DJI Height Restriction zones

Reaction score
On the DJI No Fly Zones page at No FLY Zones | DJI I saw that there is a "height restriction zone" around "no fly zones" within 5 miles/8 km of a major airport. Has anyone flown inside these height restriction zones? Is the height really limited? I am still using firmware 1.1.9 but with the latest app, and I haven't experienced any height limit in these zones.

Moreover, these height restriction zones were introduced way back in April, even before firmware 1.1.9.

Last edited:
Best not to be flying in those no fly zones at all. That's whayntheyncall the No FLy Zones.

Yes, but it is a dynamic height limit. Within the 8Km zone there is a zone, I believe 1.5Km that you cannot fly or arm at all, after that up to the 8Km it will allow fly with a dynamic changing ceiling. Something like 10m alt @1.5Km up to 30-40M alt to the end of the zone. Numbers may be different because where I fly we have only one red zone and that is what I noticed.

Yes, I know that. But I am able to fly 500 meters high in the height restriction zone. It's at the end, but still clearly in it. So did they really implement this.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that. But I am able to fly 500 meters high in the height restriction zone. It's at the end, but still clearly in it. So did they really implement this.
Even outside of the No Fly Zone I have seen passenger airplanes flying what seems to be below the 500 meters. Why do you want to push the limits?? You want to get on the News? I think we need to stay out of the 5 mile limit period.

From my experience these restrictions are not actually in place.

Yes they do implement them. I live in one unfortunately. To be more precise I live in the outer ring of a no fly zone, within about 50m of the actual no fly zone. If I try to fly from my garden it limits me to about 30m. But it's worse than that, it also actively pushes my Phantom 3 away from the no fly zone! It's actually really dangerous and makes it very difficult to fly safely. Do not try this.

There's a park near me that's on the edge of the outer zone. I've also flown from there too and got up to virtually 400ft without any issue. The only thing was the warning and the lights on the Phantom 3 flashing red.

In summary I wouldn't really recommend flying in the outer ring no fly zone, but if you have to stay to the very edges of it!

As it happens the no fly zone I'm affected by is a long closed airport so it's invalid, and infuriates me!

I have got the VP of DJI Europe supposedly looking to correct it for me so I might have some positive news on that soon.

Reactions: BigAl07
How odd. I am in Europe and just flew inside a height restriction zone (NOT a no fly zone). Could go all the way up to maximum altitude. FW 1.1.9 though, but don't think that's the reason.

On the same subject, how easy is it to request DJI to remove a NFZ?

I ask because there is a former RAF base near me which has no flying at all, but it's still listed on DJI as an active airport.

Reactions: libertyflyer
On the same subject, how easy is it to request DJI to remove a NFZ?

I ask because there is a former RAF base near me which has no flying at all, but it's still listed on DJI as an active airport.

As I said I'm in the process of getting one removed, so I'll report back. But in summary, not very easy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20