DJI Go secretly disabled overnight

Reaction score
Sometime recently in the past few days DJI has disabled all older versions of DJI Go. I drove a half hour this morning to get into the countryside to do some Windsurfer tests.

When I turned on the bird and the remote DJI Go came up as a choice and I selected "Just Once" as usual.

THEN a Tip popped up telling me a new version is available either through Play Store or online. I could press either button, but there was no way around it. I ying-yanged around and gave up and drove home.

At home I tried a tablet, and the same thing.

I use an older version of DJI Go which has proven over many months to be safe and reliable. I have gone into my phone and blocked updates of apps to save it from an update such as the recent one which sent many birds returning home in the next county for that reason.

How did DJI get in and corrupt my app? I DO NOT allow things I own to do things behind my back without my knowledge. That is the reason a high zoot computer with Windows 10 went back to Best Buy after less than one day. Reading this forum for the last six or eight months, it is hard to argue with my game plan. Until recently I have flown a LOT without incident, by following my rules and using common sense. If I have something which works fine,. why discard it?

I have discovered over a lot of years that many of the new and improved enhancements I am begged to partake of are really enhancements for the enhancer, NOT me.

I will now block all access to the internet on a spare phone and sideload Go 2.8.1 or whatever it is I have squireled away and see if that works. This is sure to disable maps though.

Is this happening to everyone? And is there a simple solution?

EDIT: After much ying yanging a member here, Spectra9 gave me a simple solution for rooted devices by modifying the host file. I tried it immediately and several more times over the next week or two and it works great on the phone and tablet. Thanks again Spectra

Last edited:
Reactions: t2adze
seems to be built in the app for some time just waiting for DJI to use it , do not connect by Wi-Fi or cellular and you can run older versions , there is a thread where some have figured out the correct procedure

seems to be built in the app for some time just waiting for DJI to use it , do not connect by Wi-Fi or cellular and you can run older versions , there is a thread where some have figured out the correct procedure
Yes, several threads since it first started a day or two ago. Needless to say, a disappointing turn of events that I suspect is a result of the very serious home point bug in the original Android v3.1.2.

Yes, several threads since it first started a day or two ago. Needless to say, a disappointing turn of events that I suspect is a result of the very serious home point bug in the original Android v3.1.2.
Oh that is what I thought, but I am many versions back. Is DJI not clever enough to fix the bug rather than putting a nuclear strike on everything?

I have use Advanced Permission Manager for a long time, and tried it on a tablet just now and it killed DJI Go altogether. It looks like maybe I will need App Opps editing or more skilled use of permission manager to get it to work and still have maps.

When I read this thread I opened my iPad and turned off wifi, then started up my P3P and GO app. Everything but maps worked fine. SO as long as I don't have wifi on when I turn on GO I should be fine except no maps right? I also have GO4 for my P4P on the same device, will I be able to connect wifi with GO4 and not effect my GO app?

Sometime recently in the past few days DJI has disabled all older versions of DJI Go. I drove a half hour this morning to get into the countryside to do some Windsurfer tests.

When I turned on the bird and the remote DJI Go came up as a choice and I selected "Just Once" as usual.

THEN a Tip popped up telling me a new version is available either through Play Store or online. I could press either button, but there was no way around it. I ying-yanged around and gave up and drove home.

I use an older version of DJI Go which has proven over many months to be safe and reliable. I have gone into my phone and blocked updates of apps to save it from an update such as the recent one which sent many birds returning home in the next county for that reason.

How did DJI get in and corrupt my app? I DO NOT allow things I own to do things behind my back without my knowledge. That is the reason a high zoot computer with Windows 10 went back to Best Buy after less than one day. Reading this forum for the last six or eight months, it is hard to argue with my game plan. Until recently I have flown a LOT without incident, by following my rules and using common sense. If I have something which works fine,. why discard it?

I have discovered over a lot of years that many of the new and improved enhancements I am begged to partake of are really enhancements for the enhancer, NOT me.

I will now block all access to the internet on a spare phone and sideload Go 2.8.1 or whatever it is I have squireled away and see if that works. This is sure to disable maps though.

No, this has not happened to me. I have DJI Go v3.1.1. Like you, I turn off updates. I have not seen any update messages. I have not been forced to change versions.

I too had a pop up come across my mini 2 stating that I needed to start using the dji go 4 app because as of februaryv2017 dji go support no longer ...ignored it, and flew my p4 with the older version....couple screen glitches, but I think due to cold.....then went and got the dji go 4 app and flew a couple times and only thing I noticed is my vertical height is off, calibrated it and all is fine at take off and hover at 5ft reads correct , til I fly around and come home it'll then show like -5 when its hovering 5ft at above ground so I have both dji go apps to choose from

but you can get GOOGLE maps if you have 4g cellular connection
Are you sure about this? If I have cell service, then DJI will be vulnerable will it not? I would have to block DJI and allow Google. And I believe DJI signs in every time I turn it on anyway. I will play around with this and search here to find how to defeat this new BUG.

I too had a pop up come across my mini 2 stating that I needed to start using the dji go 4 app because as of februaryv2017 dji go support no longer ...ignored it, and flew my p4 with the older version....couple screen glitches, but I think due to cold.....then went and got the dji go 4 app and flew a couple times and only thing I noticed is my vertical height is off, calibrated it and all is fine at take off and hover at 5ft reads correct , til I fly around and come home it'll then show like -5 when its hovering 5ft at above ground so I have both dji go apps to choose from
On an Android phone it would not let me in any way I tried. And DJI Go had been sideloaded via an apk rather than from the play store to begin with.

The app needs updating to fix the homepoint issue that affected some users, not updating will result in a possible flyaway during RTH

UPDATE:

I have Go 2.8.1 on a couple of tablets too, so I tried an experiment. I removed the sim card in the tablet and turned off WiFi. Booted everything up and flew around the yard. Then while the bird is hovering over my front yard I pulled down the upper settings panel and turned on wifi. Almos immediately I got that mesasge from hades. on top of my camera view. It kept flying and I landed but could not restart the motors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pete43
No, this has not happened to me. I have DJI Go v3.1.1. Like you, I turn off updates. I have not seen any update messages. I have not been forced to change versions.
FYI for anyone hearing of this for the first time: It has been reported countless times in the many threads on this topic that if you are connected to the internet you will get the update message even if you have disabled auto updating of the GO app. I have not tested this personally, but I trust the feedback from so many pilots who have confirmed that turning off updates does not stop the message from appearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
FYI for anyone hearing of this for the first time: It has been reported countless times in the many threads on this topic that if you are connected to the internet you will get the update message even if you have disabled auto updating of the GO app. I have not tested this personally, but I trust the feedback from so many pilots who have confirmed that turning off updates does not stop the message from appearing.
Yeah I just verified it for myself. I used an App permission manager and disabled a few permissions having to do with the internet on a fresh install and tried DJI Go and it will not even open so I still have some work to do.

Updates later .

Reactions: Lefty63 and Oso
That's why I use apple products, nothing is going to update or change without my permission.
no offence, but you are very naive
and with Apple products it's just the opposite - if DJI once wants you to do upgrade, it will be much harder (maybe impossible) to invent any workaround
for Android, it took me few minutes to find it and share it
"nothing is going to update or change without my permission" ... this has nothing to do with you using Apple products, it's valid for my Android products too, it's all about user and his knowledge

no offence, but you are very naive
and with Apple products it's just the opposite - if DJI once wants you to do upgrade, it will be much harder (maybe impossible) to invent any workaround

There is a way to roll back apple products, just search the forum for it.

Oh and in case you haven't kept up, there is a bug in the android app that puts homepoint in the wrong location, the app forced the update to fix that issue, if your still using the buggy app version then you risk your quad going bye bye.

My recommendation is that if your an apple or android user and DJI insists that the app needs updating then there is a good reason for it and your best doing it.

There is a way to roll back apple products, just search the forum for it.

Oh and in case you haven't kept up, there is a bug in the android app that puts homepoint in the wrong location, the app forced the update to fix that issue, if your still using the buggy app version then you risk your quad going bye bye.

My recommendation is that if your an apple or android user and DJI insists that the app needs updating then there is a good reason for it and your best doing it.
Yeah but Crash, there are others here who have an older version which is bug free and want to continue using something they have gained some confidence in.

Reactions: p3s_noob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.