DJI GO App and Your Privacy

Is the flight data the only data they have mined? And how are you sure?
Before the leak you believed they weren't sending any flight data. Now its confirmed they are (were). Now what do you believe they are NOT sending?
I'm still not convinced DJI have any of my flight data.
But if they had everything my Phantom ever flew, I still wonder what possible espionage value would be in that.

Which may be why Amazon keeps showing me 'Hello Kitty' things when I log in.

Funny you should mention that because Amazon just happens to be one of the servers dji has some of your data being exported to.

But if they had everything my Phantom ever flew, I still wonder what possible espionage value would be in that.

I hope I'm not making a mistake by responding to something not directed to me but.... Say your flight is entered into a pool of agencies attached to whatever network with database configuration. Just so happens during the middle of last week a bank near your area was robbed. X-agency plugs into the network database and states a FAA licensed recreational small aircraft owned by You just happened to be flying over a 1/2 block away at 200ft altitude. X-agency stops by and questions you checking to if you might possibly have video on hand that could help them in their operations.....ect blah ect.

That of course is just one of many possibilities that could take place based on who all has access to the data that exported from your a/c.

I hope I'm not making a mistake by responding to something not directed to me but.... Say your flight is entered into a pool of agencies attached to whatever network with database configuration. Just so happens during the middle of last week a bank near your area was robbed. X-agency plugs into the network database and states a FAA licensed recreational small aircraft owned by You just happened to be flying over a 1/2 block away at 200ft altitude. X-agency stops by and questions you checking to if you might possibly have video on hand that could help them in their operations.....ect blah ect.

That of course is just one of many possibilities that could take place based on who all has access to the data that exported from your a/c.
If that's the worst possibility, it would rate about the same as having your car license plate shown in a security camera and being asked if you'd seen anything suspicious because you were driving through the area.
I think either is extremely unlikely and still can't begin to imagine the potential espionage value that anyone's flight records might have.

If that's the worst possibility, it would rate about the same as having your car license plate shown in a security camera and being asked if you'd seen anything suspicious because you were driving through the area.
I think either is extremely unlikely and still can't begin to imagine the potential espionage value that anyone's flight records might have.

The fact of the matter is....it is the other info that has nothing to do with your A/C flight details, or dji, that is seen being exported from the device that host the GO app. If you were to watch what was going on live as details were being exported and saw your sisters address and phone number in the detail cluster, you may would wonder what a drone company would want with that type of info. More importantly you may want to know what happens to that info once it is in someone else hands.

I stopped worrying about it last year after I set up a new tablet in which I dedicated it solely to flying the P3, and nothing else.

The fact of the matter is....it is the other info that has nothing to do with your A/C flight details, or dji, that is seen being exported from the device that host the GO app. If you were to watch what was going on live as details were being exported and saw your sisters address and phone number in the detail cluster, you may would wonder what a drone company would want with that type of info. More importantly you may want to know what happens to that info once it is in someone else hands.
I fly with a wifi tablet and there's no data going anywhere while I'm flying and as I don't upload anything to DJI, I'm at a loss to see how they would have anything of mine.
But they are welcome to as much of my flight data as they want.
There's nothing in it that would worry me.

The only fix I have for this alleged breach of privacy is to- NEVER RUN APP UNLESS phone is in airplane mode.
Keep cellular data off for this app

Last edited:

Not everyone cares about it. Some do. If you have Neanderthal neighbors who think drones are spying on them maybe you don't want to broadcast that you're flying them or where you are. There are many examples of ways location data can lead to someone getting hurt.

In my case, my flight data can contain proprietary and copyright information about shooting locations, plot, etc. I'm under NDA with the studios not to share anything. If I don't block the GO app, DJI would put me in breach.

As for who's data is getting copied, there are numerous examples of people's data online in an open API. Those people never downloaded the Discover app. They never synced their flights with DJI servers using the Go app. They simply used the Go app to fly their drone and their data was found on DJI servers.

Reactions: Wolfiesden
I fly with a wifi tablet and there's no data going anywhere while I'm flying and as I don't upload anything to DJI, I'm at a loss to see how they would have anything of mine.
But they are welcome to as much of my flight data as they want.
There's nothing in it that would worry me.

I too fly with a WiFi tablet. Never go, only Litchi. The "I don't care" attitude about private information and data has been the genesis of the problem. The "I don't care, they can have whatever" attitude has allowed companies and governments to snoop, pry, and record many things than what would currently not be the case if more people cared and objected in the beginning. "My data is worthless" is a false assumption.

Websites freely hand over mass amounts of data to google in exchange for their free analytics tools. Its spyware on a global scale. Google then keeps it, mines it and sells it. Your data being sold for someone's profit other than you. And you didn't agree to it. Early on, people were able to opt out of the collection process. But since it was buried and hidden so people who were not savvy, didn't know and many that did, didn't care. Now there is no opt out anymore. Your only option is to opt out of targeted ads, but your data is STILL collected, STILL mined, STILL sold. Every site you visit. Every search you enter. Every product you purchase online. Its all recorded and stored by google and there is no way to opt out now. And to escalate matters, millions have sold out and use free Gmail. Guess what, they mine that too. Short of using things like ad-block browser plugins, entering google addresses in your hosts file and entering records in your firewall. Most people won't or can't do those things. So google won a surreptitious battle for your data basically because the public surrendered thinking it wasn't a battle worth fighting. Like it or not, its the big brother you read about. Not the government. Private companies like google. I wager, google knows far more about you than the US gov does.

The flight logs and other data are simply the first steps by DJI. Unless people push back now, then it will escalate and your ability to say no will have been lost.

Reactions: quadrotor and AL T
I always joke with friends that all that personal info they post on facebook is making the NSA's job much easier than it used to be when they had to tap your telephone. Now all of us DJI customers are unwittingly helping create Skynet. Sarah Connor's gonna be pissed.

As some oneone thats done work in the the IT field for govement contractors. I can assure you that they dont have to tap in to any thing and pretty much are already tapped in to every thing and in to ever one from the get go. Even verisons main hub is physical located in the same building as the fbi but for legal reasons they have separate addresses. So as to make it as if they are not the goverment and thus not required to have a warrant for all the data that is filtered threw them and then passed on to the goverment. and just that one building in a city in ny state routes almost 80% of the worlds phone traffic flows threw it in some way shape or form.

What makes you so sure?
Only 5+ years experience flying and the knowledge that there's no difference in the signal between your drone and controller whatever app you are using.
But if it makes you happier, yes using Litchi will definitely prevent imaginary data privacy problems.

Here is the privacy policy which is on their website.

Now I wonder what would happen if we all start to ask for what information they hold on us ?
-------------------------
GENERAL
SZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd. together with its affiliated companies ("DJI") respects the privacy of every individual who to use any of our services or purchases any goods from us. This Privacy Policy outlines the information DJI may collect and how it may use that information.

USE OF PERSONAL DATA BY THIRD PARTIES
To enable us to better provide our services to you, we will engage third parties to process your personal information or share your personal data to our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, for processing, use and retention. By continuing to use our products, services, access to our websites or purchase from us, you consent that your personal data will be used and maintained by us and other third party processors engaged by us. We will make our best efforts to ensure that such processing of your personal data, either by us directly other third party processors, are also in compliance with the applicable privacy laws.

Where DJI restructures its business, DJI or those acting on its behalf, will, as part of this process, transfer and/or share your personal information to another entity within DJI in accordance with all applicable laws.

Personal information data may be stored and used to calculate charges, to monitor and review usage and to perform statistical analysis to enable us to understand who is using our websites and how it is being used. This information is used solely for our internal business purposes and will not be shared with or sold to any third parties.

We will not sell, rent, lease or make available your personal information, mailing lists or other customer data to others, and we will not make your personal information available to any unaffiliated parties, except as follows:

• To agents and/or contractors who may use it on our behalf or in connection with their relationship with us (for example, we may use third parties to help us with promotional campaigns).
  • As required by law, in a matter of public safety or policy, as needed in connection with the transfer of our business assets (for example, if we are acquired by another company or if we are liquidated during bankruptcy proceedings), or if we believe in good faith that sharing the data is necessary to protect our rights or property.
We also rely on some of our affiliates for support of the products and services we offer, and we share some of our back-office functions with other third parties companies. Our affiliates are all required to preserve the confidentiality of any personal information they may access.

Also, please note that we may store and process your personal information in systems located outside of your home country. However, regardless of where storage and processing may occur, we take appropriate steps to ensure that your information is protected, consistent with the principles set forth under this Privacy Agreement.

COLLECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
If you want to interact with us via our websites or if you wish to register to access or use certain parts of our websites or other services or if you purchase any goods from us, we may ask you to provide us with some personal information.

When collecting your personal information, our staff will provide you with his name and job title so that you can identify who collects your personal information. If we collect your personal information via our websites or other non-personal interface, you will be provided means to contact us if you are in doubt in the process of collecting your personal information.

The personal information to be collected and used by us from you may include your name, gender, address, telephone numbers, email address, other contact details, occupation, and any other information which may help us to identify you, your demographical segment for our marketing and analysis purposes.

The personal information provided by you may be used by us to:

• process, validate and purchase orders;
  • contact you when necessary;
  • send email notifications of new site, product, and/or services features, newsletters and topic updates;
  • understand users of our websites or services including their demographical and profile information; and monitor users' visits and generally collate aggregate site traffic information.
Unless you agree otherwise, your personal information will only be used by us to provide you with the products or services you have agreed and requested. Your personal information will be used by our sales and marketing team and customer services team for sales, marketing and customer services purposes. You agree that we will use the personal information provided by you to provide you with additional information about our products and services. By accessing and using our websites or using our services, you consent to the foregoing.

CHILDREN
DJI has no intention of collecting any personal information from individuals under thirteen years of age. Where appropriate, DJI will specifically instruct children not to submit such information on our websites and / or will take reasonable steps to ensure parental consent to such submission.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY
In some cases, we may automatically (i.e., not via registration) collect technical information when you connect to our site that is not personally identifiable. Examples of this type of information include the type of Internet Browser you are using, the type of computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you linked to our site.

Personal information may be released to legal or regulatory authorities in cases of suspected criminal activity, for the detection and prevention of crime, or when required to satisfy the legal or regulatory requirements of governments, regulatory authorities or other self-regulatory organizations. Other reasons for the release of personal information include when we are legally required to do so (e.g. by court order) or to protect our assets (e.g. collection of overdue accounts). If we release personal information for any of these reasons, we keep a record of what, when, why and to whom such information was released.

ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
At any time you may ask us to

• send you a copy of your personal information which we retain;
  • remove your personal information from our records; and/or
  • correct or update any of your personal information in our database.
MARKETING OPT-IN AND OPT-OUT PROVISION
When you register, you will be given the option of opt-out of subscribing to our regular updates service. We will send you e-mail alerts for new products, features, enhancements, special offers, contests, events of interest, and marketing promotions. Such alerts may include marketing information about DJI or selected business partners.

We do not sell or otherwise pass your details to third parties. Marketing communications you subscribe to will only be sent by DJI. At all times, we will offer you the opportunity to unsubscribe out of any service or update to which you have subscribed, if you change your mind. Any e-mail we send you will contain an easy automated unsubscribe link so that you can opt-out of that subscription. Simply follow the indications in the e-mail.

CREDIT CARD INFORMATION
If you purchase a product or service via our websites or from other channels, you may provide us with your credit card details. These details will only be used to process your purchase. We will not disclose your credit card details to any third parties unless such disclosure is necessary for processing the payment or ordered by legal or regulatory authorities.

COOKIES
When you view one of our websites, we may store some information on your computer. This information will be in the form of a "Cookie" or similar file and can help us in many ways. For example, Cookies allow us to tailor a website to better match your interest and preferences. With most Internet Browsers, you can erase Cookies from your computer hard drive, block all Cookies or receive a warning before a Cookie is stored. Please refer to your Browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.

CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY AGREEMENT
DJI reserves the right to amend, change or modify this Privacy Agreement at any time without prior notice to you or your consent and such amendment, changes or modification shall be effective immediately upon either posting on our websites or notifying you as the case may be.

COMPLAINTS
DJI is committed to working with you to resolve, quickly and fairly any complaints you may have about privacy. If you have any questions or comments please contact us through one of the methods set out in the “Contact Details” section below.

SECURITY
Our websites have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. In addition to this, we have privacy policies and security measures in place to protect our customer database and access to this is restricted internally.

DISCLAIMERS AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY'
We endeavour to ensure proper collection, use and retention of your personal information. However, in no event shall we be liable for any loss or damages including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damages, or any loss or damages whatsoever arising from or in connection with the collection, use and retention of personal information unless we are in material breach of or gross negligence in our obligations under this Privacy Agreement or in breach of any privacy laws applicable.

LAW AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Any dispute arising from, or in connection with the Agreement shall be first settled through friendly negotiation by both Parties. In case no settlement to disputes can be reached through amicable negotiation by both Parties, the disputes shall then be submitted to China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission for arbitration in accordance with its arbitration rules in force at the time of application for arbitration. The arbitration shall proceed in Shenzhen, P.R. China. The arbitral award is final and binding upon both Parties. The arbitration fees shall be borne by the losing party except otherwise awarded by the arbitration commission.

CONTACT DETAILS
For any enquiries, please contact us as follows:

DJI Headquaters
Then what about this privacy policy from there website that robinb posted? it say they collect data.

Then what about this privacy policy from there website that robinb posted? it say they collect data.
Have you read the privacy policy for anything else?
That's standard boilerplate text to cover every trivial possibility and you'll see similar everywhere (if you look).
Instead of accepting the idea that DJI is collecting your data without questioning it, try thinking about why they might, what value it could possibly have, think about how they could actually siphon off your data and how easy it is to prevent that.

Sorry quadrotor, just about everything you do these days is covered by such "Terms and Conditions". The only personal information DJI can gather from us is when we visit their website.
"There is no way the drone or RC can communicate with them EXCEPT possibly via the tool you use to fly, the tablet, phone, iPad etc. as they can communicate via your network if you connect them to it". Personally I have a dedicated tablet to fly with and it doesn't have a SIM in it for network coms.

"" I think this is a true statement

Last edited:
Sorry quadrotor, just about everything you do these days is covered by such "Terms and Conditions". The only personal information DJI can gather from us is when we visit their website.
"There is no way the drone or RC can communicate with them EXCEPT possibly via the tool you use to fly, the tablet, phone, iPad etc. as they can communicate via your network if you connect them to it". Personally I have a dedicated tablet to fly with and it doesn't have a SIM in it for network coms.

"" I think this is a true statement
But many people DO have a SIM card and are connected to the internet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4