DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

Yeah, flying rules, like why planes are above 500 ft, you know, like speed limits for roads, no drunk driving. The FAA has rules for a reason, so I can reasonably expect to fly from point A to point B without running into a craft that has no business being there.

Depends where you live and video. If you live next to a mountainous area, you need to go higher than 500m. And you'd still be less than 400ft AGL.
Well that's strange, I fly on top of a mountain here which is 2,260 feet elevation and my software lets me go up 390 feet more with no problems, if you have to fly over that mountain from the bottom of it of course your breaking the rules of safe flight and you should have enough sense not to do it , I would be glad if software blocked me, it should for safety reasons !!

There are clearances that should be maintained for aircraft safety. There is a lot of G airspace here in Alaska that affords many flight rules not available in other places. A pilot must plan a flight, which he or she would consider what objects and their heights, as well as weather and available landing areas. Sectional maps are great tools for some of the info needed. That's why when someone wants to fly drones commercially they must have at least a sport pilot license, then you will be knowledgeable about these things.

At first I thought the course I have to take (in Canada) to allow me commercial ops was a nuisance (aeronautics and coms theory, 32hrs). I very fast realised it was a welcome necessity and am really looking forward to it !

Reactions: Brad Pierce
The smarter and wiser we are with these aircraft, the lesser will be the rules and regulations. I love this new P3p, and both my sons are totally stoked.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
The smarter and wiser we are with these aircraft, the lesser will be the rules and regulations. I love this new P3p, and both my sons are totally stoked.
Actually the faa just adds regs for new tech. They dont lessen the old regs. Sorry to disappoint.

Easy fix... Do not update to new firmwares from now on... Unless DJI add something really really cool like bringing the old GS/Waypoint system back like on the P2V+... There is no reason to update ever again.... Keep your device on Airplane mode and turn off automatic updates and never never ever connect your drone to a pc... Problem fixed.
Better yet build your own drone! (they call them! ) BUT WAIT most people can't so they buy the boxed version. Kinda Like this what sounds better? A theater system in a box OR one that you put together with devices that work and sound good together?

Yes, if people are idiots with these aircraft, then the FAA will be obliged to restrict use even more, in order to protect manned aircraft. I'm fine with safety first, but many give no thought to what's happening around them, until they cause an accident.

I for one will be in no hurry to upgrade to whatever firmware includes GEO. I will do a LOT of studying these forums to learn the results obtained by early adopters before I make this decision.

Reactions: Fourprops
It will most likely be a required update. Meaning that you probably cannot take off your bird until it is updated.

It will most likely be a required update. Meaning that you probably cannot take off your bird until it is updated.
Doubtful. They've not done that in the past and the PR would be really bad. They'll just annoy you into upgrading:

Dialog Box 1: "You should upgrade to the latest firmware"
You: Click (or squish or tap or however we indicate feedback).
Dialog Box 2: "Did you really mean to bypass this nice firmware update?"
You: Click
Dialog Box 3: "I'll give you a cookie."
Dialog Box 4: "Please."
Dialog Box 5: "YOU REALLY, REALLY SHOULD INSTALL THIS UPGRADE. IF YOU DO NOT, UNSPECIFIED BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR DOG".
Dialog Box 6: "I'll start singing ...."
You: "Oh crap, stop it already, I'll upgrade".

They have already said it will be mandatory. You can even call and ask them. They will tell you the same like they told me.

Doubtful. They've not done that in the past and the PR would be really bad. They'll just annoy you into upgrading:

Dialog Box 1: "You should upgrade to the latest firmware"
You: Click (or squish or tap or however we indicate feedback).
Dialog Box 2: "Did you really mean to bypass this nice firmware update?"
Dialog Box 3: "I'll give you a cookie."
Dialog Box 4: "Please."
Dialog Box 5: "YOU REALLY, REALLY SHOULD INSTALL THIS UPGRADE. IF YOU DO NOT, UNSPECIFIED BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO YOUR DOG".
Dialog Box 6: "I'll start singing ...."
You: "Oh crap, stop it already, I'll upgrade".

We will see, I suppose. It's clear that not everybody at DJI is singing off the same sheet (typical in a large organization),

You can always just not upgrade the Go app, They cannot force that on you.

They have already said it will be mandatory. You can even call and ask them. They will tell you the same like they told me.
I don't see how it could possibly be "mandatory", and especially how exactly they would force a update.

When you open DJI GO it checks for updates. So what if my tablet is simply not online when the DJI GO app is opened? There is no way for the P3 to know there is a "mandatory" update.

These systems, after all, do not require internet connectivity to operate.

One can very easily make the latest firmware not compatible with an older app. It is incredibly easy if DJI wants to force this implementation on users. And it is a good thing.

Why don't you contact DJI. Out group just had a lecture with their legal head who was very explicit and detailed about how it will be a mandatory update before flying. I don't care if you believe me, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing because the update actually will give more freedom to fly certain places if you are registered with DJI B

Why don't you contact DJI. Out group just had a lecture with their legal head who was very explicit and detailed about how it will be a mandatory update before flying. I don't care if you believe me, but it isn't necessarily a bad thing because the update actually will give more freedom to fly certain places if you are registered with DJI B
They can consider it mandatory, and call it "mandatory" all they want. They can send out a warning to registered users and say "this firmware is MANDATORY, you are in violation of terms of use unless you install it".

So to DJI it is mandatory. I'm not arguing with that. What I am saying is I don't see a physical mechanism that could possible force an upgrade... the best they could do is tell the DJI App when it looks for updates that one is available and the bird cannot fly unless it is installed -- if they did that it would be a cheap-shot at their customers, but at the same time it would require the tablet/phone having internet connectivity at the time, easily bypassed. For example I have a dedicated tablet for my P3 and I keep it off the internet by default.

Also not arguing with the thought that it might be a good thing in general. But I like my P3 like it is now, don't fly it places "Geo" might open for me, so I don't see the value.

Brendan was very clear how they would force an upgrade in order to be able to fly. Good luck though! You can call them if you want to know how but it was clear and made sense. And if you think it isn't "possible" get ready!

If DJI implements this correctly, it will be a good idea. The current implementation is a bit half assed. I still don't think DJI can force any update on a user. Since you 'own' the Phantom, they cannot tell you what to do or not to do. I would have to look at the EULA to see if they tried to circumvent that - not going to, I have other things to do today. But as ParsnipHysorter pointed out, keeping the cell phone or tablet away from the Internet will keep the system in the dark.

The only way to circumvent that would be to have a timer embedded in the current firmware that would stop it from working after a certain time unless updated. I'm pretty sure that would not be a legal move in the US. It would certainly be a **** move.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj