DJI Mandatory, uninterruptible actions are wrong, legally actionable

It's a very interesting point raised here. One I'm sure the Legal business will LOVE when it happens. They will be able to buy themselves a Leer Jet from the proceeds! :smiley:

Reactions: Drestin Black
Ok gang... let's stop the insults and such here. If it keeps up this thread will get closed.

Play nice or move along and play somewhere else.

I think the FAA has done a good job integrating drones considering many of them, like the Phantom, are just toys with no gov't. mandated or required components or functionality.

The notion of anybody being in complete or total control of a consumer-grade radio controlled toy with no redundancy seems a bit shortsighted.
Similar to the continual comparison of these toys to other forms of manned transportation.

Yet we must register as pilots, follow the exact same FAA regulations, face punishment same as those pilots

So, we are treated the same as mega pilots but because our craft is such a toy we don't get the same respect,,, oh with its not a toy because you really think our 8 lb toy is as potentially devastating as a multi ton airplane? If I flew my drone j to the World Trade Center I don't think it would break a window, but the same NFZ, TFR and all rules still apply to me and breaking them gives me the same punishment as the bug guys. See the disparity?

As you say yourself, do you really think our little toy is the same as the big craft? No? Ok, then we should have relaxed rules and regs and punishment.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

(Small) Drone fliers are not subject to all of the same rules and regulations as the other aircrafts and pilots. These rules are already greatly relaxed. Sure, they come from the same book and some are the same for everybody but, very few are. If we (drone fliers) would be subjected to all of the rules and regulation as the rest of civil aviation, very few of us could afford time and expense to participate in the exercise. Heck, many of us would not find enough space to keep all of the required paperwork.

As for "what the thread is about" (as somebody else tried to school me about), my understanding is that the thread is, or at least was, about DJI legal responsibility. I think that one day, that responsibility will be decided by court. When the day comes, I'm convinced that the court will be forced to look at the actions of the pilot and take into the account to what extend actions of the pilot affected the final outcome. I would not be surprised that if the court decides that: the drone flier should've being aware of the possibility of loosing the control over the drone hence should not put the drone in a position where loosing the control may result in damage to property or somebody's wellbeing and releasing DJI from any responsibility. It will all come down to who's got better lawyers and, somehow, I am convinced that DJI can afford better lawyers than most of us ever could...

That's all from me on the subject.

Last edited:
in the end you are responsible for what happens to your drone full stop if you intentionally fly it in an urban area and over people and it falls out of the sky who's fault is it, the Dji/ the drone for failing out of the sky or you for putting it over the urban centre / people in the first place.

Oh and If you want to sell your drone and it's cheap enough there is a section on this site for that, I'm sure someone will buy it -)

Last time I checked it was illegal to fly it over people and urban centres in the first place for that very reason.

The funny part about all of this is that this is just a very expensive toy
And has the ability to fail at anytime because it's a toy
,why you would equate this to a car or and aircraft is beyond me lets be real about this.

I suppose I should sell now since I live in an urban area and there is always someone on the ground somewhere.

p.s., DJI - there is a really quick and easy fix you can do for flying into No Fly Zones, by the way. Instead of initiating a unstoppable automatic landing. Initiate, without delay, a Smart Return to Home. This way, the NFZ isn't violated but you leave control of the craft in the pilots hands.

Unless the aircraft is flown AROUND a NFZ, attempts to come back, hits the "back side" of the NFZ. RTH would send it through the NFZ - what then?

Reactions: BigAl07
Last time I checked it was illegal to fly it over people and urban centres in the first place for that very reason.

I keep looking for this and, well, it is not illegal to fly over people or in urban centers, unless I am flying under part 107, then it is just illegal to fly over people not directly involved. I fly as a hobbyist and I fly under community guidelines which suggest I should not fly over crowds but does NOT mandate that I MUST not.

I agree that there should be a way for the pilot to regain control - but I think that should be an add-on to the current model where DJI initiates the auto-landing because of low-battery or entering an NFZ. There are plenty of situations where THAT action IS the safest thing to do.

Your wording states that the "pilot must always have full control" which makes it seem like you want the current safety features to be removed. Can you elaborate? Is that true? Or are you asking for a way to "take back" control in cases where you think you have chance to prevent something bad .

I want to increase safety. I do not ask to remove NFZs.
I want the pilot to always be In charge of his craft. And that means, enjoy any automatic feature he'd like BUT, ALWAYS be able to resume manual control of his flight worthy craft.

When you lose connection and auto home self initiates, wonderful RTH does magic and hopefully soon you see that signal return and, I'll bet Almost everyone cancels and resumes flying.

The funny part about all of this is that this is just a very expensive toy
And has the ability to fail why you would equate this to a car or and aircraft is beyond me lets be real about this.

The funny part to me is that I've repeatedly explained this but somehow it's missed over and over.

Of this is just a toy, then we should have toy rules with toy police issue toy punishments. THIS "toy" has the FAA potential issuing federal arrests and charges, up to felonies, and fines and jail. Those are not how toys are treated so please step off the toy defense, it's childish.

I am responsible for anything my "toy" does so therefore I insist that I be able to pilot it at all times. I should be able to turn off automatic landings! That's all I'm asking for!!!

The funny part to me is that I've repeatedly explained this but somehow it's missed over and over.

Of this is just a toy, then we should have toy rules with toy police issue toy punishments. THIS "toy" has the FAA potential issuing federal arrests and charges, up to felonies, and fines and jail. Those are not how toys are treated so please step off the toy defense, it's childish.

I am responsible for anything my "toy" does so therefore I insist that I be able to pilot it at all times. I should be able to turn off automatic landings! That's all I'm asking for!!!

I think the pilot should always have the control . When I was flying my Cessna and getting my license, I was told I had the final choice of what my actions were even if I had to disobey the tower. I am PIC and only I can be responsible for my actions. ...good or bad.

I think the pilot should always have the control . When I was flying my Cessna and getting my license, I was told I had the final choice of what my actions were even if I had to disobey the tower. I am PIC and only I can be responsible for my actions. ...good or bad.

Exactly my entire point - doesn't matter the size of the vehicle - if there is a safety risk (crashing) then then the pilot should be in charge because he/she is certainly the one who's going to be hauled in front of a judge and has to answer for HIS actions -- so ALL the actions of the craft had either better be Exactly His or the finger is going to point the craft manufacturer. And, I don't care how big DJI is, this isn't complicated or very debatable. "You flew your drone into ____" - "No, I didn't; at the time it flew into ____ I had NO control whatsoever, DJI's software was flying, I was just an observer."

The "You shoulda known" argument is laughable; obviously never been been in civil court lol Ask yourself, why do we have product warning labels for stupid things on everything we own. Warnings on hair dryers that state, "For external body use only" etc... Yup, you shoulda known sticking it there and turning it on was gonna burn ya ... but it didnt SAY so ... I don't see any warning labels on my Phantom that state: "DJI Software may take over control, for good reason OR NOT, at any time and you can't do anything about it." Dumb? Go read some product warning labels and ask yourself, why are those there? Then you'll understand.

Sigh ..: way to be distracted from the point.

Ok you are flying over the water, the shore is just 20 feet away. It forces you to auto land and you lose your craft. You could have just eased her over and landed safely but instead drowned.

This is a very interesting thread. I did one flight at a drive in movie theater. I asked permission from the theater people. They said sure go right ahead just send us some pictures. I went to take off after checking UAV forecast and DJI go maps. Weather perfect. No fly zones? None. But when I went to start motors for lift off it pops up a message. Do you have permission to fly here? Yes. check. Do you assume full responsibility for this flight yes. check. Next came.. to verify either enter credit card or phone number. I entered phone number. A few seconds later I got a text with a code. I entered the code in the little box on my Ipad. Another check. Lift off and away I flew. Low and behold a runway off to my right. They fly Cessna and other light aircraft there. I did not even notice it on the maps as there was no BIG RED no fly circle. I immediately came down and asked the Movie staff and they informed me that there was never aircraft flying during the movies. Now the point to my story is.. had DJI seen it as a NFZ or ALZ I may have easily gone down into a car window or worse. I had a great flight and the staff were impressed with my professionalism while flying. Thanks DJI for not forcing me down.

Few issues. This is not how the drone should behave when entering a NFZ and there is no NFZ in the area that you were flying (at least not an area that would prevent any type of flying for at least 5 miles. Nothing on the GEO map.

So I'd need to question exactly why the drone started to land as When entering a NFZ the drone should give a warning and simply stop. It would thern hover if not moved and start to land at critical battery (usually 10%). So none of that behavior is typical of flying within 1.5 miles any GEO point.

You may want to review the flight logs to see what they show. You can upload them to healthydrones.com .
Sorry fairly new. Where do I find flight logs. Is that the "garbage files" that are created on my SD card?

I fly MR over 5 years now, I don't call myself as pilot. I always called myself hobbyist.

If fly this as hobby, all you needed are common safety rules.

RC hobbyists have done flying for age. Why need another set of rules?
I used to fly RC planes. Years ago. No camera though and range was as far as I could see. But once I got so far away I could not tell which way was forward back right or left without a large movement. These new things are far from toys. They can kill and it will not be long with the price factor dropping before they do if not already. I can technically sit in my living room and fly up to 5000 meters away. In reality I am lucky to get past 1500 but even at that unless I am very high I cannot see my drone due to trees, houses etc. The thought of going under a tree and suddenly getting a no signal returning to home scares the hell out of me. I paid Over $3000 for this thing I don't want it to die. Especially if I was forced into something I could have easily stopped.

I suppose I should sell now since I live in an urban area and there is always someone on the ground somewhere.
Rules I have read. No closer than 500 feet to people, houses, roads, animals. max altitude 300 feet. They don't stipulate if by animals they mean only domestic or wild? There are animals everywhere. basically there is no where I could fly by those rules.

I want to increase safety. I do not ask to remove NFZs.
I want the pilot to always be In charge of his craft. And that means, enjoy any automatic feature he'd like BUT, ALWAYS be able to resume manual control of his flight worthy craft.

When you lose connection and auto home self initiates, wonderful RTH does magic and hopefully soon you see that signal return and, I'll bet Almost everyone cancels and resumes flying.

Yup.

I have to also step up here and have my two cents. I agree with this comment:

"Yes, but what if you just needed that 15 more seconds of power between 1% and 0% to make it just those few more feet to safety -- at least you have the possibility as the pilot to try. DJI is taking that away and saying, Sorry, you are done when I say you are DESPITE the fact that at this moment right now you have a perfectly fine flying and safe aircraft."

Over a State Park historical site in eastern Arizona, I was recording an Indian Kiva. This was during the period when the battery cells issue would sometimes cause an Inspire v1 battery to show 70+% one minute, then suddenly drop to something like 7-3% in seconds. Mine did this over a very sensitive archaeological dig! I had only seconds to respond and to fly it (at full speed, further draining the batteries) to the parking lot I was fling from — some 300 yards from its location. I barely made it down, landing it at 1% battery life!

If I had lost the ability to make that decision, and the quad had just landed itself there and then, this could have caused a local issue among the sites self-procialined stewards (the Zuni) making further aerial photography of this site impossible for pilots who might want to do this later.

WE NEED TOTAL CONTROL over these birds. Leave the NFZ overrides in, in an OPTIONAL mode, please! This goes for elevation and ALL PILOT DECISIONS. We deserve this right and are paying for it every time we purchase your craft. This is one of this issues that comes from the idea of ideals like "freedom" and "democracy": PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

We love DJI multirotors, don't scare us off, please? : )

I have to also step up here and have my two cents. I agree with this comment:

"Yes, but what if you just needed that 15 more seconds of power between 1% and 0% to make it just those few more feet to safety -- at least you have the possibility as the pilot to try. DJI is taking that away and saying, Sorry, you are done when I say you are DESPITE the fact that at this moment right now you have a perfectly fine flying and safe aircraft."

Over a State Park historical site in eastern Arizona, I was recording an Indian Kiva. This was during the period when the battery cells issue would sometimes cause an Inspire v1 battery to show 70+% one minute, then suddenly drop to something like 7-3% in seconds. Mine did this over a very sensitive archaeological dig! I had only seconds to respond and to fly it (at full speed, further draining the batteries) to the parking lot I was fling from — some 300 yards from its location. I barely made it down, landing it at 1% battery life!

If I had lost the ability to make that decision, and the quad had just landed itself there and then, this could have caused a local issue among the sites self-procialined stewards (the Zuni) making further aerial photography of this site impossible for pilots who might want to do this later.

WE NEED TOTAL CONTROL over these birds. Leave the NFZ overrides in, in an OPTIONAL mode, please! This goes for elevation and ALL PILOT DECISIONS. We deserve this right and are paying for it every time we purchase your craft. This is one of this issues that comes from the idea of ideals like "freedom" and "democracy": PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

We love DJI multirotors, don't scare us off, please? : )
YOU ARE ENTERING A NO FLY ZONE CONTINUE? YES OR NO
YOUR FUEL IS LOW EMERGENCY LANDING SUGGESTED YES OR NO
YOU ARE ABOUT TO HIT AN OBSTACLE (forward sensors) YES OR NO
I was flying one day had prop guards in place. 200 feet up no where near anything my drone stops moving forwards. I could not move forward , or to sides. It was a windy day. I had to back up. An over ride of the forward sensor would have been nice. Yeah I know I could go into setting and turn forward sensor off but I was very very new to the drone than and did not want to open a bunch of windows losing my view.

I agree that there should be a way for the pilot to regain control - but I think that should be an add-on to the current model where DJI initiates the auto-landing because of low-battery or entering an NFZ. There are plenty of situations where THAT action IS the safest thing to do.

Your wording states that the "pilot must always have full control" which makes it seem like you want the current safety features to be removed. Can you elaborate? Is that true? Or are you asking for a way to "take back" control in cases where you think you have chance to prevent something bad from happening?

No matter what DJI decides to do about giving back control - the feature could certainly be made MUCH safer and smarter. Here are some suggestions:
(4,5 and 6 are pretty ambitious - but 1,2 and 3 are fairly easy to accomplish and should have been done before now!)

1. Using GPS, determine whether or not the drone is directly overtop of a highway. If so, auto navigate to the side of the road before auto-landing.
2. Same thing about being over a lake or stream. Determine if there is enough battery to make it to the shore and land there. (it could only be 6-10 feet away)
3. Use the camera and try to detect movement in the landing area. If there IS movement, attempt to navigate a few feet away to an area with less movement.
4. For each NFZ, scout out in advance a "safe" place on all borders of the NFZ in which a landing could be forced without harm.
5. Launch a global, crowd-sourced database where pilots - or anyone for that matter - can provide "safe" co-ordinates of spots, zones or regions in which auto-landings are safe. Before takeoff, a drone could download a list of all "emergency landing spots within range (in case it turns out one Is necessary).
7. Create a global database of zones, areas and regions where auto-landings are prohibited no matter what. For example, roadways, houses, buildings, schoolyards, playgrounds, lakes, streams, rivers, etc. DJI Go can transfer the list of "NLZs" (No Land Zones) to the drone for a 7mi radius as soon as GPS is locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No, none of that is easy. You're assuming that things on the map are where the map thinks they are. That happens to be untrue. Lots of roads are shifted several hundred feet from reality. For a long time, my house which sits comfortably on a bluff was in the middle of a local bay. Google finally got around to fixing that.....

The other problem is that there is a limit to the computing power available to the UAV and the RC. The GO app pushes a lot of tablets / phones to the max. What you are suggesting is very computationally demanding. The 'is it moving' algorithm alone would take quite a bit of processor time.

Sure, you can do it. Not for $1000 but you can do it. Except of course for the maps. Until Google and its competitors manage to become perfect geographical engines, you may be worse off than you are now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl