DJI HDMI Module vs Tablet with HDMI

Reaction score
Is there a quality difference between the HDMI outputs? There's a cheap tablet at Walmart for $80 with HDMI output on it. Figured I'd save $10-15, but also get use of the tablet too.

Also: Obviously if the USB came undone the FPV view would be lost to the HDMI output on the tablet, but what happens with the DJI controller since there's a separate connection on it for the HDMI and USB? Would you lose video connectivity then?

If running Litchi and you've programmed in Waypoints would it come home or continue the programmed mission if the controller's connection were lost?

Try your luck, I doubt if the cheap tablet can process USB stream and also generate HDMI output simultaneously with 720P.

USB and HDMI ports on RC are two independent ports and both work simultaneously. Telemetry is different on these outputs.

Once mission is loaded on AC, it doesn't depend on RC connection. RC connection is needed just to display the position of aircraft or the cam view.

I think it's down to $49.98 now. Is this the one you're looking at OP? Ematic 8" Tablet 8GB Dual Core Core - Walmart.com

9a5b4276-fdc5-4d0c-bb5c-9649c4dd4e05_1.830edd36c25f95dea53876ab9682945e.jpeg

Ematic Pro with WiFi 8" Touchscreen Tablet PC:

Technical Specifications:

• 1.6GHz ARMv7 dual-core processor
  • 1GB DDR2 of system memory
  • 8" touchscreen, 1024 x 768 resolution
  • Built-in 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi
Additional Features:
  • Back 1.9MP webcam and front 0.3MP webcam
  • USB 2.0 port, MiniHDMI port, headphone jack
  • 8GB on-board storage memory, additional memory via microSD card slot<
  • Gyroscope
  • Up to 10hours of run time on a full charge
  • Weighs 1.05 lbs; 7.91" x 6.06" x 0.40" dimensions
Software and Applications:
  • Android 4.1 OS (Jelly Bean)
  • Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Chrome, Clock, Downloads, Email, Evernote, Explorer, Gmail, Google, Google , Kingsoft Office, Local, Maps, Messenger, People
  • Play Books, Play Magazines, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Play Store, Pogoplug, Settings, Sound Recorder, Talk, Video
What's in the Box:
  • Tablet and AC adapter

Doesn't look too bad, especially for the price.

Here's the specs on my Shield K1, for comparison (and $150 more o_O):

• PROCESSOR: NVIDIA® Tegra® K1 192 core Kepler GPU 2.2 GHz ARM Cortex A15 CPU with 2 GB RAM
  • DISPLAY: 8-inch 1920x1200 multi-touch, Full-HD displayVIDEO FEATURES4K Ultra-HD Ready
  • AUDIO: Front facing stereo speakers with built-in microphone
  • STORAGE: *16 GB *Portion of storage occupied by system software.
  • WIRELESS: 802.11n 2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS / GLONASS
  • INTERFACES: Mini-HDMI with HDCP 1.4 output, Micro-USB 2.0, MicroSD slot
  • 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack with microphone support
  • MOTION SENSORS: 3-axis gyro, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis compass

Last edited:
I also ordered the MyBud glasses per his comments/review since Fat Sharks seem too expensive ($155 less for MyBuds on Amazon).
Good luck with those. I hated them. They felt very awkward on my face (like you had to look down to see the screen) and had a big module you have to clip to your belt.
The image quality was very bad (low pixels) and was 4:3 vs 16:9

If you want, you can read my comments on the Amazon page, link below. My comments are under Bishop.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R31RD...nce&nodeID=667846011&store=aht#wasThisHelpful

Here's one my biggest gripes about the MyBuds:
The image is quite small. Compared to the 8" Nvidia Shield held about a foot away from my face, that image is way bigger than what these glasses show. It's advertised as though you're watching a 100" screen. I'm in my theater room sitting in front of a 150" screen right now that's 10 feet away. It's literally 12 feet wide and looks big. These glasses look more like I'm viewing a 20" monitor from a foot away. Remember those old square flat screens from 10 years ago? It looks like that. If you want to stretch your imagination, you can say it looks like you're standing at the back of a movie theater and that little white screen is in front of you.
Maybe a little 4:3 screen is great for FPV racing, but this wasn't working for my usage.

Last edited:
47% like them (A/B), 39% don't (D/F). Thanks for the concern and I will definitely follow the return policy. So Rad, what did you go with and/or like?

Sounds like an interesting project. Confirmed with Seller I've got 14 days on return. I will make it an easy decision. Real P in the A you can't find anywhere to try these out here in Tampa.

Visoon HD900 tablet with HDMI input and output and AV input, can work well for DJI Go
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is there a quality difference between the HDMI outputs? There's a cheap tablet at Walmart for $80 with HDMI output on it. Figured I'd save $10-15, but also get use of the tablet too.

Also: Obviously if the USB came undone the FPV view would be lost to the HDMI output on the tablet, but what happens with the DJI controller since there's a separate connection on it for the HDMI and USB? Would you lose video connectivity then?

If running Litchi and you've programmed in Waypoints would it come home or continue the programmed mission if the controller's connection were lost?

If you plan to use an IOS device (aka iPhone 6 etc.) simply purchase a Lightning Digital AV Adapter (acts as an HDMI - 1080p output AND a lightning connector for the USB cable that connects the DJI remote) for $49 from an apple store and you are ALL SET. Connect the adapter to the iPhone (or iPad) and connect the Phantom RC via Lighting-to-USB to the lightning connector on the adapter. Then use a regular HDMI cable to connect your HDMI headset. Great video quality - no extra power drain from the remote.

Lightning Digital AV Adapter

Apple device for the win. I bought a "cheap" tablet, and I don't think I'm going to use it unless it's pretty much an emergency. It's usable, don't get me wrong, but it's no where near the performance of an iphone 6. The video feed registers on the iconia a1-840fhd, but it lags a little bit. HDMI has a consistent video feed, and it's even better than an iphone 6 alone. Just to let you know, a cheap alternative is using litchi's new feature called litchi vue. Apparently it works, but when I tested it on an "older" ipad, it was way too choppy for me.

Visoon HD900 tablet with HDMI input and output and AV input, can work well for DJI Go
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Where were you when I was looking for one of these :) ? Can you please list the msrp of one of your units?

If you plan to use an IOS device (aka iPhone 6 etc.) simply purchase a Lightning Digital AV Adapter (acts as an HDMI - 1080p output AND a lightning connector for the USB cable that connects the DJI remote) for $49 from an apple store and you are ALL SET. Connect the adapter to the iPhone (or iPad) and connect the Phantom RC via Lighting-to-USB to the lightning connector on the adapter. Then use a regular HDMI cable to connect your HDMI headset. Great video quality - no extra power drain from the remote.

Lightning Digital AV Adapter

Have you tried it ever this concept?

For your information lightening port on AV- adapter is for charging the device and not an USB port.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic