DJI has Updated P3P and P3A with New Type Motors and MCB

Such crap that even at this time, mid october if you purchase a p3 Pro, people are mostly receiving the older model with the old motors....
Whereas the P3 adv seems to be almost all with new motors now. I sent in my p3adv for exchange for a pro and when i found out that his stock is all older p3 pros, i asked the seller to hold of on my shipment till he hopefully have a new model in this next shipment due in about 10 days...

This really sucks....I dont believe people saying theres no difference between the older and newer motors.. cracking, heating issues are all over the forums!

Working in the IT industry myself, what DJI are saying about the motors (i.e. production timescales etc) is not telling the whole story. Looking at the changes to the motors, the bottom, venting and the now flat base I would assume it will increase heat disappation and being a bigger surface area on the bottom means weight/torque can be spread over a larger surface area.

No manufacturer in the right mind would 'admit' a fault on an old design (i.e. motor) because this would open the floodgates to litigation from customers who have been short changed.

I'm holding off my P3P in the UK until my dealer has the new motor designs in stock.

here are a couple of healthy drones screen shots showing the difference in new motors v old motors using the same battery. Both P3A were less than a week old as well. The one with less flight time is the old motors. There was also about a 10mph stronger wind with the newer motors

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.22.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.22.44 PM.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.21.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.21.55 PM.png
    114 KB · Views: 402
I bought my P3A in mid Sept and it appears I have the old motors. If I send it to DJI will they put the new motors and board on for free since it is a known issue?

The new motors definitely look to be all about less of an heat issue. I do not feel like they are less powerful. But I could see where they would reduce the overall output on them just to be less heat prone. That can be accomplished by reducing the rpm's. So in theory, if a pilot was to switch to A-mode and and fly full throttle which would be the heat issues worse case scenario, the new setup could better handle it per the heat issue.

The last firmware update had something in it that was directed towards the ECU's. I have no idea what it was, but speculation would say it was something with adjusting the firmware settings to co-exist between each old & new motor configuration.

The flight log's have always had a rpm category. And, that data column always has had the same number display of 7681. It shows the 7681 reading from the 1st line to the last last going unchanged. So basically that info is useless. I'm not sure why it couldn't display live data. Btw, now that I think of it, the data would need to be shown per each motor. That may explain why they didn't go into it with much detail. It would likely be confusing to most that tried using live rpm's for any kind of benefit. Way too many variables exist when it comes to the unmatched propulsion.

I bought my P3A in mid Sept and it appears I have the old motors. If I send it to DJI will they put the new motors and board on for free since it is a known issue?
If you got it from amazon and its within 30 days you could return it. otherwise i highly doubt it and honestly if you have a perfectly good working machine. don't risk sending it in for one that may be plagued.

If you got it from amazon and its within 30 days you could return it. otherwise i highly doubt it and honestly if you have a perfectly good working machine. don't risk sending it in for one that may be plagued.
I purchased it from a DJI dealer. You may be right, don't fix it if it's not broken.

well my problem is that i've already sent my P3A for an upgrade to a P3P. The sellar has about 40 P3Ps that he received from DJI in the last 2 weeks and they are ALL older models. He said he has anoter batch coming in in 10 days. so will see if there are new ones in there...
im jsut wondering, if the new P3P with new motors were put in production in August, how much of old stock could be out there? I mean are we talking 100s of thousands of millions of unit. How many does DJI produce? I mean they dont sell like cars do they?

I noticed that if you share the DJI link that they will give you like $50 if someone clicks on the link and buys a professional. advanced there is no benefit. There's probably a lot of old stock for the professional

I ordered my P3A from DroneNerds on eBay last week and I discovered after receiving it today that it has the new design motors. I was actually afraid that I might be getting older stock because the price was about 150 dollars less on their ebay listing than for the same bundle on their web site. I'm thankful I lucked out. Haven't flown yet but looking forward to it.
P3A Motor1.JPG

**** it! I just bought a p3a and now this is coming out? I do notice these motors heat up.

I wonder if I should return it and get the newer one but it feels ethically wrong. I've flown this about 7 times already. What do you guys think?

Are u sure those are the new ones ?
I ordered my P3A from DroneNerds on eBay last week and I discovered after receiving it today that it has the new design motors. I was actually afraid that I might be getting older stock because the price was about 150 dollars less on their ebay listing than for the same bundle on their web site. I'm thankful I lucked out. Haven't flown yet but looking forward to it.View attachment 33582
are

If by looking at the top of the motors they resemble the wheels on a ruf ctr yellow bird (Google it) then the motors are the new ones. If not, they are the old ones. If you received a wrench for prop removal, you have the old ones. If you received a plastic C clamp for the same purpose, you've got the new motors.

Mine came with a plastic C clamp, but my seller told me the new motors don't come out until a few weeks

Plastic clamp is a sign of new motors. I also asked a few sellers on Amazon and they think the new motor p3s are not shipping yet. That is false. I bought my p3 advanced over a month ago on Amazon and it was the new one. Only the p3 pro seems be still the old stock going around or something

it just all depends on who you by from. Ive had a P3S and 2 P3As(1 new motors and 1 not). My advice to the people who just received a unit with old motors.

If it works perfectly fine and were happy with it before you found this out. Keep them. It is not worth the hassle and risk to exchange them. You more than likely at least have the new shell which will be plenty to keep your phantom from cracking.

Make sure you never over tighten the motor screws. And look into a good quality snap on prop guard($20). They will help prevent the cracks. I know this for a fact. Just be careful when screwing it in that you dont pinch any wires and not to over tighten. Also keep the original screws in a place that you wont loose them because you will need them if you ever uninstall the prop guards.

Any idea how the date code barcode on the phantom box could be decoded? I scanned with a bar code scanner and it simply returns the CHxxxxxxxx number...no hint on production date.

Ordered direct from DJI back in early september and mine came with new motors.

it just all depends on who you by from. Ive had a P3S and 2 P3As(1 new motors and 1 not). My advice to the people who just received a unit with old motors.

If it works perfectly fine and were happy with it before you found this out. Keep them. It is not worth the hassle and risk to exchange them. You more than likely at least have the new shell which will be plenty to keep your phantom from cracking.

Make sure you never over tighten the motor screws. And look into a good quality snap on prop guard($20). They will help prevent the cracks. I know this for a fact. Just be careful when screwing it in that you dont pinch any wires and not to over tighten. Also keep the original screws in a place that you wont loose them because you will need them if you ever uninstall the prop guards.
Prop guards is horrible advice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

My last P3A cracked underneath one of the motors the very first flight after I took them off. Yes there is some risk involved when installing them but that is for everyone else to decide if they want to take that risk or not. But you can't argue the fact that they do help prevent cracks once installed correctly.

And that was my second crack on the Phantom. The first one came in the first 2 flights before I installed the phantom. After I installed them the crack did not get any worse. That P3A was old motors with a old shell

Such crap that even at this time, mid october if you purchase a p3 Pro, people are mostly receiving the older model with the old motors....
Whereas the P3 adv seems to be almost all with new motors now. I sent in my p3adv for exchange for a pro and when i found out that his stock is all older p3 pros, i asked the seller to hold of on my shipment till he hopefully have a new model in this next shipment due in about 10 days...

This really sucks....I dont believe people saying theres no difference between the older and newer motors.. cracking, heating issues are all over the forums!

I just got my P3P and yep, it has the older motors. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around, if anything? Pros = new, Adv. = old...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj