Dji hot flights

Reaction score
Could I damage my drone flying it in 107 degree weather in Phoenix battery got hot so I stopped after a few min just wanted to get some input on temperature [emoji855] with my bird

I've never heard of any limit ... just the recommended Operating Temperature Range in the specs.
Limit/ recommendation - DJI put in the manual for a reason. Personally I would recommend "compliance".

EDIT: In the Appendix for the P3P flight manual under "Specifications" it list an operating range of 0C - 40C. I see nothing of these values of being a "recommendation."

Last edited:
Limit/ recommendation - DJI put in the manual for a reason. Personally I would recommend "compliance".

EDIT: In the Appendix for the P3P flight manual under "Specifications" it list an operating range of 0C - 40C. I see nothing of these values of being a "recommendation."
A limit is something that stops you.
As there is nothing to prevent you flying in 107 degrees.
But the specs state: Operating Temperature Range32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)

A limit is something that stops you.
As there is nothing to prevent you flying in 107 degrees.
But the specs state: Operating Temperature Range32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)

I fly my drone like I fly airplanes - "within specs."

Fly your drone at 107F. I'll land at 104F (40C) ;)

I made no comment on what anyone should do.
I was just saying that there is no limit.

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.

My opinion - those "specs" indicate an operating range. In my 40 years of aviation the numbers at the end of a range, especially when specified by a manufacturer indicate a limit. I've seen people exceed an operating range on both manned aircraft and drones - the end result wasn't always good. Again, if there wasn't a limit, DJI would not have put those numbers in the manual.

Gabriel asked for some input on the first post of this thread. He got mine. You're welcomed to disagree.

My participation here is over...

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.
I still haven't expressed an opinion.
You said DJI limits P3s to 104 degrees which suggests that DJI have something in the Phantom's programming to prevent it flying in temperatures above 104 degrees.
There is no such limit.

And I disagree. P3P Operator's manual, page 54 "appendix," "specifications," 14th highlighted line down. Now I'm done.
You're very disagreeable.
DJI limits your altitude to 500 metres but they do nothing to limit the temperature in which you fly.
Just the recommended Operating Temperature Range in the specs which I referred to in post #3.

Meta4

Your right, it's not a limit but a recommendation.

I'm a full sized pilot and if a manufacturer puts specifications on paper for their aircraft I listen to them. Especially when I'm sitting in the aircraft!

But you want to argue semantics go ahead. Let me know how your drone flies in Death Valley in August.

Or are you expecting DJI to put a temperature sensor in the drone too? Then you can complain that they didn't calibrate it correctly.

Honestly sometimes people post here just for the sake of posting, when is someone going to start complaining about spelling?

In spite of some good information here the BS and self righteousness is starting to get a bit too much to take, not you Meta4 specifically but in general it must be a pain in the ••S for the moderators. It is getting like a "Housewives of Drone Flyers" here.

How about instead of being so quick to correct another post we just give some helpful information? That's what I thought this place was for!

Last edited:
Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Your right Steve I'm should have double Checked before making a impulse, i appreciate all the advice and help and the extra personal views I'm glad I didn't fly the drone till the temp dropped so I'm thankful for everyone and keep doing what your doing I'm new trying to build and be apart of a "bigger picture" here on this chat and believe on helping others. Good or bad or whatever but thanks @Meta4 and @flyboyjfor the response :)

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
While I agree this thread turned a bit into a semantic debate, in all fairness @Meta4 never suggested to ignore the "Operating Temperatures" specified in the manual, but rather made the point that the P3S does not prevent you from flying outside that 0 to 40C range. Actually, elsewhere in the manual DJI is more explicit and suggests not flying with ambient temps below -10C (risk of damage to the battery) and above 50C (risk of fire / explosion). In other words, 0 to 40C (32 to 104F) is a recommended range, and the farther away you are from it, the higher the risk.

To answer the OP: you CAN fly at 107F (it's not that far from 104F) but it's not recommended. LiPos deteriorate at high temperatures, so the cooler the battery stays, the better. Are you chasing the shot of your life and it's 107F... go for it, but fly "easy" and maybe only for few minutes at a time. Do not make it a habit to fly when it's hot (even if it's 102F...) because that will eventually affect your battery life.

Or are you expecting DJI to put a temperature sensor in the drone too? Then you can complain that they didn't calibrate it correctly.
Actually, there's already a temperature sensor in the battery, and values are logged in the Flight Records. DJI already prevents you from charging the battery if it's too hot, and it would be super-easy for them to add some logic that would prevent the AC from taking off if temperatures are outside a given range. Many car/airplane/helicopter ESCs have a temperature sensor, and built-in logic so they reduce power if they are getting too hot.

Reactions: Meta4
I am traveling to Phoenix in the next few weeks and will be paying close attention to this. It sounds like sunrise would be the best time to fly, or just before sunset, depending on location. We won't be in Phoenix for more than two days before trekking up to the Grand Canyon, over to Holbrook and then down through Heber and Payson.

0-40C is a very common temperature specification used by industry for consumer products. Commercial products, military specifications, etc. have a much wider range for approval, such as -40C to +60C, which must be tested in a certified lab for type approval. 0-40C does not require testing to make that your specifications - again, very common for most consumer products. Look at your iPod or Android specs. I have flown my P3S in 40C air with no problems, but I do limit my flights to about 15 minutes to prevent overheating of the batteries or internals. Keep an eye on your battery drain. Your mileage may vary.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl