Dji link AVL 58

Reaction score
I have tested Dji:s own videolink AVL 58 now a couple of times and am frustrated cause the picture disappears every now and then for 3-4 seconds. It starts when I start the motors.
Because of this I don't dare to fly FPV. I have tested to change channels.

Any suggestions?

Are you using the AVL58 receiver as well - if not what are you receiving with?

The antennas supplied with the AVL58 are very short and need line of sight to each other to work best. If you have it mounted where parts of the airframe, gimbal or camera will ever get in between your transmitter and receiver antennas you will get broken reception. You could get an after market antenna to mount on the tx that brings it down lower and clears the gimbal...

TX RX is DJI.
I have had free line of sight. Isn't the clover antenna better than an ordinary shorter one?
Had a rubber antenna on another Hexa before and it worked really good.

It can only be "better" if it's not obstructed. By shorter I mean the actual antenna cable on the DJI stock ones are short. The AVL58 can only be mounted securely to the phantom by sticking it to the underside, and bending the stock antenna down barely drops it below the level of the tx on mine. I'm going to experiment with a third-party cloverleaf with a much longer cable next time out - that one ends up just above the bottom of the skids and should clear the gimbal more convincingly. Even the stubby whip antennas will come down lower than the DJI ones and therefore clear more of the big lump of gimbal. I get the feeling the AVL58 was first designed to be mounted onto a gimble-less Flamewheel series where you get a few more mounting options and can get the antenna out of the way of things more easily. Still with the FPV hub it was a plug and play solution for me on the P2 - and I get great reception except when the gimbal gets between my monitor and the the tx...

You're not suppose to bend the dji clover leaf. (Manual mentions this).if you Mount the Rx at a 45degree angle it works nicely.(manual also mentions this) I like trying what the manufacturer suggests first, see how that works, then having a base to start with, start making changes to set ups to see if it gets better or worse. :ugeek:

OK. I will first try to mount it lower and with the antenna straight. Otherwise I will buy a longer one.
Thanks! :)

I had the same issues so I bought the latest expensive immersonic fat shark cloverleaf RP-SMA antenna set and they are not as good as the stock DJI cloverleafs so be aware. In the end I used a right angle RP-SMA adapter (£2.15) and that put my stock antenna down below the gimbal. - Perfect!

Cr8tive_leo said:
You're not suppose to bend the dji clover leaf. (Manual mentions this).if you Mount the Rx at a 45degree angle it works nicely.(manual also mentions this) I like trying what the manufacturer suggests first, see how that works, then having a base to start with, start making changes to set ups to see if it gets better or worse. :ugeek:

Actually the manual says you shouldn't bend it more than 30 degrees. Also, there's no easy way to mount the tx on a P2 at 45 degrees with my setup - so the manufacturer setting was giving me break-up and interference at nose-in orientations just due to the fact there was no line-of-sight to my receiver because of the short coax on the DJI antenna. I have a spare 5.8 gold skew planar hanging around from a Horizon FPV Antennas Phantom 2 Vision kit which has a 90 degree connector and is perfect length - it sits about 1mm above the ground when fitted and gives much more clearance regarding the gimbal. I'll see how that fares.

I think I have solved my problem. It is the monitor.
Just spoke to some friends at Koterframes here in Sweden. They bought a Lilliput monitor (expensive one) and got the same problem.
The monitor "shuts off" every time it gets a weak signal. I have a Lilliput too.
Try goggels or another monitor or tv.

That makes sense. The stock AVL58 tx antenna is very short. If you mount it on a Phantom then it is very easy to block the antenna with the gimbal or indeed the aircraft body. Most monitors would just show the interference when this happens, but if the monitor shuts of display until the signal gets perfect again then that's going to happen a lot with the stock antenna setup when you change the aircraft orientation in the air and the antenna gets blocked.

I have the problem even when the antenna isn´t blocked. Must me a combination.
Sometimes (almost always) it is better to do a proper research before buying stuff... :?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20