DJI Go App and Battery Drain

Reaction score
Guys,

I got my quad yesterday and installed the latest DJI Go app.

My phone (Galaxy S5) was a bit low on battery, to I put it on one of my weaker chargers (Of a PC USB port), which I normally do, and it normally charges up (slower than off a mains charger).

However, after 10 minutes, my phone switched off! I powered it on, but it failed to start due to empty battery...

I thought my charge port had died.

I then put it on a mains charger and it charged. I powered on today, after a couple of hours, battery down to 42%. Checked my settings, and noticed a warning in my power settings, that 'DJI Go was using an unusually high amount of battery'.

Googled, and wow... a lot of people have the issue. One thread ended a few months back, but it was DJI saying that this was normal for background apps! Crazy! Only way to solve is to go and Force Stop the app.

Why is the app killing the battery, even when I close it? (Not force close... just close)
Is it sending data in the background? Is there an acceptable solution to this? (I find going into settings, and foce closing an app, is not acceptable).

Or are we doomed to love with this, and wonder, 'What is this thing doing in the background?!'

Guys,

My phone (Galaxy S5) was a bit low on battery, to I put it on one of my weaker chargers (Of a PC USB port), which I normally do, and it normally charges up (slower than off a mains charger).

However, after 10 minutes, my phone switched off! I powered it on, but it failed to start due to empty battery...

I then put it on a mains charger and it charged. I powered on today, after a couple of hours, battery down to 42%. Checked my settings, and noticed a warning in my power settings, that 'DJI Go was using an unusually high amount of battery'.

Googled, and wow... a lot of people have the issue. One thread ended a few months back, but it was DJI saying that this was normal for background apps! Crazy! Only way to solve is to go and Force Stop the app.

Why is the app killing the battery, even when I close it? (Not force close... just close)
Is it sending data in the background? Is there an acceptable solution to this? (I find going into settings, and foce closing an app, is not acceptable).

Or are we doomed to love with this, and wonder, 'What is this thing doing in the background?!'
I believe it keeps GPS active if the app is not force closed, or if you don't back out of it the whole way... it'll prompt you with "are you sure you want to leave the app" or something along those lines.

Reactions: MajObvious
I've noticed this too. Even after I reboot my phone and have not used the DJI Go app, it will be running in the background. Not only draining the battery, but gobbling data too. Last month it used about 1/3 Gig of my data and I didn't even fly or use the app at all. I've ended up uninstalling it if I don't think I'll need it for a while. For what it's worth, it seems the Litchi app does the same.

I'm surprised this isn't bothering people more. It's unusual with all of the apps that exist that use GPS etc and this is far the craziest drain I've experienced. And often I use Litchi and DJI Go in the same session. Watch out.

I believe it keeps GPS active if the app is not force closed, or if you don't back out of it the whole way... it'll prompt you with "are you sure you want to leave the app" or something along those lines.
Cool, thanks, noticed same thing on mine this weekend - will give this a shot.

I have not even used DJI Go for weeks! I reboot my phone every night. And here it is, draining my battery. Before adding my drone apps, I was getting about 4% battery drain per hour. Now I'm up to 10%.

Attachments

• 1463490202750.jpg
    1463490202750.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 421
I have not even used DJI Go for weeks! I reboot my phone every night. And here it is, draining my battery. Before adding my drone apps, I was getting about 4% battery drain per hour. Now I'm up to 10%.
As has already been concluded, you need to back ALL the way out of the app or more conclusively, force close DJI Go. Android no longer closes apps with a reboot.
Still- too much of a hassle if you ask me. I don't have to do this with any other app.

Last edited:
I always force close the Go app after a flight, otherwise it drains and drains.. I was surprised the first few times I noticed this, made sure to make it a habit to completely exit the Go app after flying..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I also had the same experience of really bad battery drain from the Go app after I though I had quit it. If you're not sure whether or not it's running, go to Settings -> Apps, then select DJI Go and hit FORCE STOP.

I always use the app, Advanced Task Killer, to stop any apps that drain your phone.

Sent from my iPad using Phabulous PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys,

Hi Cralis and other Phantom owners with samsung galaxy phones,
I am an old timer who just got my phantom 3. I love my drone but with my Galaxy S5 the battery drain is insane even after using my DJI GO app. I found out the drain is going to happen no matter what. So I took another route and found a solution. After using your DJI GO app on the galaxy S5 you must first shut down your S5 completely. Then turn it back on. Keep your finger on the power on button untill you see the galaxaxy s5 words appear on your phone. Then release the power button and press down on the volume button and hold the volume button in the down position until the phone is completely on and ready to use. You will now have your battery back with normal drain and will be able to charge up all the way. There is also another problem. Even though the phone will charge up and hold the charge you may see some apps dissappear from your phone on your desktop of your phone. Dont worry, just reboot your phone one more time and your apps will reappear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31