DJI Go : Smart Go Home option

My toggle says Smart Go Home. I've asked on the other board but haven't received a response.

No, not sure but I turned mine to On.
I'm dieing to try it, and other features as well.
I see you can now set the Phantom to Return to Home, Land or Hover...
That should be interesting, to try out, as well.

RedHotPoker

Sorry for the bad translation from my french version which mention "RTH intelligent".
This is of course this option "Smart Go Home" I was speaking about.

No, not sure but I turned mine to On.
I'm dieing to try it, and other features as well.
I see you can now set the Phantom to Return to Home, Land or Hover...
That should be interesting, to try out, as well.

RedHotPoker
Ever left it hovering over the Leg grounds? haha I feel like it's a good feature, but make sure to choose the right option in the right flight area. haha

The Leg...
I requested permission from the armed guards at the POST where the gate is on the East side. They said No Drones, and please don't ride the SpYder around the building either... ;-)

Right Oh... Old Chap!!
Won't do.

We could always take control back while RTH was activated, just use the sticks as per usual...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: acherman
Smart go home will trigger a RTH when you fly far and you reach the H in the middle of flight time remaining - this is where you have just enough battery to turn around and get back

Reactions: gfredrone
Smart go home will trigger a RTH when you fly far and you reach the H in the middle of flight time remaining - this is where you have just enough battery to turn around and get back
Did you try it? Just wondering how you know. I'm about to go offshore and would like to know exactly what this feature is going to do. No room for mistakes...

Blade confirmed this is part of the feature.

Last edited:
Did you try it? Just wondering how you know. I'm about to go offshore and would like to know exactly what this feature is going to do. No room for mistakes...

Blade confirmed this is part of the feature.

it works great and does as it says. You can cancel the action from the camera screen/App. Typically it wants to return to home by itself under 20% for me. I usually cancel that because I am close to home or landing by that time. IMO, no good reason to fly below 10% when out exploring (sans battery purge).

it works great and does as it says. You can cancel the action from the camera screen/App. Typically it wants to return to home by itself under 20% for me. I usually cancel that because I am close to home or landing by that time. IMO, no good reason to fly below 10% when out exploring (sans battery purge).

Actually, this has nothing directly related to battery percentage, but as others have stated; what energy it thinks it needs to return home (ie the location of "H" icon). This calculation is not just based on horizontal distance, but the anticipated energy needed to climb to the RTH height. If for example you set your RTH altitude to 1600' (500m), you'll get the prompt to RTH when your battery power is over 45%, (well above the default warning level of 30%); even with your P3 hovering a foot away from its home position--at least that's how it behaved with previous firmware / app version...

Actually, this has nothing directly related to battery percentage, but as others have stated; what energy it thinks it needs to return home (ie the location of "H" icon). This calculation is not just based on horizontal distance, but the anticipated energy needed to climb to the RTH height. If for example you set your RTH altitude to 1600' (500m), you'll get the prompt to RTH when your battery power is over 45%, (well above the default warning level of 30%); even with your P3 hovering a foot away from its home position--at least that's how it behaved with previous firmware / app version...
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't this part of the prior RTH functionality? Does this new option simply allow that functionality to be disabled when before you could not?

Reactions: JoBe
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't this part of the prior RTH functionality? Does this new option simply allow that functionality to be disabled when before you could not?
I was thinking the same thing--I see no difference, and the updated manual doesn't offer any further insight; so my conclusion is the same as yours, Oso. Though, now that we also have a "hover" option as well, this seems a little duplicitous--unless smart option only relates to RTH based on battery power, and nothing to do with radio reception.

Response from Blade

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32334437&postcount=29811

"Smart go home allows users to control the craft during rth."

So same as before just now there is an option to disable/enable controlling the craft while in RTH?
So let me see if I understand. We could always control the craft during RTH, but now we can use that new 'Smart RTH' settings option to enable or disable the ability to control the craft during RTH. Is that correct? I feel like that can't be correct.

Reactions: JoBe
"If" it applies to "normal" RTH (when signal is lost) then why would you want it to hover ?

In that situation you'd want it to turn around and come back so that you could regain control and then cancel RTH.

If it just hovered you wouldn't, perhaps, get control again unless you moved towards it ?

"If" it applies to "normal" RTH (when signal is lost) then why would you want it to hover ?

In that situation you'd want it to turn around and come back so that you could regain control and then cancel RTH.

If it just hovered you wouldn't, perhaps, get control again unless you moved towards it ?

Depending on certain parameters the Phantom will sometimes just land instead of executing a "Go-Home". If that happens over water or any other undesirable terrain, it would be useful if it hovered instead, allowing the pilot to get close enough to regain control?

Reactions: PhantomKid

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1