DJI gained a customer and lost a customer in 3 days

I ordered a DJI Phantom 3 pro on Wednesday. I was super excited when it arrived on Friday !! I did all my firmware upgrades and got it all ready to fly Saturday morning. I head out to the field by my house calibrate it get ready to fly and it says I am in a " No Fly Zone". I figured it was some kind of mistake the nearest major airport is 20 miles away. So I go back to the house start digging online and find out every where around our house is a no fly zone. I live in Greenbelt Maryland which is 13 miles outside DC. The no fly zone is ridiculously large.... I am disabled and have no way to drive everytime I want to fly. I am so dissappointed... When you order a Phantom if your shipping address is in a no fly zone you should be notified at check out. So I am done with DJI !! I understand the small no fly zones around airports, but it should stop at that. A 40 mile circle around DC is so extreme. This is a terrible stomp on our freedom to enjoy things we love to do. It should not be DJI's job to tell me where I can and can't fly. All that being said I am looking for a Drone similar to the DJI, but with out this stupid no fly zone crap. Any suggestions ?

Try to understand it's not DJI, it's the FAA. If you buy a non-restricted drone just so you can violate the FAA regs, you aren't helping the community, and may encourage the FAA to get even more restrictive.

Reactions: bobmyers and Timtro
I ran into the DC no flyzone right at montgomery college in rockville. The app warned i was approaching then a second later it just stopped cold mid air. Not an area I normally fly so it is not an issue for me. I agree the 15 mile radius around DC is absurd but that is not DJI's doing.

Be careful what you wish for.

Victor Hugo once said "excess is its own undoing".

The way things are going with 600+ "incidents" with drones and other aircraft, the "restrictions" could likely get a lot worse.

Those who got elected because you voted for them (or because you didn't vote at all) love to make laws that make no sense, but make them "look good" in political ads. And if you want to know why they think more and more restrictions are necessary, just look around any forum, including this one.

Can a mod put this crap in the general forum please?

I don't think the submitter considers this crap.

Living close to DC it was an eye opener to me.

I'm on this forum to learn all I can before I buy...and thank goodness I'm just out of the NFZ.

Tremendous amount of misinformation here.

DJI, in my opinion, has far exceeded what is required by the FAA for operation of UAS and other model aircraft. The official FAA position is here:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/

Note; No reference to No-Fly-Zones for UAS here. But, they are in place for full size aircraft, and you can find those elsewhere. It seems some here are conflating the restrictions for full size aircraft to UAS hobby operations. As did DJI. This is not correct.

If anyone here has a more restrictive interpretation of UAS operations from an official FAA source, please post them here.

Thx,

DJI, in my opinion, has far exceeded what is required by the FAA for operation of UAS and other model aircraft. The official FAA position is here:

Note; No reference to No-Fly-Zones for UAS here. But, they are in place for full size aircraft, and you can find those elsewhere. It seems some here are conflating the restrictions for full size aircraft to UAS hobby operations. As did DJI. This is not correct.

If anyone here has a more restrictive interpretation of UAS operations from an official FAA source, please post them here.

Thx,
You need to start reading "between the lines". Our quads are out interfering with full-size aircraft. Most "model aircraft" aren't doing that. Our quads can do many things that "model aircraft" can't do. Look for new rules to separate us from model aircraft soon. Everything said and done up til now has been to try and prevent that. It's not working.

No fly zones are for public safety, hello mcfly! With the recent media clamor about alleged "near misses", reading forums like this, plus the DJI manual online and putting two and two together - nfz and flying responsibilities, conducting pre-purchase research about operating multi-rotor copters seems pretty sensible, but common sense is not common nor "legislatible" .

That's a crappy situation, but for what it's worth, and no offense but why blame the manufacture for implementing a feature that's gonna save you a lot of hassle should some G man decide to pay you a visit for flying in probably the most highly monitored no-fly zone in the country. Seems like common sense not to. Just take a trip an additional 20-30 miles from where you are now and enjoy the new toy. Just my take
That was poor response, do you work for DJI?

You need to start reading "between the lines". Our quads are out interfering with full-size aircraft. Most "model aircraft" aren't doing that. Our quads can do many things that "model aircraft" can't do. Look for new rules to separate us from model aircraft soon. Everything said and done up til now has been to try and prevent that. It's not working.

I have always believed in facts. Show me some.

Your "reading between the lines" is what produces all this wild speculation and rumor that feeds on itself.

Maybe DJI reads too much stuff on the internet, and that's why they over-reacted to the White House incident. No regulations made them restrict flight zones. And as noted, full size hobby airplanes operate with the D.C. flight zone.

I'm aware of one AMA authorized hobby flight area less than 4 miles from KLGB, that's been there for years, where the new versions of the DJIs can't fly. Leave responsibility to an individual. If someone is not going to be responsible, they'll find a way regardless of regulation.

Cheers,

That was poor response, do you work for DJI?
Poor response? I empathized with the OP, suggested he keep his new toy and just fly it elsewhere and lastly, I politely stated my opinions on the subject of the NFZ restrictions... Pretty sure that while I may not be agreeing with his stance, my response was perfectly cordial and in adherence with the forums ToS. And no, I don't work for DJI, not sure where in my post I inferred that.

Poor response? I empathized with the OP, suggested he keep his new toy and just fly it elsewhere and lastly, I politely stated my opinions on the subject of the NFZ restrictions... Pretty sure that while I may not be agreeing with his stance, my response was perfectly cordial and in adherence with the forums ToS. And no, I don't work for DJI, not sure where in my post I inferred that.

You said the right thing... some people.. sheesh!

And in Russia they are incinerating imported food while the population is starving. I'll take not flying my drone were I'm not allowed to for the safety of the public.

For heaven's sake you have so many other drones that would be better to fly in a controlled air space. And jfyi the flying clubs around here hate drones coming to their field.

And this thread has nothing productive other than complaining. Sour from the first post.

Lol edit...

Hahaha I don't know but maybe even the virtual software for the p3 won't let him fly! That would be a kicker...:)

Who is starving in the Russia??? Brainwashed victim of propaganda!
Russia has opened it's market for new players enjoying food from all over the world.
The sanctions ruined the western business and made happy other suppliers with better
quality and healthier food in general.
Who is suffering here is clear when you see in the news tonnes of vegetables thrown
on the roads in the European capitals.

Ask Russians do not listen that ...bent media ...

Sorry,i'm out of topic,but you should know what you talking about before posting

Who is starving in the Russia??? Brainwashed victim of propaganda!
Russia has opened it's market for new players enjoying food from all over the world.
The sanctions ruined the western business and made happy other suppliers with better
quality and healthier food in general.
Who is suffering here is clear when you see in the news tonnes of vegetables thrown
on the roads in the European capitals.

Ask Russians do not listen that ...bent media ...

Sorry,i'm out of topic,but you should know what you talking about before posting

The news....
Photos
Propaganda we don't have to live with that word, but if your propaganda is correct I retract, and say have a fantastic day.

Thx,
Yep, lots of misinformation...you can't just rely on a single publication and quote it's lack of mention of something as the entirety of their regulations. Just because something isn't mentioned in one place, does not mean it isn't mentioned elsewhere. At least in regards to DC...they are very clear in many publications. In fact in regards to TFRs (temporary flight restrictions) the FAA has a well established mechanism for reporting flight restrictions. It may not be the easiest to read but they do publish regularly interpretations of at least this area. You can read the whole DC TFR here:
http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_8326.html#areas

And one example of media, public releases here:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/no_drone_zone/dc/

Of particular note in the DC TFR:

Effective Date(s):
From December 01, 2010 at 0401 UTC
To Permanent

Airspace Definition:
Center: WASHINGTON VOR/DME(DCA) (Latitude: 38º51'34"N, Longitude: 77º02'11"W)
Radius: 30 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not including 18000 feet MSL

THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT MAY PURSUE CRIMINAL CHARGES, INCLUDING CHARGES UNDER TITLE 49 OF THE UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 46307;

And specifically mentioning UAS and Model Aircraft:
THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE DC FRZ: FLIGHT TRAINING, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRA LIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, TETHERED BALLOONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE TEST FLIGHTS, MODEL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS, MODEL ROCKETRY, FLOAT PLANE OPERATIONS, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS) AND AIRCRAFT/HELICOPTERS OPERATING FROM A SHIP OR PRIVATE/CORPORATE YACHT.

And in regards to their authority to limit model aircraft in certain situations....the law (FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, sec 336) that lays out the guidelines in allowing model aircraft also explicitly establishes their authority in making limits in regards to the safety of the National Air Space:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439827236.491067.jpg

Full text here (you can skip to sec 336): https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr658/text

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20