DJI Ground Station

I'm trying to figure out how it communicates with the Phantom since there is a link to a Bluetooth Link. Does the Phantom 2 Vision have this built in or will we need to install it in our P2V when it is released?

I'm uncertain how it would with the camera on the 2.4GHz, I see a 4pin header labelled CAN on the main board but it would be an awful tight squeeze to get the datalink module inside. I'm thinking maybe the Ground Station expandibility has been intended for the Phantom2 all along & not the Vision due to the freq. also why do I remember DJI saying something about turning off Bluetooth before connecting trying to connect to the repeater? Maybe that was just me, anyway. The only possibility for datalink connectivity would be via the camera's circuitry then to the phantom, otherwise we would have to purchase some sort of datalink/BTU combo.. Maybe a special 5.8GHz datalink?

Wormwood said:
I'm uncertain how it would with the camera on the 2.4GHz, I see a 4pin header labelled CAN on the main board but it would be an awful tight squeeze to get the datalink module inside. I'm thinking maybe the Ground Station expandibility has been intended for the Phantom2 all along & not the Vision due to the freq. also why do I remember DJI saying something about turning off Bluetooth before connecting trying to connect to the repeater? Maybe that was just me, anyway. The only possibility for datalink connectivity would be via the camera's circuitry then to the phantom, otherwise we would have to purchase some sort of datalink/BTU combo.. Maybe a special 5.8GHz datalink?

I hope the ground station does work with the PV! Can you explain a little more about why the freq matters between the PV and Pantom 2 when it comes to the ground station control?

the app you are looking at is not for the P2V. there will probably be a new app. it was announced they are working on it.

Migmon,
I hope your right, I see a lot of potential in the phantom (header connectors, various versions of the phantoms) . It shows the diversity it has. It's just the datalink as it's sold now is 2.4GHz & the P2V has FPV on that band, so I can't see both features functions at the same time. As chatty as wi-fi is & the datalink trying to achieve a high speed serial connection, both of them being 2way links same sources & destinations, anyway, maybe someone who knows more about the physics of RF could drop a post with an explaination of possibilities.

I saw the news release referencing the GS capability but nothing since & shortly afterwards they released the P2 which it clearly states will have GS waypoint functionality soon, but no such feature or reference to a similar feature is listed under the features tab for the P2V. All I'm saying is that other than a small vague news release we haven't heard a peep more, yet they've released 2 new phantom models & made a lot of updates to everything else. Feeling like a red headed Chinese girl again..... :eek:

Wormwood

I've been studying the ground station graphic that DJI put out with the press release. It looks like a simplified ground station (GS lite) and there are some clues in there as to the communications. The circle that bounds all the waypoints is around 240 meters in radius from the start point. That looks like WiFi range to me...DJI says 300 meters on WiFi, but I've never pushed mine much beyond 800ft. without losing the signal. I'm guessing the FPV camera communications back to the iphone/ipad is shut down when in ground station mode and the telemetry and control communication occupy that bandwidth.

http://www.dji.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... n_news.jpg

I was really hoping for an upload system with onboard storage and execution, so it could operate out of command and control range, but I'll take what I can get.

By the way - Ground Station doesn't seem to get much love in the vision forum. Its good to see someone else stoked about this.

the release notes for the last firmware contain the unofficial announcement and that was just a week ago so i assume it will be out in the first quarter of 14 or summer time at the latest.

I get the feeling the Bluetooth data link module is not going to be necessary for the PV because you have the camera receiving instructions from the phone which can make the phantom move. At this stage the only instructions the phone can make the phantom do is Yaw L/R but I'm guessing with a firmware unlock this could be changed to tell the drone to fly to a position. Well I'm hoping that will be the case anyway...

Okay I had been looking at the phantom 2 page on DJI's website & noticed that the IOSD Expansion module is no bigger than the compass that clamps to the landing gear. As well that where it's mount to the other landing gear. So at least that give some hope as to the possibilities. Makes you wonder how big or small any of these modules have to be.

One thing I can't get past is the flight times of these phantoms!?! I can't find anything that get constantly close, not without stripping features & stuff. Has anyone got or know of any multirotor or heli that can give all the function & flight time as a phantom? What's the next best product?

Wormwood

Wormwood said:
Okay I had been looking at the phantom 2 page on DJI's website & noticed that the IOSD Expansion module is no bigger than the compass that clamps to the landing gear.

What you're looking at is the plug the iOSD mini connects to, not the unit itself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik