DJI needs to FIX this problem - pronto

Reaction score
There is one very unfriendly surprise lurking in DJI's controller software that I totally ABHOR.

What is it? It is the reset of photo and video settings that happen when you change any of the 'smart flight' option on the controller.

Here is what happened to me yesterday when I was shooting a building out of town. I was in standard flight mode, taking stills in both DNG and JPG since I like to work from the DNG files for best quality. I took a few stills then decided to do some video. I went to one of the 'smart modes' and shot some video... now at 30 fps because my 60 fps got changed when I went into smart mode.

Then, I went back to shooting still images for about 5 minutes when I remembered the reset issue and, lo and behold, the last 5 minutes of stills were no longer being saved as DNG's.

There might be a way to fix this. I do not know if the settings are saves when moving in and out of the intelligent flight settings. I might need to explore that.

But, I can tell you this for sure... it makes NO sense for DJI to make the image setting for video and photo VOLATILE. They need to be GLOBAL settings that remain in place regardless of how you choose to fly your craft.

Anyone else have this happen to them or have an opinion? I just think it is a waste of time to be mid-flight, go to change the flight mode, then have to additionally go back and reset all of the imaging settings. Time is precious when flying and having to take eyes off the sky to fuss with these things is potentially hazardous as well.

Forgot to mention that EVERYTHING changes when you go to the other flight modes. Aspect ratio, manual/aperture/shutter priority. ISO. ALL of it gets tossed and when you go back to 'manual mode' you have to set everything back to where you want it.

That is just plain stupid.

Last edited:
OK, now I am totally confused.

Playing with it some more today, the settings are NOW holding. Yesterday... no. Today... yes.

Something else is going on that is making this jump around. Maybe it was loading a preset? Perhaps that holds until I make a change, then the defaults set in?

I have no idea, but feel I need to know in order to avoid making a mistake.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Hmmm, interesting Jim! Never had this yet as I don't fly many of the smart modes except for POI. Wonder if settings would change using POI?

Lack of sticky settings is an issue with the Go4 app in general. When going in and out of flight modes, when switching video to still mode, when swapping batteries, when using a different phone/tablet, when shooting a video while in still mode or a still while in video mode, and I'm sure more situations I haven't yet encountered.

I basically just have to check all my settings prior to every flight and before taking any potentially important shots and video within a flight. It's extremely annoying.

Yes! I had my video and photo settings randomly changed. Video changed from 1080 to 4k and photos changed from Raw only to jpeg. I occasionally use Litchi but, haven't changed these settings in that program, only things like ISO, shutter, etc.

This is very irritating, but at least I now know to verify this stuff. Just another thing to have to deal with pre-flight.

There is one very unfriendly surprise lurking in DJI's controller software that I totally ABHOR.

What is it? It is the reset of photo and video settings that happen when you change any of the 'smart flight' option on the controller.

Here is what happened to me yesterday when I was shooting a building out of town. I was in standard flight mode, taking stills in both DNG and JPG since I like to work from the DNG files for best quality. I took a few stills then decided to do some video. I went to one of the 'smart modes' and shot some video... now at 30 fps because my 60 fps got changed when I went into smart mode.

Then, I went back to shooting still images for about 5 minutes when I remembered the reset issue and, lo and behold, the last 5 minutes of stills were no longer being saved as DNG's.

There might be a way to fix this. I do not know if the settings are saves when moving in and out of the intelligent flight settings. I might need to explore that.

But, I can tell you this for sure... it makes NO sense for DJI to make the image setting for video and photo VOLATILE. They need to be GLOBAL settings that remain in place regardless of how you choose to fly your craft.

Anyone else have this happen to them or have an opinion? I just think it is a waste of time to be mid-flight, go to change the flight mode, then have to additionally go back and reset all of the imaging settings. Time is precious when flying and having to take eyes off the sky to fuss with these things is potentially hazardous as well.

Forgot to mention that EVERYTHING changes when you go to the other flight modes. Aspect ratio, manual/aperture/shutter priority. ISO. ALL of it gets tossed and when you go back to 'manual mode' you have to set everything back to where you want it.

That is just plain stupid.

Reactions: AyeYo
The authors of "Litchi" confirmed me that switching from Litchi to Go4 resets all camera-settings.
They blame it on the DJI SDK version 3.
Hopefully it will be fixed on SDK version 4.

The authors of "Litchi" confirmed me that switching from Litchi to Go4 resets all camera-settings.
Wow! That's a real bummer! :eek:
Good to know! Thanks! :cool:

FWIW, I used DJI go4 only, this weekend and from Saturday to Sunday the camera settings were reset. Litchi was not used and no applications were on in the background. Bottom line, there is some weirdness going on with the software.

Also, lately I've recently had the app freeze/crash on my nexus 7 and that's never happened previously.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl