DJI Go app crash (question?)

Reaction score
Last weekend i was with one of my friend to fly and grab some some video of a church near my hometown.
P3P, Android Samsung S5, DJI Go app 2.8.0, stock Antenna.

Here what happen, we fly the bird pretty close to us (around the church) for finally decide to go away. There was no strong interference, no big wall, trees or big house.

At about 300meters, the image retransmission get all blurry and freeze. It happen some time for 2-3 seconds and gets back to normal image/telemetry. But this time, no go. There was nothing to do to get back to have image, see the telemetry etc etc. There is no solution to switch back to HomeLock.

The P3P was really small in the sky, so we were not sure witch direction it goes. After 4-5 minutes we were able to find the good direction to get the aircraft close to us. We land it but not stop it.

I decide to do some test and try to understand what happen. Like i said we never lost the control of the UAV, so, the RTH never kick in.

I try to close the app, reopen it, no go, just a black screen. I try to kill the app from the task manager (Android) and start back the DJI Go app, no go (black screen). The only thing i was sure that's gonna be to help us. Restart the Android device. It was successfull and DJI Go app start normaly and image/telemetry get back. Anyway the bird was on land (camera still recording).

I have to say that on the phone, there was a lot of other application open. email, facebook messenger etc etc. I was sure that Galaxy Samsung S5 was a powerful phone (it's in the DJI smartphone list). With that experience, my friend really think that buying a tablet will be is next purchase.

Anyone ever experience that issue.

My concern is also, if we we're not able to get the bird back to us. Is that procedure to reboot the phone inflight while the aircraft still hover 300meters from us would work ?

We are always welcome to learn new thing in the flying world !!

Yes you can reboot your mobile while P3 is hovering in air.

All the apps should be closed on mobile before you start using it for P3 as we need lots of computing power to process the video stream. Let's not take any risk. Even keeping mobile in airplane mode will help. Also mobile should have few GB free to effectively work.

After shutdown of go app, try unplug and replug USB and then start go app. It might save you from reboot.

Can you confirm that "airplane mode" will keep "location" ON for GPS using ?

I always use GPS onsight to look at google map for flying.
I cache the zone where i'm gonna fly before leaving my house (using wifi).

Yes. GPS is active on Phantom and is functional in Airplane Mode.

I don't talk about the GPS on the P3 but on the smartphone.
Yes GPS remains on even in airplane mode on mobile.

Check and verify on your device.

Thank's for this advice @alokbhargava

I will test all of that (GPS and close APP) on my next R&D flight (couple of meters away)
...and publish your results so we all are collectively updated. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic