DJI has Updated P3P and P3A with New Type Motors and MCB

@cyberthingy

Does your box picture show the older motors or the new motors?
Unfortunately I did not get a box because I bought a combo with the DJI hard shell backpack. The dealer (DroneNerds) transferred the contents of the box into the backpack prior to shipping. Probably to save cost on shipping since there was a discount on the bundle.

Thanks i'll wait to hear from you.
looks like the box shows the new motors but it's hard to tell...
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2643.JPG

Nope, those ARE clearly the newer motors!!. Thanks a lot...

With that im back at square one. Cuz one guy on the DJI forum said that his box shows older motors yet the phantom has new ones. I dont trust him anymore, :)

I wish the production date could be figured out somehow from the box but it doesn't seem that anyone know how to. I even asked DJI online sales, but they didn't quite give me an answer.

I wish the production date could be figured out somehow from the box but it doesn't seem that anyone know how to. I even asked DJI online sales, but they didn't quite give me an answer.
Sounds like you should just order from DJI if you're set on the new motors... Or take your chances with Amazon if you want to save a few bucks. You could always return the Amazon one if its not right.

Or stop worrying about it altogether.
You won't be able to tell any performance difference and if you are worried about cracking, that wasn't due to any problem with the motors.

Or stop worrying about it altogether.
You won't be able to tell any performance difference and if you are worried about cracking, that wasn't due to any problem with the motors.
Or so they say....I haven't personally seen or heard of any P3s with new motors and stress cracks. Probably will happen any day now but so far nothing...

The old motors most likely definitely had some part in causing the cracks.
First simply because of how it mounted to the shell.

Second that motor ran too hot from reports. That inturn also heated the shell at the mount point.

At this point I don't have the option of buying from DJI directly. If I did I would definitely do that.
For sure resellers can't keep receiving the older models from DJI for much longer can they ?

Last edited:
The old motors most likely definitely had some part in causing the cracks.
First simply because of how it mounted to the shell.

Second that motor ran too hot from reports. That in turn also heated the shell at the mount point.
It's only forum conjecture that it had anything to do with the motors and there's no evidence to prove it was.
There are loads of flyers with old P3s that have no cracks at all.
A much simpler and more likely explanation for the cracking is that there were some early faulty shells due a bad batch of plastic or moulding practices.

@ Cerone

Do you see the words like "W322A" on one of the stickers on the side of the box? It's usually the sticker next to the bar code one.

Checked my P3P box and it shows the old motors, when and if I go to exchange my P3P I will look for the box that shows the newer motors so I know the bird inside is the new motor one but so far my P3P is fine.

Reactions: lotusteve
It's only forum conjecture that it had anything to do with the motors and there's no evidence to prove it was.
There are loads of flyers with old P3s that have no cracks at all.
A much simpler and more likely explanation for the cracking is that there were some early faulty shells due a bad batch of plastic or moulding practices.

Sure but forums are the only place where we are likely to see reports for cracking shells and then the community has to deduce what could be the reasons? So far we know DJI has changed shell design and updated motors. I doubt DJI will sent out a report saying that older shells are cracking and that motors are to blame. Its not like car manufacturers that DJI will issue a recall. Which a big reputable manufacture should!

Such crap that even at this time, mid october if you purchase a p3 Pro, people are mostly receiving the older model with the old motors....
Whereas the P3 adv seems to be almost all with new motors now. I sent in my p3adv for exchange for a pro and when i found out that his stock is all older p3 pros, i asked the seller to hold of on my shipment till he hopefully have a new model in this next shipment due in about 10 days...

This really sucks....I dont believe people saying theres no difference between the older and newer motors.. cracking, heating issues are all over the forums!
The shells come cracked from the factory. Right on the nubs the motors mount to and the nubs where the two halves screw together.I doubt heat has anything to do with the cracking.If it does its because of the cracks that are already there from the get go.

Kind of a.strong statement that the shells are coming cracked from the factory. But if they are then people should be returning or exchanging then right away.

On another note, so no one has figured yet out how to find out the production date from the date code on the side of the box or through some other method ?

Plastic moulding is a bit of a "black art". The moulds DJI use are bound to be multi cavity for volume production. It could have been just 1 of the cavities causing the problem.
Also many other factors influence quality. Even if a mould is perfect a bad batch of raw plastic could be to blame. Too high a humidity - wrong temperature on one of the injectors. Also the quality of the component is strongly influenced by the cooling cycle in the mould. For example a 55 second cooling cycle maybe the optimal but sometimes when schedules are tight they will drop the cooling time by a few seconds to get more shells out in a day.
All these factors could well be to blame rather than just "wrong motors"!!!

Hey guys,
New guy here,
I stopped by Drones Plus here in Albuquerque to buy a P3A,
All of their Advanced stock had the old motors with the pic on
the box of the old motor.
However their Standard and Pro were the new motors with
the pic on the box of the new motor.
These guys were completely unaware of the whole upgrade thing
till I pointed it out...Interesting,
I think they just were selling old stock.
I was bummed because I did not purchase.
The guy said he'd look into it and get me an upgraded P3A.

Reactions: D4T_PoM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic