DJI GO App shut off mid-flight

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forums!

Had an issue with flying my Phantom 3 Professional today. This is the 5th time I've flown it, and felt comfortable enough to take it out of LOS. Figures that as soon as I can't hear or see it, the app on my phone shuts off. I have an iPhone 6, 128 gigs. All my firmware is up to date, app is up to date, full charge on everything (I hate Apple).

I blindly retraced my steps with the controls, and thankfully was able to navigate it back.

I was going to try to turn the app back on but didn't want it to possibly mess with anything. I would have turned it back on if I couldn't get it back, but I finally did.

So what happened? Corrupt App? I nearly crapped myself when it happened.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Even if the fault lay with Apple (which I doubt) and even if you were unable to regain app telemetry, and even if the transmitter lost connection, the fail safe programming would have brought your Phantom back.
Take a breath, we all know the adrenalin takes a while to get dissipated, and look through all the ways that you retain control while beyond LOS. For example
1. Video downlink lost --- telemetry still on --- use the "radar" to fly back to home.
2. Total loss of video and telemetry-- try rebooting app otherwise engage RTH button.

Etc

Reactions: Meta4 and Grant0605
Good info, thanks.

What if I am around a bunch of trees? I took off in an open area and flew it away, but it was on a mountain in a heavily wooded area. Would to RTH button fly it through trees or is it able to fly through the opening in which I took off from?

The RTH, whether automatic or chosen will cause the phantom to rise to a preset altitude and then return. If there are trees directly above the phantom when the RTH is enabled, it has no ability to avoid the obstructions.

What if I am around a bunch of trees? I took off in an open area and flew it away, but it was on a mountain in a heavily wooded area. Would to RTH button fly it through trees or is it able to fly through the opening in which I took off from?
There are two full pages in the manual explaining RTH and it is the most important topic for Phantom Pilots to understand.
You should practice using RTH under controlled conditions so that when you need it or when it activates, you know what is happening.
You can always cancel RTH and resume control - there's no need to let RTH fly all the way home and land itself.

I've had the app crash a few times while flying, once had to completely reboot the iPad mid flight. Once you relaunch the app it will resume as if nothing happened. Remember, a mobile device isn't required to fly.

Hello all, new to the forums!

Had an issue with flying my Phantom 3 Professional today. This is the 5th time I've flown it, and felt comfortable enough to take it out of LOS. Figures that as soon as I can't hear or see it, the app on my phone shuts off. I have an iPhone 6, 128 gigs. All my firmware is up to date, app is up to date, full charge on everything (I hate Apple).

I blindly retraced my steps with the controls, and thankfully was able to navigate it back.

I was going to try to turn the app back on but didn't want it to possibly mess with anything. I would have turned it back on if I couldn't get it back, but I finally did.

So what happened? Corrupt App? I nearly crapped myself when it happened.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm having the exact same Issue.

P3A and an iPhone 6 128gb. Battery on the iPhone is always good before connecting to the Phantom, say 80% or so. Once I start to fly, I sometimes get the iPhones 10% warning before it shuts off. Usually I don't even get that, it just dies. Once I land and take the phone inside and plug it in, it restarts at the same percentage as was showing before the flight.

I live in the UK so not especially cold and the iPhone was pretty solid until this.

I've emailed DJI but so far nothing back.

I got this same problem but on Android - Galaxy Tab 2s. .. on the middle of my fly the app turn off (a few secound before that my app is frozen - I saw no reaction on pushing any button on screen)

I've had the same issue happening with my phantom. I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 and it's restarted itself several times during flight. Not a comfortable feeling but I have always had control of the phantom. I immediately start bringing it down, wait for the app to restart, and send it back up. There's alot of technology working together so something may go cross eyed. Not fun, but it happens.

It always appears worse than it is. You don't need a visual, i.e., tablet or phone to control a Phantom, it just helps. In a worse case scenario you can always turn off your RC. Last ditch effort imo, but it will initiate the RTH function.
Luv the adrenaline rush, not!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Another advantage to using a tablet, occasionally if it's very hot and I'm not standing in shade, my iPad will overheat and shut down. When this happens, I pull iPhone out of pocket, plug it in, and resume. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik