DJI go 4 In Flight App Crash

Hi There Wind Of Change,
Great to hear back from you, Yea I guess your only as old as you think you are LOL, Where do you live , what State? I live in Rockford IL and it's Cold and been raining for the past 3 days and will for a couple more, sucks, But first I got into the RC Nitro trucks like the HPI K 5.9 Monster trucks , then bought the TRAXXAS X-01 electric on road racer which I got up 60+ miles an hour, it would do 100 MPH but I couldn't keep it on the road long enough to get it there, Then last year I bought my first drone, the XIRO Xplorer V FPV drone and learned a bunch, then started running into what I believe to be technical design problems, like the drone would keep losing connection with the RC , so I sent it in for repair and it came back fine worked as it should, So being an idiot I bought the Xplorer G and shortly after that it started having the same problems, So I read a lot about the Phantoms and thought I'd give it a try, bought the Phantom 3 Advanced , took me a week or so and a lot of help from people on this site to figure it all out and have flown some good flights with no disasters LOL so I then checked on the Phantom 4, I was impressed and thought with the knowledge I've obtained from the first one this one should be a piece of cake...right, not right, the drone is perfect it's the screwed up DJI Go 4 app. for Android, it crashes !See I have the DJI GO app for the Phantom 3 adv. drone and the DJI Go 4 for the Phantom 4, when I go to connect say the P3 the OS and the app doesn't know which app I need to be opened. Pain in the you know what, so the help I received on here told me to open my setting in the Phone go to Applications and then to the app manager and go to each of the Go apps and click on each one and CLEAR DEFAULTS so as to set as default, problem is when I get to the button that says CLEAR DEFAULTS the button is grey meaning you can't do it, and it says "None Set as default" I have not heard back yet from anyone how knows why this is, so I'm stuck for a minute, But I did do this, which ever Phantom I'm going to fly first, I go the other Go app and FORCE STOP it from opening then the right app opens and connects after a couple tries, Then when I fly the Phantom 4 for I go to the play store and click open for the app and it takes FORCED STOP off so I can use the app again, then do the same process for the other app and so on. Pain in the *..%%^ you know. But yea I am addicted to the flight and have gotten some nice footage, I'll put a YouTube link to one of them f you get time check it out it's not bad did all the video editing on the PC using Corel Video Studio X10 Ultimate, works nice. Any way I'll let you go for now, it's kind of nice to have someone to talks drones with That's COOL. Below will be the video link let me know what ya think for an old man LOL
Take Care Link:
https://youtu.be/EpTEdp2-Cwk

Steve

Hi Wind Of Change,
Great to talk with ya, Yea I guess your only as old as you feel, Where do you live , what state? I'm here in Rockford , IL Northern IL and it's cold and rainy for the past 3 days or so and going to for a bit more. Actually I'm up on quite a bit of tech toys like I have the Amazon Alexa and The Echo and have my lights and my heat for the house and audio connected to the app so I can say Alexa turn on the living room lights and she says OK and turns them on, Alexa turn the thermostat to 72 and she says turning thermostat to 72. The whole dang house is wi fied LOL, These drones I actually love the hobby it is expensive for sure , but hea anything cool usually is. Yea I have a work around for my problem since I can't get the app DJI GO4 and DJI Go apps to open properly, they don't know which one to open for which Phantom 3 adv. LOL so I FORCE STOP the one I'm not going to use and then switch it to the other one to fly the Phantom 4 but the GO4 app for Android is definitely flawed and I hope they figure it out quickly, the P3 adv. and the P4 are amazing I love getting the video and editing it on the PC. I have put a few on you tube with music, turned out pretty good for an ole guy. So you got 60 mph winds? Man we have had some of those but not in a while just rain rain rain... I feel like I'm living in Portland Ore again.. I hear you on the iPad, I'm also considering buying a iPad mini 2 or a iPad Air 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the price, I was told to make sure which ever one I buy make sure it is made for Wi-Fi and Cellular or I won't have any GPS on it, so I'm keeping that in mind. Your right about the batteries too, I have 3 one is made for the P4 Pro rated at like 5840mAh the other 2 are the standard and they COST for sure. That is why we have to treat them like a lady LOL gentle..
Anyway I'm going for now take care and look forward to taking again soon.
SteveP55

I've had problems with the Go 4 app ever since it was released, so I continued using Go 3 to fly my P4. Yesterday Go 3 popped a message saying it no longer works with the P4 and I had to use Go 4. It froze up within the first 3-4 minutes of every flight. Hope DJI will release a debugged version of Go 4 since they now made it so Go 3 won't work with P4 any more. Anyone have more info? I'm running a Nexus 7 (Gen2) tablet with current version of Android.

Hi Nick,
I have had nothing but problems with the Go4 also, I was using Android Samsung J7 phone, so I bought an Apple iPad 3 Mini tablet, I've heard that its works with apple products without crashing I guess we'll see? DJI needs to fix their software problems, the P4 and P3 Advanced I own are beautiful flying machines if you can fly them LOL...
Take Care
Steve P55

Steve, I'm in Utah, which is a great state for aerial filming. While we have some of the best National Parks, they are off limits for drones. But we have plenty of open BLM land that's currently okay for flying.

You are way more high tech than me! I don't trust the automated systems, I'm sure the government uses them to spy on people. I'm paranoid, for no good reason.

I'm currently in New Mexico filming some desert locations. So far The Litchi app has disconnected and locked out the drone three times in maybe 20 flights. That's better than the Go 4 app, which crashed every flight. I'm staying LOS on all my flights, so it's not a deal breaker. But thanks for reminding me to get a cellular version of the iPad for GPS.

Hea Wind Of Change,
You're so lucky, I know it's beautiful out there, I want to do some of that videoing, I bought an Apple iPad 3 Mini, I'm going to try that with the Go4 app and see if it works right ? we'll see I guess. Have you tried doing any slow motion videos with your P4 ? I've been checking that out and man it looks cool, I have to try it. Sorry for the app problems, I know you don't like apple products but you might have to give it a try, I'll let you know how it goes with mine. I might be able to fly again in a day or two, been rainy for days now and it sucks too!
Talk to you soon and HAVE Fun!
Steve

Have you tried doing any slow motion videos with your P4 ?
Steve, I haven't tried any slow motion stuff. I just had a local American Indian come and visit with me. He was on horseback, and he had three herd dogs with him. He was trying to locate a lost bull. It would have been cool to film him at high frame rate racing across the desert, but I didn't think to ask. Need to keep my creative mind turned on 24/7 to take advantage of opportunities.

More than anything, I try to keep a low profile with my drone gear. I've had several friends lose all of their gear in car thefts. If people are around, I put it all away and go someplace else. I can do that in the west, the deserts here are vast and varied.

Hi Wind Of Change,
I guess I'll try to buy a Apple product, I'm not a fan of them either, and you said your old eyes I'm 62 years old, your a young man LOL
DJI better get the *..*^^ together you know, I'm pissed, $926.00 and I have only flown the P4 like 4 feet ...
Thanks for the reply.
SteveP55
HI I android 4.0.7.Samsung Galaxy 10/1tablet ,,no glitchs no freezing no app crashes,,no problems ...was going to get iPad but bit expensive here,,,I seem to have good combo at moment,,,,it be better when wind stops so I can fly,,:):),tablet has GPS and glonass which I convinced helps..sure I makes more compatibility with the p4

Wind Of Change,
Believe me I get the worry to about someone trying to rip you off, I have one park I fly in and not in the best part of town, and I worry each time I'm out there, must be wise grasshopper...LOL But hea, that Indian and horse and dogs... are you kidding me ! that my friend could've been a once in a life time opportunity. Yes you must always keep in mind, really your an artist that's what the video concept is about for us. I just haven't had a lot of that myself. There is really not much exciting around this part of my state nor any other part, I would like to go down to this place by the Rock River and on the other side is a 50' tall statue of Chief Blackhawk over looking the river, I thought it might be cool to fly across the river to where he stands and get some video of that and then fly back, But not until I know without a doubt my P4 and Go4 app is going to bring it back, I worry about that more then some idiot I might have Kick the **>* out of for trying to steal it from me LOL. Anyway, Have fun and think artistry !
Steve

HI I android 4.0.7.Samsung Galaxy 10/1tablet ,,no glitchs no freezing no app crashes,,no problems ...was going to get iPad but bit expensive here,,,I seem to have good combo at moment,,,,it be better when wind stops so I can fly,,:):),tablet has GPS and glonass which I convinced helps..sure I makes more compatibility with the p4
You Are Lucky ! seems a lot of people with the Samsung products with the Android OS are have many problems with crashes including me, it's got to be in the GO4 app, hopefully DJI can figure it out and stabilize it so we are not afraid to fly, right now I am, I have a iPad 3 Mini coming this week , I'm hoping this will function so I can fly safely again.
Take Care
SteveP55

You Are Lucky ! seems a lot of people with the Samsung products with the Android OS are have many problems with crashes including me, it's got to be in the GO4 app, hopefully DJI can figure it out and stabilize it so we are not afraid to fly, right now I am, I have a iPad 3 Mini coming this week , I'm hoping this will function so I can fly safely again.
Take Care
SteveP55
Yip mind you me tablet not cheap at $600 ..I nearly went apple but was to costly,,,I have had my share of problems to ,,,best of luck sorting out ,,take care and happy safe flights ;)

I was on the backside of the Escalante Wilderness area yesterday and having a great time flying my P4Pro+, when suddenly the DJI4 app locked up. I could see that at one point my Phantom was only 2887 feet away and 283 feet in elevation when the screen froze up. That distance and elevation was not an issue, nor should it be. I lost sight of my drone, but thankfully I could hear it, but just barely. So I kept turning it to the left a bit, then touched the right control a little bit. The darn app kept asking if I wished to shut the program down or wait. I kept telling the program to wait. Thankfully I could tell that it was starting to head in my general direction. Of course the return home option did not work, nor changing to the "A" option. Thankfully my drone kept getting closer and closer and it did respond to manuel controls. I finally saw it and brought it back to my launching position.
What the heck was going on with that sorry DJI app. Is there anything I can do to prevent this issue from happening again. I am driving 50 or 60 miles into BLM land for a night and I want to launch and fly both of my Phantoms. One night of total silence and hopefully us my OSMO Mobile to film the Milky Way.
HELP

I was on the backside of the Escalante Wilderness area yesterday and having a great time flying my P4Pro+, when suddenly the DJI4 app locked up. I could see that at one point my Phantom was only 2887 feet away and 283 feet in elevation when the screen froze up. That distance and elevation was not an issue, nor should it be. I lost sight of my drone, but thankfully I could hear it, but just barely. So I kept turning it to the left a bit, then touched the right control a little bit. The darn app kept asking if I wished to shut the program down or wait. I kept telling the program to wait. Thankfully I could tell that it was starting to head in my general direction. Of course the return home option did not work, nor changing to the "A" option. Thankfully my drone kept getting closer and closer and it did respond to manuel controls. I finally saw it and brought it back to my launching position.
What the heck was going on with that sorry DJI app. Is there anything I can do to prevent this issue from happening again. I am driving 50 or 60 miles into BLM land for a night and I want to launch and fly both of my Phantoms. One night of total silence and hopefully us my OSMO Mobile to film the Milky Way.
HELP
HI you could get idea of what going on by looking at your airdata sows where and when you had errors...might give a clue

Strike Force... I drove through Escalante last week and plan on going back with my P4P. This week was San Rafael & Goblin. Loving the drone itself.

My P4pro flies great on litchi, but the DJI Go 4 app crashed every flight. Really buggy software. A lot of Android users are dealing with the same thing. Try downloading Litchi flight controller first. Also get a backup hdmi monitor, I'm using the $200 Transformer goggles, which are great HD goggles (a bit bulky, but the price and quality are great). The hdmi output is independent of the tablet software, so even if the app crashes, you have a stable video feed.

Correct, HDMI output still output video wathever app status as completely independent. This is a great backup and also wearing google can really help flying generally speaking. The only thing is local regulation might say not allowed, extra person to be present and more depending country etc.

I have never seen discussion about law/regulation saying it is admitted to wear google to recover craft in emergency situation. Why not allowing this as would allow avoiding crash and more? This could be an interesting new thread maybe.

Last edited:
Last Sunday I tried flying my P4 with Go 3, like I always have over the past year. But Go 3 popped up a message saying I had to use Go 4 for the P4. Every time I tried using Go 4 the app crashed within a few minutes. Yesterday I tried running the app indoors without flying, just to test the app. It crashed every time, about 10 times in a row. I allowed it to report to DJI and include the system logs. I never heard a word from DJI.

Today I uninstalled Go 3 ad Go 4 and then downloaded and reinstalled Go 4. I also put my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet in airplane mode to shut off its radios. I flew out about half of 3 batteries and Go 4 didn't crash at all. Something worked. I didn't delete any DJI files, so that wasn't needed.

Problem solved, and I hope it stays that way.

Users are having all sort of experiences with GO app and different results with same device. Of course there is not necessary same configuration settings, available disk space and more with device but wathever .. we don't like these app just crashing and we're just blind. Can't believe developpers are not able to catch error and log, or at least know status just before being abruptly kicked out by system. I have seen feedback from K1 tablet manufacturer stating DJI might not be using some certified system function or so and that can cause issues. Assuming or telling DJI is doing wrong is just not fair as they are certainly doing lot of efforts we don't know. But app seems crashing too much these days with Android as reported by users. Percentage? Maybe not so much given the number of crafts and variety of configurations and we see only complaints which gives exagered bad picture, I would say.

We know some apps are per example capable of reporting problems and this is maybe what you are already doing in background when the option Me>Privacy>DJI Product Improvement Project is enabled.

DJI crafts are just fantastic and very well made for the price. It's really a pitty that experience get ruined just because an app. It is eventually putting the craft at risk and could cause accident, so we would be not surprised if one day we see some new regulation imposing app certification for authorized air use.

Ok ok I'm out....

Last edited:
I have not had any success with uploading my flight records due in part to the fact that I I wasted the extra money so I could purchase the P4Pro+. I left my home April 15 and here it is May 15th and I have not been able to upload any of my flight records. Of DJI support has been totally useless.
Can I directly link either my controller or my drone directly to my laptop and transfer the data directly?

Reactions: DanMan32
I also have Nvidia Shield K1. I had lot of crashes with Go4 and Litchi. Typically 1-2 times per battery. I downgraded from android 7 to 6 a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have had 0 crashes :)

I have not had any success with uploading my flight records due in part to the fact that I I wasted the extra money so I could purchase the P4Pro+. I left my home April 15 and here it is May 15th and I have not been able to upload any of my flight records. Of DJI support has been totally useless.
Can I directly link either my controller or my drone directly to my laptop and transfer the data directly?
I don't know if the tablet on the plus has any way to connect to it but if you can get to its file system then you can get the flightlog TXT files and upload them to phantomhelp foe analysis. You can get the DAT flight records off of the AC and use a free utility to analyze those. The DAT files are quite large though.
To get to the DAT files, first you put the AC in flight log mode with the app, then connect your PC to the USB connection on the AC itself, not the gimbal. The AC will show up on your PC as a USB drive.

Not sure why you can't sync your flight logs though. Do you have a WiFi internet connection on the tablet and app logged into DJI site?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31