DJI new releases?

Reaction score
Hi all.. I am new to the board. I live in Seattle and am definitely planning on getting a Phantom. I am still practicing on a little $80 Dromida quad, and am hesitant to drop $1400 right now since we don't get very many nice flying days in the winter. My plan is to practice with the little $80 toy I bought and then buy a Phantom in April or May as our weather starts to get better. My question is if anyone knows or expects DJI to come out with the "next" version of the Phantom before May? I figure by waiting, I will get a little more practice under my belt and by Spring a new version will be out of the price on the existing Phantom 2 Vision + will drop again.... Thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There have been rumors here about a Phantom 3 coming out this December. I seriously doubt that will happen as it is too late, in the season, to introduce a new Phantom.

Other rumors are of DJI saying they will be introducing a new product in the first quarter of the year. I can certainly relate as when I invest in an expensive item, it seems as if a new version comes out shortly after the purchase!

I don't think anyone here can tell you, with absolute certainty when a new Phantom will be introduced. But, if your climate is so cold, this time of the year, that you wouldn't be flying anyway, perhaps waiting until the weather becomes warmer, might be a good choice.

On the other hand, you have to jump in at sometime! Allow time that needs to be spent reading the downloadable manual.

So, you could wait until May and they introduce a new one in June. If the weather is suitable now, jump in!

First, Welcome to the forum. The V3 have not been out too long & the new Inspire is just coming out so it may be a month of so before they release another Phantom. But again sometimes DJI does things that only they understand. Until the end of December, I think they are giving 3 batteries with the purchase of a V3. (that is a pretty good deal) JMO, if you have been flying that little quad, you should not have any problems with a phantom. Again, welcome aboard.

Phantom 3 ?
Why did they release Inspire 1, then ?

Is it not in the segment ?

I think, their new release is Inspire 1 only.

Larry L said:
First, Welcome to the forum. The V3 have not been out too long & the new Inspire is just coming out so it may be a month of so before they release another Phantom. But again sometimes DJI does things that only they understand. Until the end of December, I think they are giving 3 batteries with the purchase of a V3. (that is a pretty good deal) JMO, if you have been flying that little quad, you should not have any problems with a phantom. Again, welcome aboard.

Isn't the P3 just a P2 with an updated version 3 software update? I don't think a true phantom 3 exists, yet.

dirkclod said:
From sources I have DJI will not be producing anymore P2V's and only selling them till present stock is depleted so if I want one I would get it. Now that was from a DJI service center in the US and seeing them push the + so hard I can beleave it. Now maybe they have another one coming out we haven't got wind of it yet I do not know,but that was the info I got today.

Well, that does seem to imply a possible new Phantom release. But, the question is when? Only they know that and they have changed the release date of the Inspire 1.

Can they even release a new Phantom while they are still working out the bugs in the Inspire 1??

There is no Phantom 3. The box says Phantom 2, it just has a couple upgrades.
Why should there even be a Phantom 3?

dirkclod said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Larry L said:

Isn't the P3 just a P2 with an updated version 3 software update? I don't think a true 3 exists, yet.
Unless I am mistaken a V3 is the P2 with the upgraded motors and other stuff...phanthttp://www.phantompilots.com/viewt ... &t=29907om

The P2 upgrade with the new motors/ESC/transmitter is the P2 Version 2.0.

Fyod said:
There is no Phantom 3. The box says Phantom 2, it just has a couple upgrades.
Why should there even be a Phantom 3?
I believe the Phantom 2 Vision+ was originally known by people who were waiting for the P3 as the P3.

dirkclod said:
Thanks for the correction Hughie I stand corrected ! Now I know what mine will be when it gets back from shop ;)
I think :?
The only reason I know is that Quadcopters advertised it as V3, and when I ordered one and it arrived it said V2 on the side of the box. When I queried it they said they had made an error on their web page (and invoice!) and confirmed that the Vision had a V3, but the latest P2 is V2. That is really clear isnt it :lol:

I'm waiting for the GoPro Drone 2015, see if they have anything to compete with DJI. How about GPS/Compass calibrated perfection in a frame and camera that can handle the inevitable crashes. Or maybe GoPro will just buy DJI and call it game over... :twisted:

As others have indicated, welcome to the forum. I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus v2, purchased in late October, with which I have had complete success. As I understand it, the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3 is the same aircraft, except that it includes the upgraded ESC's, motors and 9450 props, and the new controller (rechargeable, and with a "detent" so you can lock it into Descend mode).

I purchased the new controller, mainly because you can recharge it, rather than worrying about the status of the four AA batteries on the previous controller.

You might find a good deal on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus v2, or opt for the v3, but for sure, ascertain which version you would get when talking to the dealer. I purchased mine from dronefly.com, with whom I have been well pleased.

dirkclod said:
How do you like the new TX ?

It is all good, although ideally I would prefer a gimbal pitch control which had more of a feel of a positional analogue input, rather one which just varies the speed. What they have given us has more of a "feel" of a digital input and is missing a big trick IMV.

If I am flying without FPV I would like to be able to move the camera angle at will to a known position. I am not that bothered what speed the camera moves as long as I can configure it once, via the Assistant.

Hughie said:
.....If I am flying without FPV I would like to be able to move the camera angle at will to a known position. I am not that bothered what speed the camera moves as long as I can configure it once, via the Assistant.
Looks like it acts just like the pot mod on the old unit. Known position would be nice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj