DJI Goggles and P4 with USB & HDMI

Reaction score
I'm aware the tablet is not required when using the goggles but is there a way of using the Ipad mini 4 too.
I have the hdmi module installed so have both usb and hdmi outputs.
I feel weary relying on just the goggles?

Per the DJI Goggles manual, the DJI Goggles can be connected to either the micro USB or HDMI port on your remote controller. Your tablet connects to the USB port.

Last edited:
The goggles can be connected to either the micro USB or HDMI port on your remote controller. Your tablet connects to the USB port.
Yes but control is lost through hdmi which means I have to use usb for functionality unless I've got that wrong. If I want to use the P4 through the usb port then how can I mirror the display onto the ipad.
Lets say for whatever reason I'm a distance away and I get interrupted as u often do, the last I want to do is take goggles away from my eyes be blind to what's going on. As a back up it would be nice to still see the screen and controls.

Yes but control is lost through hdmi which means I have to use usb for functionality unless I've got that wrong. If I want to use the P4 through the usb port then how can I mirror the display onto the ipad.
Lets say for whatever reason I'm a distance away and I get interrupted as u often do, the last I want to do is take goggles away from my eyes be blind to what's going on. As a back up it would be nice to still see the screen and controls.

As far as I can tell, having not received the goggles yet and just going from the various reviews, with the exception of the Mavic, the goggles can only control the aircraft if they are the USB-connected device, and they iPad can only work via USB. So no - you cannot mirror in the way that you describe.

If I want to use the P4 through the usb port then how can I mirror the display onto the ipad.
The DJI Goggles connect to the micro USB port. The iPad connects to the USB port.

Reactions: sar104
Hi,
I have the same question, and I think it is still not answered: will it really be possible to control the AC from a tablet connected to the USB and at the same time also from the goggles connected to the micro USB, hmm I wonder, but I hope so...
Cheers

Reactions: sparky1111
Perhaps if I explain what I want then maybe it will be clearer.
I want to see the AC controls on my Ipad when I take my goggles off.
I can't use the hdmi to the goggles as I can't send data back thru the hdmi connection so I must use the usb connection which means unless I have a ipad to hdmi converter plus software it isn't happening on the ipad.
I think my only solution is to have a small screen which can receive a hdmi input from the controller (remember I have the hdmi module installed).

I can't use the hdmi to the goggles as I can't send data back thru the hdmi connection so I must use the usb connection which means unless I have a ipad to hdmi converter plus software it isn't happening on the ipad.
I answered your question above twice. You cannot connect the DJI Goggles to the USB port on your remote controller. You must connect them to the micro USB port OR the HDMI port. That means the USB port will still be available for the mobile device you normally use when flying.

I answered your question above twice. You cannot connect the DJI Goggles to the USB port on your remote controller. You must connect them to the micro USB port OR the HDMI port. That means the USB port will still be available for the mobile device you normally use when flying.

And you know for a fact, by own experience, that the two USB ports (micro and standard) can be used simultaneously? If so, that's great.

Yeah, or rather wait until my goggles arrive or until someone who actually have tried it answers. There is to much speculation on this forum in general.
Cheers!!

Yeah, or rather wait until my goggles arrive or until someone who actually have tried it answers. There is to much speculation on this forum in general.
Cheers!!
Yes or people that just agree with certain posters.

I did some more digging to try to find information from people who actually own the DJI Goggles. Here's what I found:

1) There are a few DJI employees running pre-production DJI Goggles models here on RCGroups. They said the DJI Goggles manual is incorrect. The DJI Goggles can only be connected to the HDMI port or USB port on the remote controller.

2) Alan Chan on RCGroups showed a setup of the tablet and DJI Goggles running at the same time via the HDMI port connection (see this post). This is no surprise though since the HDMI output on the HDMI output module has been tested with many other goggles/glasses models.

3) In this post on the DJI forum, Craig confirmed a mobile device cannot be used when the DJI Goggles are connected via USB. I'm not sure if he is using a pre-production model.

4) In this post, @Frostywinter said a mobile device cannot be connected at the same time since the DJI Goggles connect via the USB port on the remote controller.

That said, I can only assume the information in the DJI Goggles manual is incorrect. It does not seem the DJI Goggles can currently be connected to the micro port on the remote controller -- as shown here:

Mnaual.jpg

Last edited:
I did some more digging to try to find information from people who actually own the DJI Goggles. Here's what I found:

1) There are a few DJI employees running pre-production DJI Goggles models here on RCGroups. They said the DJI Goggles manual is incorrect. The DJI Goggles can only be connected to the HDMI port or USB port on the remote controller.

2) Alan Chan on RCGroups showed a setup of the tablet and DJI Goggles running at the same time via the HDMI port connection (see this post). This is no surprise though since the HDMI output on the HDMI output module has been tested with many other goggles/glasses models.

3) In this post on the DJI forum, Craig confirmed a mobile device cannot be used when the DJI Goggles are connected via USB. I'm not sure if he is using a pre-production model.

4) In this post, @Frostywinter said a mobile device cannot be connected at the same time since the DJI Goggles connect via the USB port on the remote controller.

That said, I can only assume the information in the DJI Goggles manual is incorrect. It does not seem the DJI Goggles can currently be connected to the micro port on the remote controller -- as shown here:

View attachment 82628

Ok, Thanks for that input, this sounds more like I expected. Manuals can sometimes be somewhat misleading.
Cheers!

Perhaps it's a feature that hasn't been implemented yet. An older version of the DJI Goggles manual showed head tracking was available for the P4. The current version of the manual shows it's not available. On RCGroups, DJI employees are saying P4 head tracking will be available later in a new firmware release (release date unknown).

I think if everyone understood that the goggles are basically a tablet on your head running software then you'll understand why things work the way they do. It has a version of DJI app software running on them. This of course is all disabled by just using them as monitors thru hdmi.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj