DJI go 4 In Flight App Crash

Well I bit the bullet and did the system downgrade to 6.0 on my K1 tablet. What a pain, but it worked. However, rather than giving me solid connection worry-free flying, it just changed the type of drama and risk. Now, instead of the software going black or crashing, as it did before, the software stays stable, but the video image does NOT. About 2 minutes into every flight, the image just freezes. The software stays up and running, but my image just locks on a single frame and stays that way, never returning to live video feed.

Honestly, that is much WORSE! Before, if the screen went black or the DJI Go 4 app crashed, I knew what was happening because it was so blatantly obvious. I could restart the app and it would sync up again. But to be flying along and suddenly the image freezes... I thought my drone proximity sensors had sensed something close and stopped the drone in the air. So I pushed forward, left, back, right on the sticks to see if I could get it to respond... but the whole time I'm literally flying blind with a frozen screen image that I thought was live video.

So my next concern was maybe the data throughput on the USB cable was so intense that I needed a higher quality cable. I bought and tried 7 cables, and even the top of the line Mil-Spec Nomad cable that set me back almost $40 still has the screen freeze problem.

I seriously can't catch a break with this thing.

The only saving grace is that I installed the HDMI output hub on my transmitter, so I can fly from a second HDMI feed. If not for that, I'd return the thing.

Can you try set video feed speed in manual mode 4mb, channel 32.

Also disable video local cache recording.

Or try to contact Peter: NeverMindYourOwn YT channel. He's using K1 and might accept to share with you he's exact configuration. It's a cool guy using K1 since a while.

GO App crashing on Nvidia Shield K1 with v7 (Nougat)

d2cd638129301f253fc7a26bc21fc888.jpg

To fix it delete DJI GO 3 and 4 and make sure to delete all DJI files from your tablet Reinstall DJI GO 4 and it should fix it
I have never loaded go 3. There is a problem when I update to the latest andriod os. Thus, I have to keep the auto update from downloading. Not other fix has worked.

RémyHeli,

I did set the video speed to 4mb. I didn't know you could set your video to a specific channel. Do you force 5.8 or 2.4? I trust 2.4 more, and have locked it to that, but it doesn't matter if I set it to the lower bit rate, the video still freezes and doesn't come back. It's a weird glitch.

I'm not sure where to turn off cache recording. I'll see if I can figure it out. I installed Litchi and will give it a go as soon as the rain stops.

Sorry for the channel I meant highest available, should be 20 in your case. It's 2.4 only for P4. Goal being to select channel with low usage, often the case with # 20.

See Channel button (you device must have US country setting but loooks already the case if you are able to set bitrate manually).

0a784806389b13687529caac243c9733.jpg

Last edited:
And for the cache for less CPU consumption, but all these are little performance gain so If you got major problem it won't be solved by these minor tweaks. Therefore the idea to consult someone who has also K1 but working better than your.

a16cbb3c25af10d6a6753423066f0ebb.jpg

I think many have K1 as very interesting device and GO app is known to crash with by just quitting abrutly. The freezes and glitches you stated seems to be a different issue in my opinion.

Now if you would rate the time you spent'd on this - which has a value - you would have already virtually the money to buy iPad mini4 or so? You might be not Apple fan, which I can understand, but your craft is grounded whilst GO fly is needed for enjoying the drone which - itself - is nice thing.

Sorry for such thinking..... but maybe time to convey your frustration to radical change approach, maybe, or just stick to Litchi .. ok ok I exit....

Last edited:
DJI most likely did cut corners with the Android version of the Go app. After all, why can't go 3 on a Samsung not easily connect to the RC? I either have to repeatedly reboot the RC until the tablet/app catches and locks into the correct USB connection mode or reboot the tablet.

Well the weather should be good tomorrow. I'll get out and spend some time learning Litchi. Hopefully I will have better results and I can finally start enjoying this drone. Thanks for all the input guys, I greatly appreciate it!

Reactions: RémyHeli
Well the weather should be good tomorrow. I'll get out and spend some time learning Litchi. Hopefully I will have better results and I can finally start enjoying this drone. Thanks for all the input guys, I greatly appreciate it!
Another tip, unless you for some reason must stay with 6.0, is to go to 5.0 (Lollipop) thats what i did and everything works like a charm.. i had all the problems discussed in this thread on 6.0, and more. With the downgrade everything works fine.

I think many have K1 as very interesting device and GO app is known to crash with by just quitting abrutly. The freezes and glitches you stated seems to be a different issue in my opinion.

Now if you would rate the time you spent'd on this - which has a value - you would have already virtually the money to buy iPad mini4 or so? You might be not Apple fan, which I can understand, but your craft is grounded whilst GO fly is needed for enjoying the drone which - itself - is nice thing.

Sorry for such thinking..... but maybe time to convey your frustration to radical change approach, maybe, or just stick to Litchi .. ok ok I exit....
Well, I am not an apple person, and chose the K1 before the update that caused the instability. The K1 is a good tablet with some very good support, and I was able to make stuff happen very easily when directed bi Nvidia. This is a DJI problem, and I cannot pinpoint the problem yet. My ultimate solution is litchi, and will hope someone at DJI wakes up.

This is crazy as Litchi reputed stable. You might want share this with Litchi support, these guys are helpful and open minded.

Hello,

While flying my P4 today the DJI 4 Go app crashed mid flight. I use an Nvidia Shield K1 with the latest software for the app, tablet and controller. The video feed pixilated and then the app just crashed and had to be restarted from the home screen. It immediately reconnected and I was able to maintain control. The aircraft was well within visual range and sufficient altitude to be seen. The craft itself was stable and I was in full control from the controller. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? I have flown with the Shield for several hours without any issues. Would be interested in knowing other's experiences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had a lot of trouble with the Android version of the DJI Go app crashing on nearly every flight. It was frustrating and at times scary. It is the good thing that the controller works without the mobile device.

I gave up and bought the iPad Mini4. The IOS version has work flawlessly.

It's the App DJI GO 4
It happens to all of us and they know it .
The Nvidia shield K1 is the best of the bunch I've used and every now and then the app crashed on it too.
I've talked to allot of people and they all have had problems with the GO 4 app.
(previously used Samsung Note 4 and Tab A 8 " ~ same problem)
Hi Guy's
Me too, I'm using a Samsung J7 phone with the DJIGo4 app and it keeps crashing as well, This is crazy!
Is the devices Wi-Fi supposed to be shut off during flying like on the DJIGo for Phantom 3 Advanced?
Another question, Will the Litchi work and is it safe to use on the P4?

I gave up on the DJI Go App and installed Litchi. I got a dozen successful flights with no problems, then tonight had a disconnect about 2 minutes into a flight. It would NOT reconnect to the drone after restarting the software, so I had to fly it back and land and restart controller, drone, and app before I could get it to reconnect. Very frustrating.

Honestly, I would just go out and get an iPad mini if I thought it would be a long term solution, but I'm not a fan of these tablets outside in the sunlight so I'm patiently waiting for the large CrytalSky monitor to come out. I saw that they are releasing the small one, but who wants that? I can barely work on an 8" screen with my old eyes.

The Litchi app should get me by with my Fatshark Transformers as a primary monitor. If Litchi crashes, so be it. I can still fly the drone home with my goggles.

Hi Wind Of Change,
I guess I'll try to buy a Apple product, I'm not a fan of them either, and you said your old eyes I'm 62 years old, your a young man LOL
DJI better get the *..*^^ together you know, I'm pissed, $926.00 and I have only flown the P4 like 4 feet ...
Thanks for the reply.
SteveP55

SteveP55,

Well I'm impressed that you're tackling the new tech, you're not really an old-timer yet, but kudos for getting into the field, a lot of folks your age would be unwilling to learn all this new gadgetry. It is expensive for sure, but when you stop to look at what you're getting for the price, the drone, plus the camera, plus the HD broadcast system, the Phantom really is a bargain. All of those things bought and combined separately would cost much more. They do need to get their act together on the software, but thank heavens they are allowing third-party developers like Litchi to fill in the gaps for us.

I can't fly today, it's insanely windy with 60mph gusts, but hopefully I can get back out tomorrow and get some more Litchi time in and see how it does on the Android.

They announced the price on the 7.85" CrystalSky 2000nit monitor, and $999 is a bit much for me. I'm not sure I can afford that. I'd almost rather get a used iPad, deal with the dim screen, and put the extra money into a backup P4 or a Mavic... or more $169 batteries. I still cannot believe they charge that much for these batteries, they gotta be worth $50 max! I think that's where they make their money, honestly. They offset the drone cost to get a lot of people into their products, then make money off them repeatedly in bloated battery fees. I coughed up cash for four of them, and wish I had one or two more... but man it hurts.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4