DJI Mavic Unfolding Animations

I think you are looking at a drone for a slightly different market like more active people who want to be followed while participating in sports like skiing and biking.
I doubt this is intended for photographers

I think you are looking at a drone for a slightly different market like more active people who want to be followed while participating in sports like skiing and biking.
I doubt this is intended for photographers

We'll see, seems to be holding all of the P4's goodies and why not even more?

One thing is sure though although practiced by just a handful of phantom pilots and clearly against all safety rules *cough* hand catching seems to end with that bird, and even if smaller and lighter, I can think of quite a few scenarios where landing with this low clearance might be an issue for some....

I got a P3A just over a year ago. Took it up a couple days ago to make sure it's in working order for an upcoming event. I've charged the battery 24 times. Have had no interest in drone shopping as the P3 does everything I want, just a pain to haul around.

I've had no interest in a P4 and many times I considered taking my P3 I didn't because it's bulky to transport.

The Mavic has my interest. I could put it in the saddle bag on my bike and go. Throw it in the care without worrying about snapping off an arm or leg. Etc.

Scared to know what it will cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giving Mavics small size, and probably weight too, I wonder what the flight time would be on it.. hopefully DJI can pack in an extra 10 minutes in it, and squeeze 30min of true flight time out of it.. that would be a serious blow to Karma with their 20min flight time. i realize the battery is probably going to be smaller too, but still, a few extra mins of flight time would be niiice...

I was hoping for cheaper, but if it has the features of a P4 in a smaller package that really isn't bad.

Wonder how compact the Tx will be.

The site also says there will be cheaper models one without light bridge and one without light bridge and no 4k like the phantoms. But we'll see on the 27th!! Can't wait

I've flown with Lightbridge, no way I could go back to WiFi.

I can do without 4K, my computer takes forever to create a proxy just to edit 2.7K.

Reactions: liketogethigh
I set the GoPro to 4K one time, it's been on 1080 ever since due to my. Lack of computing power.

4K is really the future tho.. 4k quality is noticeably better, even on regular 1080 screens. 4K is gonna be the standard on everything soon.
I bought a GoPro4 Silver this summer, the frame rate for 4K on it is 15 fps = shyt. I definitely regret not spending an extra $100-$200 on a GoPro black edition (4K at 30fps).
I won't make the same mistake again, when it comes to drones and cameras.

Reactions: m0j0 and Falcon900
Could be cool with a more compact drone that is more easy & less fragile to transport. I hope for smaller propels that makes less noise. I think the Phantoms draws to much wanted/unwanted attention with all the sound it makes. I often takes the Syma x5 for a "discrete spin" in the neighborhood, instead of the Phantom. I hope for a P3 Advanced type edition with Lightbridge, and rather a 1080p/2.7k camera.

Let's hope for some good, "wife friendly" prices! :D

Could be cool with a more compact drone that is more easy & less fragile to transport. I hope for smaller propels that makes less noise. I think the Phantoms draws to much wanted/unwanted attention with all the sound it makes. I often takes the Syma x5 for a "discrete spin" in the neighborhood, instead of the Phantom. I hope for a P3 Advanced type edition with Lightbridge, and rather a 1080p/2.7k camera.

Let's hope for some good, "wife friendly" prices! :D

Smaller props would make more noise.

You would need larger, slower moving props for less noise. I actually like the noise. Everyone who's seen mine loses the "spying" fear as soon as they realize how loud it it. Destroying the myth one bystander at a time.

Reactions: Biggle
4K is really the future tho.. 4k quality is noticeably better, even on regular 1080 screens. 4K is gonna be the standard on everything soon.
I bought a GoPro4 Silver this summer, the frame rate for 4K on it is 15 fps = shyt. I definitely regret not spending an extra $100-$200 on a GoPro black edition (4K at 30fps).
I won't make the same mistake again, when it comes to drones and cameras.

4K is only the future because it was the cheapest way for TV manufactures to claim improvement. Side by side television comparisons don't show much difference of any at a comfortable watching distance for an average size (50") TV.

The recording quality comparison is noticeable, but it seems to be more related to color than detail. Unless you factor digital zoom of course, in which case you can crop the video to an extent then publish in 1080p with no loss of resolution in cropped portions of vid in the final cut. Optical zoom would be preferable but weight becomes a factor on consumer quads.

You mean all 10 years of it? LOL
Sounds about like the time we used to get to the Moon, eh?

It's amazing what thousands of smart people working together can accomplish in a decade!
Heck, we developed an atomic bomb in just a few years and many countries in the world can't do it 70 years later.

With all of DJI's years of drone building experience, I don't see how the Karma could possibly be better than the Mavic. Only time will tell :)

The Karma doesn't need to be "better" than the Magic to be successful. A lot of people are so frustrated with the way DJI treats their customers that they will switch as soon as something "as good as" the DJI comes along.

Karma is a fitting name - since it's DJI's bad Karma which will make the GoPro drone successful!

If DJI wants to stem the tide of people upgrading AWAY from DJI, they should do something that makes it more difficult for people to walk away - such as making their newest offering work with existing Phantom 3 batteries. Conversely - if GoPro, or any other competitor wants to encourage people to switch away from DJI - they should make their new drones compatible with DJI Phantom 3 batteries! That actually would have been a brilliant move by GoPro! I wish they had done it....!

I thought the Pumpkin was the way to go when you got fed up with DJI.

I can't imagine many LightBridge users being happy with a 1K meter range (Likely far less in most situations)

The GoPro drone is seriously a joke. Did you see the unveiling? The owner holding the Karma and screaming "it's Karma"! When most looked at it and went "woah how lame".

Karmas cool features are the compact design... It's not cool features is WiFi. In a congested area you're barely going to be able to fly 100' from you.

I guarantee you Mavic will have ten times the features, distance and equal flight times. They've already leaked that Mavic will have OA like the P4, and will fold up smaller than the Karma. I think DJI will take the P4 and put all the features and design elements into the Mavic.

Obviously I don't like Karma. It would be great if I had a drawer full of GoPro's. But let's face it, most people don't. Karma is a GoPro bolt on accessory. That's it. If you have a GoPro it's cool.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Also, everyone talks about DJI's customer service. I've seen more people on here surprised by how good they actually do, despite the long history of bad service.

I had a drone fall from the sky and break into a million pieces. DJI replaced no questions asked. When I got it back I complained about losing my battery in the wreck, and they sent me a new battery, 8 new props, and new gimbal mounts. DJI is awesome. What happens is people do stupid things with their drones, and expect DJI to fix it for them. The problem is DJI knows. Like how many people try to get a replacement for a fly away... But they don't tell you that they usually are flying where they shouldn't be, and further than the recommendations. I think if it is truly a fault on the drone they fix it no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj