DJI Goggles with P3P/A ?

Reaction score
DJI is now selling their goggles. From first glance, they are primarily integrated with the Mavic PRO (full capabilities) and via USB with all P4 models. P3P is only supported using the HDMI upgrade which is fine with me. However, has anyone tried head tracking using the HDMI for video and the USB at the same time?
Does it work?

I'm also wondering about the resolution of these goggles?

I watched a 20-min. review of them by some German kid on YouTube who was flying a Mavic PRO --- and he said you can switch the live video FPV in the goggles between either 720p @ 60 fps or 1080p @ 30 fps. He said the 1080p live video was stunning, and this is one feature I would love to have on any drone, since flying with 720p does have it's disadvantages --- mainly not being able to see fine detail such as power lines! I've had a few close calls with power lines and it was because I couldnt see them on my iPad Mini 3 even at 720p resolution.

However, it seems that if you do fly the goggles in 1080p mode then you can only record on the micro-SD card at max res of 1080, not 4K? Is this correct? This is a bummer if it's true, since I want the best of both worlds --- FPV at 1080p and recording onto the micro-SD at 4K.

Hdmi follows a uni directional protocol. It means it works only one way. If you are using it for receiving signals, you can't use it for sending signals back on the same hdmi port. In short, hdmi port can't be used for head tracking.

Another point, even if dji goggles can be used for 1080p resolution videos, until your aircraft is transmitting 1080p, you won't be able to take advantage of higher resolutions.

I'm also wondering about the resolution of these goggles?

I watched a 20-min. review of them by some German kid on YouTube who was flying a Mavic PRO

I think that describing (I would guess) 'Tom's Tech Time' as 'some German kid' is being rather impolitely dismissive. For sure, he probably makes some money from the videos that he posts - but I think he also puts a lot of effort into what he does. Although I have no financial, family, company, nor other connection to 'that German kid', I feel that you should show more respect for someone who communicates well in a non-native language and contributes greatly (IMHO) to the information that is available on the internet about drones. I, personally, have found a lot of what he has posted very useful.

Btw, do you speak German fluently? (I don't) :) ... and I guess that you probably don't either... :):)

Hdmi follows a uni directional protocol. It means it works only one way. If you are using it for receiving signals, you can't use it for sending signals back on the same hdmi port. In short, hdmi port can't be used for head tracking.

Another point, even if dji goggles can be used for 1080p resolution videos, until your aircraft is transmitting 1080p, you won't be able to take advantage of higher resolutions.

I understand the HDMI issue. I was wondering if both, HDMI for video to the goggles and a USB connection (for head tracking) would make these goggles work with the P3 family. I guess someone with a set of DJI goggles would have to try it out. I doubt that DJI would give any useful answers to that question. They don't care about the P3 family anymore at all.

Yes let's all be sure to be politically correct and if you see someone not being PC then be sure to call them out.
Someone referred to someone as "That German kid" is that disrespectful? Hmm I say no.
Let's turn it around and say, has anyone seen the video from that American kid? Does that sound disrespectful to anyone? Not me.
Let's all chill on the PC BS.

Yes let's all be sure to be politically correct and if you see someone not being PC then be sure to call them out.
Someone referred to someone as "That German kid" is that disrespectful? Hmm I say no.
Let's turn it around and say, has anyone seen the video from that American kid? Does that sound disrespectful to anyone? Not me.
Let's all chill on the PC BS.
Hardly PC BS... more about writing with respect for others and what they do.

OK - it's up to you, but if I had spent a load of time producing some pretty professional and informative videos then I, personally, would be slightly p'd off to be dismissively referred to as merely 'some German kid'.

You wouldn't, OK - we'll agree to differ.

And what has your comment got to do with the actual question that was posted ?, after all this is a help forum (help : to offer assistance)

Nothing that's what so how about you take your PC BS and find a forum that wants it instead of coming here and making yourself out to be something special.

And yes I have a YouTube channel and if someone referred to me as that English bloke with the bad voice I wouldn't be offended.

Reactions: beakeru2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav