DJI may have a REAL problem on their hands

Reaction score
If this turns out to be all that it's being advertised to be.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hjY9doVZEM[/youtube]

phantomguy said:
DJI may have a REAL problem on their hands If this turns out to be all that it's being advertised to be.

...and what might that problem be? I cannot imagine a product from another manufacturer will make my Phantom any less cool? Personally, a little competition should make ALL products better, heheh :mrgreen:

The Tali 500 is very cool. I've been checking it out for several months. The 12 channel controller with the built-in FVP receiver and screen is awesome. It is considerably more expensive than the Vision+, at $1899.00. It is also new, built in China like the Vision+, so there are no real world tests on actual performance and reliability. If you think losing a $1300 Vision+ is bad, imagine losing that! :shock:

DCGOO said:
phantomguy said:
DJI may have a REAL problem on their hands If this turns out to be all that it's being advertised to be.

...and what might that problem be? I cannot imagine a product from another manufacturer will make my Phantom any less cool? Personally, a little competition should make ALL products better, heheh :mrgreen:

The problem will be a significant reduction in DJI's Phantom 2 Vision + market sales for Q3, Q4 2014 for starters.

Dirty Bird said:
The Tali 500 is very cool. I've been checking it out for several months. The 12 channel controller with the built-in FVP receiver and screen is awesome. It is considerably more expensive than the Vision+, at $1899.00. It is also new, built in China like the Vision+, so there are no real world tests on actual performance and reliability. If you think losing a $1300 Vision+ is bad, imagine losing that! :shock:

I seem to recall the Vision + having a MSRP on Amazon when it FIRST came out for $1600 or something like that. As with most things, the price tends to drop after the initial shipment, then incrementally over time. $1900 isnt really a realistic pricepoint for it longer term. I expect it to hit the sub $1500 range before year end, if history is any indication of how these things go.

And you are correct, will be very interesting to see how it actually performs in the real world. Looking forward to reviews as they arrive in the hands of buyers in the next couple of weeks.

I assume with 6 motors/props, if one motor fails, unlike the Phantom, the Tali 500 can continue to fly?

I dont see it as a huge stepup. Its nice to see competition alright but what happens when the p3 is released? Having on screen controls and camera raw capabilities is really what has sold the vision series for me. I'll be hanging on to see what comes out for the xmas market. 6 props, while more reliable isn't really a deal breaker for me either as there havent been too many reports of phantoms going down with a broken prop.

It's a step up from the Phantom. Closer to the DJI F550 class.
Significantly larger though, so no doubt so it will be harder to travel with and hike with.

I like the built in FPV monitor but it looks like a one way link so no way to control the camera in the air.
Don't know if the 25 minute flight time is real. With 6 motors it should suck up the battery quickly.

I had one in my cart over the weekend and "almost" pulled the trigger. It is indeed $1899. Showing out of stock for the Mode 2 version now. Unlike the Vision+, the controller is 2.4 Ghz, while FVP operates on 5.8 Ghz. If you notice the copter-side FVP transmitter is integrated into the iLook camera. The camera appears to have its own internal battery, so I am curious as to the range/longevity of the FVP with the transmitter being integrated. Also might affect the ability to perform aftermarket mods. Apparently a GoPro can be substituted on the gimbal in place of the iLook camera. Not sure what that would do to FVP as I don't think GoPros offer integrated 5.8 Ghz FVP as does the iLook?

The battery is a 6-cell 22.2 volt, 5400 mAh pack. Not much more total capacity than the Phantom, though the motors may prove more efficient with the increased voltage? Of course you have 50% more motors to power. I almost ordered one, but thought I would wait and see how they are performing in the real world.

I love it! The only glaring problem is having the legs up in a crash. Like playing NFL football without a cup!

It seems to have addressed many of the issues with the P2V+, but the size is a significant factory for me. I like the portability/travel options with the Phantom.

Inability to control the camera (stop start video, take pics) while in flight would be a major drawback indeed, for me.

Anyone know the pros/cons of 5.8 for FPV and 2.4 for Transmission? (Other than I assume transmission control would run out before FPV?)

But if that's a standard go pro attached to a separately sold gimbal thats of a reasonable price, that is a huge benefit/pro.

I assume flying with the legs retracted is only needed to take certain shots/pics, and that generally its advised to fly with the legs extended

Most FVP systems are 5.8 Ghz. The Phantom FC-40/Vision/Vision+ is the exception.

I would expect you would actually get longer control range on 2.4 Ghz.

If I am reading the specs correctly, I believe the GoPro will work on the same gimbal. I would like to download the Tali 500 manual to see what sort of camera control you have from the remote, but I don't see it on the Walkera site. The iLook camera manual shows up, but the link is dead.

cahutch said:
It's a step up from the Phantom. Closer to the DJI F550 class.
Significantly larger though, so no doubt so it will be harder to travel with and hike with.

I like the built in FPV monitor but it looks like a one way link so no way to control the camera in the air.
Don't know if the 25 minute flight time is real. With 6 motors it should suck up the battery quickly.

I believe there are switches on the TX that control the camera, if using Walkera's camera...

-slinger

A little more info on ordering the Tali H500:

*Shipping to the USA via UPS is $79.50. They do NOT offer insurance on your shipment!
*If you pay via PayPay, they charge you a 4.8% surcharge. With shipping/surcharge it is $2078.26
*The gimbal does indeed support both iLook & GoPro cameras, which appear to be identical in size.
*Don't see a "what's in the box" description so no idea on spare props, # of batteries, etc..
*There are NO spare parts offered at all. No props, no batteries, nothing!
*Can't find manuals for any of this stuff online.

gunslinger said:
I believe there are switches on the TX that control the camera, if using Walkera's camera...

There is a roller lever on the right side that allows you to control camera tilt. Without the manual, no way to know what is controllable from the ground, how many channels are used by the 12-channel controller, or if it is mated with a 12-channel receiver. Would be nice to have some spare channels available for customization or add-ons.

I have one in the cart and I am so tempted to order, but I am going to hold off. Its too new, I can't get complete specs or read the manuals, and there are no spare parts or pricing available. Afraid to see what they want for a battery! :?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.