DJI Goggles over rated.

Reaction score
I am going to return my goggles as I feel the hype really made them out to be something from guys who get freebies and probably in their interest to speak highly of a product.
Here's my rant:
The video quality is choppy at night and I had aircraft disconnected issue from a distance of about 100ft although ok during daylight.
The grey cloth that cushions the head is that delicate it tears easily.
The fitting to the head is ok but the face fitting allows light in underneath.
I don't feel fully in control of the craft as most of the features are missing in the fpv window.
The 6hrs claimed use is more like 3 hrs (for me).
The touch pad is very confusing and I fear requesting it to land accidently when my finger is on the touch pad.
This is my 1st experience to fpv so didn't know what to expect and probably had high expectations which were quickly dampened down.
The other thing I don't like is feeling like a total idiot with huge goggles over my head with a weight which could give me a neck injury.
Overall my opinion is they have not mastered fpv properly yet.

I think they are too big as well. I dont own them but I own a cheap fpv goggle i use called the Eachine Goggle2. I wanted fatshark style, but those style goggles do not yet exist in hdmi with 5.8 diversity capability. Fatsharks are not HD. But the eachine and the headplays are, but they are the boxy style. I like the Eachines, they were under $140 and have hdmi input and hdmi screen (fatsharks only have hdmi input and sd screen). The goggle 2s very simple and basic. I can use them wirelessly on my 5.8 quads or wired hdmi to my Nvidia Shield for use on the P4. I am on the fence about the Dji goggles. They look so dang big. I understand why the face part is big. But that headband!
af213e5ad173e7f4c947cdb9638b535f.jpg

I had read and watched every video on these from all the popular reviewers but seriously felt cheated from reality.
I will never trust youtube reviewers for unbiased reviews.
I'll stick to watching on my Ipad 4 mini as I feel safer and more in control.

With a P4P the experience is sub optimal, to be sure. But I'll be buying the HDMI adaptor's and such so that I can have both the Tablet and the Goggles at the same time - though that does not give anywhere close to the full functionality.

You can easily lock the controls with a 2 finger swipe.

With the Mavic Pro, the experience is great. Had a few flights yesterday that were spectacular. Head tracking mode is fantastic.

I've charged the goggles once (Tuesday) and haven't charged them since. Flown with the P4P and the MP. I think they're still at half charge. Between playing with them for setup and learning the menus and so on I'm sure they've got at least 2 hours on them - probably more.

No "build" issues. No issues with the cloth or pads.

I'm not sure if I'm really getting 1080 out of them with the MP - I was not with the P4P.

Definitely won't be sending back anytime soon. Whether I keep them long term is another matter. They are really a great fit with the MP in terms of function.

I'm slowly getting used to the controls.

You say it's your first experience with FPV but you don't seem to want to attack the learning curve of these goggles. These are my first FPV goggles and the learning curve seems about right to me for such capable (and complex) goggles.

My learning curve has turned into a lesson of don't rush into things.
I'm tempted to try a replacement in the hope I just had a bad pair, however I'm suspicious.
I'll see what dji say.

From someone who has a ton of experience flying fpv with racers I prefer flying my photo drones with the iPad mini. Landing is tough with the goggles and being essentially blind to immediate things/people around you is no fun.

From someone who has a ton of experience flying fpv with racers I prefer flying my photo drones with the iPad mini. Landing is tough with the goggles and being essentially blind to immediate things/people around you is no fun.
Refund authorised.
I don't want a replacement. Prefer the ipad mini screen myself as I feel more in control.

Yeah fpv def takes some getting used to and like I said I'm not sure if a photo/video drone is the best platform for it.

For fpv racers when doing a power loop or split-s going along for the ride is an amazing feeling...Not sure that's necessary or even desireable for a dji drone.

I understand where the OP is coming from in the over-rated mention. But it is DJI marketing speak too, and they are very good at that even though the product itself may have quality control or overall design "issues."

I have the Royale Moons which are 1080 screens in each eye which makes for a wide-angle field of view, but they are heavy and being sealed they can get sweaty over time. Sound quality is excellent though.

What I found an issue is that American shaped heads are different than Asian heads where they have less of a nose bridge so that area can become a fit problem where the nose gets pinched shut making it hard to breathe. Light leaks around the sealed padded edges are again due to the head shape differences and most of these devices are made to fit Asian heads by design and not American heads. Asian glasses have an angle at the front of the frames and the American are more perpendicular. Ask any optician about this as I went to a lot trying to get a better fit which was futile. Shoei motorcycle helmets were originally designed for Asian heads, and when brought them into the USA the fit was awful with red forehead marks due to the different Asian mold so they had to do a mold for the USA head shape. The Gylphs come with several nose bridges which helps a lot in the fit around the nose, plus the height they sit for the pupil is adjustable via a screw adjustment, but the screen is half the size of the Moons. The Gylphs may be the best universal design out there for fit.

Yes, I too find landing can be a problem as well as situational awareness. Probably best for the second person viewer or observer or the FPV racers on a closed course.

I wasn't impressed with the two tries of the Epson Movinos either and trying to control GO off their touch pad. I suspect the Epson hardware is going to be an issue with future GO if they don't design it for them.

I've got an itch to try the Brother AirScout as it seems to be a flip it out of the way quickly viewer, but it's almost $1,000 too. Lighter weight is another good thing about it.

Reactions: Ozz and jakobe75
Just got mine and HATE THEM. The image is crap compared to my $40 VR Goggles, $20 Litch and my Iphone...Not to mention don't see any signal strength in the view unless I missed it and can't even see how to format a card in the drone. Also big and bulky. Mine are going back...

Just got mine and HATE THEM. The image is crap compared to my $40 VR Goggles, $20 Litch and my Iphone...Not to mention don't see any signal strength in the view unless I missed it and can't even see how to format a card in the drone. Also big and bulky. Mine are going back...

What model drone do you have?

Really? Wow!

I got mine on Wednesday and have a spotter lined up for tomorrow night to try 'em out.

Look at them for what they are. I don't think goggles, in general, are an everyday replacement for a tablet. They're one of those things you take out once in while for fun or if you have some specific purpose. I see myself using them mostly for taking people on ride-alongs and flying over our hunting property out in the middle of nowhere. If they ever add head tracking to the P4, it would be fantastic for those purposes.

I took a peek through mine with the drone grounded and watched some Netflix yesterday, image quality seems fantastic to me.

Reactions: ChipperRay
I got mine yesterday and I have to say I'm not really feeling it. The video is pretty **** clear but I don't like not having all the menu available. The manual is far from really explaining things as well. I live in Florida and I am in good shape and don't sweat easy but when you put those on my forhead was dripping and the goggles got foggy. Needless to say I needed a paper towel. I also have a problem where it wont let me go more then 100 feet up and 300 feet away. I have looked at everything and cant figure it out..Going back to my IPAD for now. I'm going to get the hdmi module and try it like that and see if I like it. If not sucks to be me.

I also have a problem where it wont let me go more then 100 feet up and 300 feet away. I have looked at everything and cant figure it out.
You can lift that restriction by connecting your Phantom to DJI GO before hooking up the DJI Goggles. See more details in this video.

I agree with bkushner ... image is crap.. I wanted to give drone rides but the quality of image is 720 at best unless someone tells me how to get 1080. I have p4p hooked up with the HDMI (100$) module and ipad mini...view in goggles is pixelated and not clear at all :( ...very disappointed.. will send them back if possible! Playback of a video is super clear but that is not the reason for spending 450$..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan