears.

"In order to provide you with even better service"

Doubleplus ungood!

Curious if this violates any warranty slash consumer protection laws in some states?

I purchased my P4 thru Amazon on the 7th of July but the order was filled by a company (SSE) out of New York City. Based on what I read today I guess mine would be covered. But I bet this will change how Amazon presents their offers.....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The 54$ question is Why? What is the reason for doing this?

Reactions: BillyP13

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik