DJI GO Maps

Reaction score
HI all, I'm flying a P3S and using the DJI Go 3.1.3 firmware app which uses the Here maps. I realized that in none of the flights I've done to date, the map was working as if the GO APP does not link to the maps. funny enough when disconnected from the controller the map works properly.
Is there something I have to change in the GO app settings?

Do you have an Internet connection on your mobile device when you're out flying? If not, you'll need to cache the maps before you head out to fly.

...I'm using an Android mobile which according to some of the posts I've seen, caches the maps automatically...is that correct?

Yes the maps cache automatically .... but I have found it is sometimes unreliable. I have had to scroll round the area two or three times to get them cached. I go out flying and have a blank map ... later at home I cache again ... go flying and its there fine.

I have not been able to figure out why yet !!

Nigel

..what exactly is here? is there an APP we can download? is there a possible way to switch to Google maps?

HERE is another map provider , there is a separate app but DJI GO does not connect to that app or use it's data , it's hit or miss which map you get and how much detail you get , this mess has been going on for a month now without a fix .

ok thank you...let me put another issue on the table...is there a possible way to make the controller's position the home point? I'm asking this, because while flying my PS3 from a sailing boat, which was of course moving, I realized that in case of RTH procedure, the drone would have landed on water...the would be solved if the home point could be constantly updated as the controller's position..any possible setting for this ??

HERE is the latest name for Navteq mapping used by majority of Auto navigation systems. It is based on Vector mapping used by many other facilities. The Satelite images can be overlaid to the base maps to provide navigational data or just work with the standard base maps often found in car systems.
Problem is the mapping used in car systems is a PAID application and is not free.
You can download whole regions / countries / continents in fact but they will not work with Go because its not cached mapping. Go does not have the full Navteq application embedded in it.

Previous Go app's such as 3.0.1 and before had GOOGLE maps and most people had better detail on those. Many people wish to have GOOGLE maps back again. But sadly Go now does not support Google mapping.

So we are back to OP and cacheing maps ... no use downloading map files or regions. You cannot use them.

Nigel

ok thank you...let me put another issue on the table...is there a possible way to make the controller's position the home point? I'm asking this, because while flying my PS3 from a sailing boat, which was of course moving, I realized that in case of RTH procedure, the drone would have landed on water...the would be solved if the home point could be constantly updated as the controller's position..any possible setting for this ??

Yes ... but with Go its a gamble ... better with Litchi. I'm still playing with Litchi on this and other functions so I cannot give you the ins and outs via Litchi.

I also have sailboats ... 2 and also 2 motorboats - so this subject is of interest to me also.

Nigel

so you're saying that the maps problem is solved when passing to Litchi?....

as for the home point issue, I'm .glad to see you have the same question, but I'm afraid that there's no way to make the home point a moving position...I might be wrong but haven't seen any such option or APP to do this...

so you're saying that the maps problem is solved when passing to Litchi?....

as for the home point issue, I'm .glad to see you have the same question, but I'm afraid that there's no way to make the home point a moving position...I might be wrong but haven't seen any such option or APP to do this...

Litchi does use Google Maps ... but you still have to cache the maps. So it does not solve the problem.

The Home Position CAN be altered to match Controller position ... it needs the tablet or phone used on the controller to have GPS capability as well and be able to transmit via the 2.4 link the position data to update the AC.

Page 28 of the Litchi manual ... "Dynamic Homepoint" ........... which allies to FOLLOW ME mode ...

Nigel

thank yoyu Nigel it sound....this is another reason to switch to Litchi then.....have you ever tried it?
is the Litchi's download for P3S Android free?

I am currently testing Litchi for my own use ... it has far more functions and ability than Go and therefore requires a learning period.

It is NOT free ... go to Google Play Store and search Litchi for DJI Phantom ... I paid via Paypal and downloaded electronically.

Nigel

This map thing confuses me lol

My dji go is up to date and as far as I can tell its google maps???

Maybe not but sure looks and acts like Google.?

I'm using iPhone 6plus. Maybe it's Apple maps?

well, I guess I have connection as the 4G is always on..
You have two options, cache the maps at home with your wifi before going out. And with some devices you need to leave it powered up to keep them.
Next is if your device has cell data (3G/4G) you can use that in the field, but I believe you still need to cache the maps in the field before switching over to the drones wifi. As some devices might have an issue with downloading map data via the cell service at the same time being connected to the Phantom. Not 100% on that last line because all my devices are dedicated to the hobby and don't have sim cards.

You have two options, cache the maps at home with your wifi before going out. And with some devices you need to leave it powered up to keep them.
Next is if your device has cell data (3G/4G) you can use that in the field, but I believe you still need to cache the maps in the field before switching over to the drones wifi. As some devices might have an issue with downloading map data via the cell service at the same time being connected to the Phantom. Not 100% on that last line because all my devices are dedicated to the hobby and don't have sim cards.
Thanks I'll try to explore all options including Litchi which might have the other big advantage of possibly setting the conyroller as home point...

Thanks I'll try to explore all options including Litchi which might have the other big advantage of possibly setting the conyroller as home point...
I believe even the Go app can be set so the RC is the home point, but the difference is it's static, not dynamic.

This map thing confuses me lol

My dji go is up to date and as far as I can tell its google maps???

Maybe not but sure looks and acts like Google.?

I'm using iPhone 6plus. Maybe it's Apple maps?

The problem is with the android app not the iOS.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Dazzauk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20