DJI GS Pro flying in reverse

Reaction score
We are trying to use DJI GS Pro to set up Flight Missions so that we can run 3DMaps around our site. Currently we are using Pix4D, but would like to have Missions set up that we can reuse.

We ran our first test run and it appears that the drone is flying forward then reverse instead of the drone turning and always facing forward.

Is there any way to change this or is this deliberate for a reason?

I noticed that too when using GS Pro too, but I fly to high to see if its flying backwards. Might pay to just go somewhere flat and do a test at low altitude?

I fly waypoint missions almost every day for work, will take the binoculars with me today and see if it fly's backwards during a job.

was there an outcome for this one? I would be interested to find out how it worked out.

went to go test after updating the app to 1.2.0 and the app crashed on me as soon as the drone turned to start taking pics.

updating the ios now to see if that makes a difference and will let you know

ok. ios update seem to fix the app crashing.
tested and the drone does not turn when running a 3d map mission.

Thanks for that, was literally just going to walk out the door and try it... the inly issue I can see with this is the gimbal movement when flying backwards. Im assuming the range of motion is more limited than forward flying. Mind you i havent had an issue yet and I just completed a very large survey with great results.

Thanks for that, was literally just going to walk out the door and try it... the inly issue I can see with this is the gimbal movement when flying backwards. Im assuming the range of motion is more limited than forward flying. Mind you i havent had an issue yet and I just completed a very large survey with great results.
we went ahead and flew the mission and loaded the pics into Pix4D to see how they compare with Pix4d capture.

That's just the way DJI has programmed that app to work. There shouldn't be any issues with the backwards flying versus forwards.

we are using Pix4D, but would like to have Missions set up that we can reuse
There's a way to save and reuse missions in Pix4DCapture, if you haven't come across it yet. It took me a while to find it, but you have to go the project list and then long press the project that you want to duplicate. A menu bar should pop up at the top that gives the duplicate option.

I used the GS Pro app extensively up in the Arctic a couple of weeks ago for surveying and really liked it.
However, the one thing I don't like about it is this flying behaviour where it keeps a constant orientation. The result when using a Phantom 3 or non-pro Phantom 4 camera is that the rolling shutter distortion will not be consistent. Images will be effectively stretched in one camera direction and compressed in the other direction. If you have the camera always facing forward then SfM software like Pix4d and Agisoft can model and largely correct for this distortion but this is not possible if the camera orientation is not constant with respect to the flying direction.

DJI - please include an option in this app to keep the camera orientation constant for 3D mapping missions!

Reactions: axelz and jvmoore1
Does anyone know when DJI will enable mapping app on the p4p+ controller?
There are a lot of unhappy P4P+ users that would like to know the same thing... but there isn't an answer, yet. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and add a 2nd (non-P4P+) controller and run third party apps through your phone or tablet.

Hahaha, was meant to do this yesterday but forgot... I need to do it at like 10m....

Will report back soon!
I checked out in simulator mode with latest DJI Groundstation (via DJI Assistant and USB cable) and it did indeed go backwards after initial line for every other leg when doing grid pattern, so orientation of drone didn't change, which was surprising, but guess less time needed for turns. Couldn't see a way to change this behaviour.

Reactions: jvmoore1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik