DJI GO 4 - Just updated, terrible signal and video

Reaction score
Hi I just updated this yesterday after using the original app for about 9 months. I'm using a Nexus 7 Android Tab. As soon as I booted everything up and connected to the new app I noticed terrible video lag, big black areas that didn't go away. I checked the signal strength in the channel indicator and it was dire. A reinstall solved nothing and the issue remains.

Is this something I can resolve or will I just need to go back to the old app?

TIA

Try going back. I did.

I got a bad feeling DJI is putting too many patches into their software and it is taxing out the processor. Would make sense in that Android seems to lack in processing power over the Apple iPad Air 2 and Pro mostly due to the Android bloatware allowed to run in the background too.

I never had any break up with the Air 2 until the recent GO changes as well as their HDMI module. Now the Air 2 is breaking up about 1-2% of the time whenever I hit the Red button on the camera. Probably will need a yet-to-be-released Apple Air 3 or Pro 2 in the near future if they keep knackering up their software to the point it will need a super-computer with a water-cooled GPU to run it.

Hi I just updated this yesterday after using the original app for about 9 months. I'm using a Nexus 7 Android Tab. As soon as I booted everything up and connected to the new app I noticed terrible video lag, big black areas that didn't go away. I checked the signal strength in the channel indicator and it was dire. A reinstall solved nothing and the issue remains.

Is this something I can resolve or will I just need to go back to the old app?

TIA
Go4 doesn't like some Android devices.
Try Go3
If your a bit phone savy. You can go back to the older Go apps. They even work better.
Running 2.9.1 here.
1.8.0 update for the Remote has video issues for some also. 1.6.0 is the way to go..

There are a few threads. Ill look for one to Link.
(Work around for forced update) is one I think.
The update folder needs to be modified and then saved as read only.
To test. Find the 2.9.1 apk. File. Use a apk installer from Google play. Turn off cell and wifi. It won't try to auto update without internet.

No problem!
I used the (mod the folder) way. They do talk about a way to use a firewall to block the update.

Here is a video of my fun after the forced update.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Turbo

Last edited:
Yes thats exactly what the new app looked like on mine. Strangely there were 2 others flying with me both with brand new P4's and the latest app with no problems. I wonder why a new P4 doesnt have these issues but older one do??

This was the notification screen in Health Drones yesterday..............

upload_2017-3-6_15-1-55.png

Yes thats exactly what the new app looked like on mine. Strangely there were 2 others flying with me both with brand new P4's and the latest app with no problems. I wonder why a new P4 doesnt have these issues but older one do??
Good question.. Some seem to have issues and some don't. It does seem the Android users are having more issues.

Right, I've tried a few of the earlier SDK's and I'm still having signal issues and broken video. This is really frustrating as only a few weeks ago before this 'enforced update' the P4 was working like a charm. IN effect DJI has bricked my craft and to all intent and purpose they have actually broken the P4. Do I have a warranty claim as it is no longer working?

They will probably blame it on your Tablet, but you can try.
Is your Controller on 1.8.0 or 1.6.0 ?? 1.6 plays better with Android devices.
I'm surprised an older Go app didn't clear that up...hmmm..
Did you get the older Go app to not auto update?

I rolled mine back because, #1) I hate dealing with DJI, #2) My device isn't on there list and 1.6.0 has always worked well for me.
You shouldn't have to do any of this crap!! but I get a bigger headache talking with DJI support then spending 2 days figuring out how to go back to what worked...
That is sad..

Edit, couldn't find the video but it's easy to roll back.
To downgrade the RC, you would hold the top right menu option of the Equipment page for 3-5 seconds while only having the RC connected (craft off). From there you'll see the option to go back to previous firmware.

My craft is back 1 or 2 , i run the older DJI Go app. Some controllers have video issues with 1.8.0
I use 1.6.0 in both of mine..
Seems worse on Android:(

I wouldn't worry about the bird..
Roll back the RC.
It's easy to do.

Last edited:
Cheers Turbo, I'll do this until the new app 'matures', if it ever does. It might be wishful thinking but I was hoping the next roll-out (if its not just a rumor) of the app that supposedly give the P4 the same features as the Mavic might help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers