DJI: New P3A Purchaser AFRAID to Fly!

Reaction score
Admittedly, I am just expecting my P3A to arrive any day but darned if I'm not afraid to even put the bird in the air after everything I'm reading in this blog.

First, there seems to be a plethora of contributors, new or seasoned flyers, that are experiencing cracks in their plastic around the screws. For the most part, I'm not concerned about that. It seems the problem is recognized and DJI is being accountable. The downside is simply the hassle of RMA and time lost. It is what it is.

Second, regarding firmware and updates and P3's dropping out of the air. Holy mackerel DJI!! I've read a lot of these posts by diehard, loyal and often seasoned pilots that are losing control of their P3's lately. For me, a new pilot, it seems like the incidence is way too big to ignore and frankly, has me scared to even fly my new bird until I feel others from the community feel as though things are fixed. That's just terrible to feel that way so I hope you're on top of this DJI bc if I'm feeling this way and writing about it then there's 10 more enthusiasts out there that feel the same way and are sitting on the proverbial fence!!!

Thank you, to this Phantom Pilot community, for posting all of the relevant personal experiences, good, bad and indifferent. The material is very important and I appreciate all of the details!

DJI...you just shouldn't have a community of pilots worried about flying their quads. It's bad for business. So hopefully you're all wrestling with the problems so that we can all return to being confident our P3's will fly above the earth and return to terra firma safely! Thank you!!!

For every post of a problem, there's a thousand of uneventful but fun flights.
Very few post "I had a great flight today, took some amazing video, and I didn't crash or watch my drone fly-away."

I was pretty terrified as well my first time. I did as the previous poster said. I went to a big open field, went up about 20 feet and stopped. Literally let the thing hover for like 5 minutes before I got the courage to touch the sticks. Then I just did some very basic maneuvers like forward, back, left right. I did this a few times then landed and called it a day. My hands were sweaty and my heart was racing. Next day same thing... But a couple more steps. Then just kept adding more and more. Read the posts but learn by doing.. If you stay safe and follow the basic steps for safe flight you will do fine..... We hope.... Hahaha

A common mistake is to be unable to resist trying it in the backyard, get slightly muddled which is left and right when it has turned and crash into a bush/tree/house on 1st or 2nd flight.
You want a LARGE open area and don't go near any trees or building unless well above them.
Altitude might seem risky but is your friend and there's nothing to hit !

Just keep it well within range at first so it's easy to see which way is front.
'Drive' it around in a figure of 8 using forward and gentle left/right yaw.
Try a circle around yourself or some nearby object while using opposing yaw to keep the camera facing towards the center as you go around.
It really won't crack or fall out of the sky (most times :p)

For every post of a problem, there's a thousand of uneventful but fun flights.
Very few post "I had a great flight today, took some amazing video, and I didn't crash or watch my drone fly-away."

I don't doubt it! I especially enjoy reading the pearls of wisdom the seasoned pilots spew out occasionally. I write it all down. Thanks for the encouragement all.

Reactions: dube4peace
I still get butterflies no matter how well I plan my flights, but with each successful flight those feelings are now more like exhilaration than fear. The more I get to know the bird the more I trust it, and I have yet to experience a situation where it did not perform as-expected. It's just that early-on I didn't always know what to expect (very much like when I first started programming computers).

For the record, "I had a great flight yesterday, took some amazing (OK, decent) video, and didn't crash or watch my drone fly-away".

I haven't checked in a while, but I assume there's still a beginner mode in the GO App. I believe it is set to "on" when you use the app for the first time until you're ready to turn it off.

It limits your height to 100' among other things. Everyone else's advice is sound, too. Big field. Simple up-down and back-and-forth maneuvers at low altitudes (but clearly above your head!). Use the auto-land feature and watch what it does. Then try the same thing manually, slowly.

Agreed with others.

You have to realize this forum represents maybe 10% of all owners?

Overall these things are great to fly and if you use common sense you will have lots of fun for a long time!

McVenturesRC,

Can certainly identify with your feelings on this, I too just purchased a P3P and have been reading the posts here and others originating from the new Dji Group on Facebook. It's quite overwhelming!
Good to see others chiming in here with some positive experiences!

I've been flying helicopters for a while, collective pitch is much harder than these quads! But what helped me was buying a $30 usb controller with a simulation program. You can even find DJI quads out there that you can fly right on your PC. Practice and learn orientation, this will put you at ease with flying your new $1200 toy! I'm doing research now to figure out firmware upgrade or not...we'll see!

Mine is now with DJI. I had total confidence until it crashed. Probably an engine failure. Have confidence, it's a fantastic machine, just remember it's hardware & software and something can go wrong. So do not fly in areas where you may bring harm to others if it does fail, however unlikely that may be. Other than that just enjoy!

McVenturesRC,

Can certainly identify with your feelings on this, I too just purchased a P3P and have been reading the posts here and others originating from the new Dji Group on Facebook. It's quite overwhelming!
Good to see others chiming in here with some positive experiences!

I've been flying helicopters for a while, collective pitch is much harder than these quads! But what helped me was buying a $30 usb controller with a simulation program. You can even find DJI quads out there that you can fly right on your PC. Practice and learn orientation, this will put you at ease with flying your new $1200 toy! I'm doing research now to figure out firmware upgrade or not...we'll see!

You could also use the built in simulator if you wanted to get familiar with it before you flew

Reactions: old_hat
You could also use the built in simulator if you wanted to get familiar with it before you flew
Great advice. I never flew a drone before. Practiced with the built in flight simulator for couple days. When it came time to fly, started in a wide open field, practiced using same moves as the simulator. It all clicked together.

Reactions: Tony Clixby
I had a great flight on Friday. Took some amazing video. Bird didn't crash. Bird didn't fly away. Bird didn't crack. Bird impresses the hell out of me every time I fly. Whatever happens happens, it is a human designed/built product that I'm sure will have an issue sooner or later but for now I'm enjoying every flight!!!!

I own a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and a Phantom 3 Pro. Been flying Phantom's for 3 years. I've only had one bad flight (with a Phantom), and that was with the P1 when I didn't secure the battery door and the battery fell out at about 100 ft AGL. Destroyed the shell, replaced it myself and haven't had any issues since. No stress cracks here either.

Find a large open area like everyone says, stand about 30 feet back from your Quad, and FLY! Like you've been advised - do some basic maneuvers and develop a feel for the Phantom. Do that a few times and add a little more "daring" to each flight until you feel comfortable. You will love your drone!

Reactions: littlesister36
I can understand your apprehension. I did a lot of reading before purchasing my first gps enabled quad back in April. I discovered the flyaway issue was a real concern and my choice of brand was more about customer support than anything else. I came away with the impression Blade/Horizon Hobby was the way to go and so I bought a Bkade 350 qx3. I was nervous my first flight and I took all the usual precautions before flying. Guess what, after 3 minutes or so into the first flight I lost rc control and the copter went wonky and flew away never to be seen again. Talk about a moral buster. After about a month of consulting with Horizon Hobby they reluctantly agreed to replace it. It has flown great since and I have also acquired a P2 and a P3A and they too have flown great. Like others have said. Take your time, get to know your bird and have fun. There's no sense in stressing and worrying if you're going to be involved in this hobby.

Wait till you feel your heart beating when it's up 400' in the air lol, hey back your arm screws out a half a turn and go for it!

I have an advanced and a pro. 200+ flights and no crashes or fly aways. Did have cracks on the pro but I shipped it in and had it back in about 10 days, free of charge. Just read the manual, take your time learning all you can, and have fun!

My two cents, I was the same as you, did my research (almost bought a Solo) and chose DJI. I bought this for my business (a tool to use) and if that is your situation your going to have to just buy two one for backup only. If you are a hobbyist you will be ok. Try the simulator to get the feel of things than play in beginner mode for a few flights, get a safe to fly app and then find a big field (really) with no trees to worry about you will be fine. If you want to go up a notch take lessons from someone who knows (schools are popping up) online and hobby stores. Best of luck to you and if your on the East Coast NJ/NYC let's talk. I just found a place to learn and fly that is going to be great for the industry. Their building a 8 acre flight school with store. They are getting ready for registration and certification down the line (it's coming).

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel Voyer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4