DJI makes 1 billion in 2015 but why isn't it made in America ?

Reaction score
I'm amazed at the growth DJI has had doubling its turnover in 1 year and yet it's a chinese designed chinese made product. What would Donald Trump say? "Time to make quality drones in America " I'd say, but over all hats off to China, this for me is the first time I've seen a quality product designed and made in China, a good sign for things to come for China in general, why? Because they listen to their customers and strive for perfection, no different to apple really (which is designed in America).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

dont forget about colin guinn ;-)

Europe might be associated with quality - when living in the US - and it works the other way around too, when living in Europe, we often associate "Made in USA" with high quality

But why is so many things made in China ? Well, I'm just in the middle of it at the moment !! I've been working as an electronics technician / SMD electronics robot programmer, for the last 25 years at Contex (you might know us - we produce large format scanners).

So far, these scanners have been "Made in Denmark" - but as we speak, we are closing down the factory here in Denmark and transfering the whole thing to a factory in China

Why ?? In Denmark, a "blue collar" worker is paid around 22-25 USD/hour, but in China they are only paid circa 1.5 USD/hour - money talks !

And a Technician/Engineer is paid roughly 30+ USD/hour

I am a member of the board in Contex (a thing in Denmark called "Employe elected boardmember"), and we are well aware that quality might be at risk, but money-wise it seems to be a win-win situation.

So, that's why Large format scanners are "Made in China" later this year, and I would assume that the same counts for DJI

Anybody needs an electronics technician out there ? :)

Europe might be associated with quality - when living in the US - and it works the other way around too, when living in Europe, we often associate "Made in USA" with high quality

But why is so many things made in China ? Well, I'm just in the middle of it at the moment !! I've been working as an electronics technician / SMD electronics robot programmer, for the last 25 years at Contex (you might know us - we produce large format scanners).

So far, these scanners have been "Made in Denmark" - but as we speak, we are closing down the factory here in Denmark and transfering the whole thing to a factory in China

Why ?? In Denmark, a "blue collar" worker is paid around 22-25 USD/hour, but in China they are only paid circa 1.5 USD/hour - money talks !

And a Technician/Engineer is paid roughly 30+ USD/hour

I am a member of the board in Contex (a thing in Denmark called "Employe elected boardmember"), and we are well aware that quality might be at risk, but money-wise it seems to be a win-win situation.

So, that's why Large format scanners are "Made in China" later this year, and I would assume that the same counts for DJI

Anybody needs an electronics technician out there ? :)

Very sad and the big thing Trump is against is slave labor in China, I say stand up and say no! Make things in America again.

So you support slave labor?

If you arrive at that conclusion based on my posts, I am truly not surprised that you support Trump.o_O

Alas, this thread has moved in the realms of politics and it is never wise to debate politics on the interwebs.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at the growth DJI has had doubling its turnover in 1 year and yet it's a chinese designed chinese made product. What would Donald Trump say? "Time to make quality drones in America " I'd say, but over all hats off to China, this for me is the first time I've seen a quality product designed and made in China, a good sign for things to come for China in general, why? Because they listen to their customers and strive for perfection, no different to apple really (which is designed in America).

"Quality" you say ?
I'd say 'inventive' as far as lightbridge goes but couldn't agree with quality.
If they eliminate shell cracks then I'll agree with quality as a description.

Am I too harsh on them?

"Quality" you say ?

Am I too harsh on them?

Well the cracks are coming up thick and fast, so you could be right on the quality issue, I was talking more of their gimbal technology and so forth, I'm sure a plastic frame error can be adjusted at the factory, whether dji would actually spend the money improving it is another question.

"Quality" you say ?

Am I too harsh on them?
Well the cracks are coming up thick and fast, so you could be right on the quality issue
Cracking shells are a thing of the past.
More than 6 months ago there was a real (but small) problem but it's rare to hear a genuine report these days.
Just people who keep dredging up the topic like this.

Reactions: firefox13

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl