DJI Launches Sub-Pixel Stabilization For GoPro

Reaction score
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/4/prweb10608643.htm

When the Zenmuse HERO is combined with DJI’s PHANTOM quadcopter, anyone can create cinematic aerial content at a fraction of the cost of existing systems.
Austin, TX (PRWEB) April 08, 2013

DJI, one of the world’s leading developers and manufacturers in UAV systems, today launched the revolutionary Zenmuse HERO, a gyro-stabilized gimbal built specifically for the GoPro HERO3. Optimized for installation on the popular PHANTOM consumer quadcopter, the Zenmuse HERO combines the versatility of the award wining GoPro with industry leading stability for truly cinematic aerials not previously possible within a consumer package.
The Zenmuse HERO was designed for consumers seeking a cost-effective means of producing high quality aerial cinematography, without the issues plaguing consumer systems. With the Zenmuse HERO’s advanced algorithms and instant-response direct drive motors the GoPro remains perfectly level and steady during nearly all flight conditions. This combination allows consumers to produce high quality HD video that rivals productions from systems costing nearly ten times more.
Features of Zenmuse HERO
First fully integrated gimbal for GoPro
Built in GoPro control module for power, video output and start/stop capability
Independent IMU for professional level stability during flight
Accurate to +/- 0.08 degrees
2 axis (pitch and roll)
Integrated iOS app for camera control
Features of DJI iOS App
Low latency video monitoring (downlink)
Full remote camera control
Wireless synchronization
Social Media sharing
First person viewing (FPV) functionality
“When the Zenmuse HERO is combined with DJI’s PHANTOM quadcopter, anyone can create cinematic aerial content at a fraction of the cost of existing systems,” stated Colin Guinn, CEO of DJI North America.
The Zenmuse HERO will be available for purchase at the end of Q2 2013 – incredibly compelling pricing to be released soon.

No picture or specs yet... but it's getting closer. I wonder how punitive the cost will be.

"This combination allows consumers to produce high quality HD video that rivals productions from systems costing nearly ten times more."

Is that a hint that it will cost 1/10th of what the current Zenmuse goes for? So we can expect this "junior" version to run in the $300-$400 range? Hmmm... just wild speculation on my part. I guess we will find out about the incredibly compelling pricing soon enough.

Sac D said:
No picture or specs yet... but it's getting closer. I wonder how punitive the cost will be.

"This combination allows consumers to produce high quality HD video that rivals productions from systems costing nearly ten times more."

Is that a hint that it will cost 1/10th of what the current Zenmuse goes for? So we can expect this "junior" version to run in the $300-$400 range? Hmmm... just wild speculation on my part. I guess we will find out about the incredibly compelling pricing soon enough.

The picture is right here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=327

Adam said:
Features of DJI iOS App
Low latency video monitoring (downlink)
Full remote camera control
Wireless synchronization
Social Media sharing
First person viewing (FPV) functionality

So is this phone/tablet app going to be talking to the gimbal via Bluetooth or WiFi? What other options could there be from an iOS device?

So he mentions that the iPhone app will communicate not via WiFi but some kind of RF? Didn't know there was any other radio on an iPhone besides WiFi, Bluetooth and cellular. Are they going to be making some kind of dongle?

Of course he was a marketing wank so may have no idea what he is saying.

Agreed, there has been some confusion on that.

Standard Phantom uses 2.4ghz frequency.

Wi-Fi uses 2.4ghz frequency.

DJI rep mentioned the Phantom Vision will use a slightly different communications protocol.

DJI rep mentioned GoPro Zenmuse Hero Gimbal will -possibly- have a video downlink, using a very fast (0.1 second) latency, which doesn't seem to be possible over Wi-Fi.

We may not know how this all plays out until the products actually make it to market.

I saw the new gimbal system at NAB. Colin the CEO was a pretty cool guy, brushless motors, fancy servos. My concern is the price tag. But you can get some crazy footage. We heard crazy price tags from $700 - $1000

Adam said:
Interesting interview on the thought process for why the gimbal is two axis instead of three:

http://vimeo.com/63738173

what did he mean when he tried to explain this point???

paraphrased - "for a one man operation, he said you want to pan with the chopper as opposed to the camera... "

i dont understand this? do you?

fxpro888 said:
Adam said:
Interesting interview on the thought process for why the gimbal is two axis instead of three:

paraphrased - "for a one man operation, he said you want to pan with the chopper as opposed to the camera... "

Yes, with two people involved, one pilots the craft while the other operates the camera. They can perform functions independently of each other to get the desired shots. With one person, doing both would be much more arduous.
It's similar to driving a car while a passenger is texting... it's easy, but if the driver is texting while driving things get more difficult.

...the NAB videos of the Zenmuse gimbal show the gopro hero cam without the housing. I hope you can mount the gopro with a housing too. A housing protects the cam in the event if a crash..

The way he was talking, he wanted a slim, click-in type of holder, for the cam. I doubt this was even considered, when it was designed. I feel like you too. I want as much protection as I can get, in case of a crash. This gimbal opening doesn't look big enough to hold the case in there, either.

It is explained in one of the videos that it will not support the use of a case. It actually plugs into the backpack port on the back of the Hero 3.

fxpro888 said:
Adam said:

I'm by no means an expert, but I think what they are saying is that you pan (yaw) with the Phantom rather than having a third axis on the gimbal itself to pan (yaw) the camera independently of the Phantom. I guess one of the draws to a third axis is to be able to fix on a target regardless of the position of the Phantom which would seem like a lot of work for one person to do while flying the craft. In one of the DJI trade show videos the DJI rep discussed that DJI is trying to keep the gimbal weight at or below 200 grams so using the Phantom to yaw (pan) negates the need for the third axis on the gimbal and the weight it would add. Anything heavier than 200g it seems would exceed the Phantom's takeoff weight limit of less than 1000 grams specified by DJI. I would definitely like to get one of these for my Phantom, but the price, if more than the Phantom itself, seems steep. Have to start saving my pennies. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20