DJI gained a customer and lost a customer in 3 days

I want people to understand I know there is a need for no fly zones near airports and military installations. I am just mad that the one in DC is massive. I am 12.67 miles outside DC. No one else thinks it's a little bit ridiculous how big it is ?

The government probably made sure the no fly zone was large enough that drones would not have enough range to reach the White House with weapons

Yeup it was mentioned in an article in the UK that there was effectively a blanket ban over the entire of Washington DC - does seem a security measure but yeah that would suck if I lived there and had to travel out all the time just to get some practice in

I want people to understand I know there is a need for no fly zones near airports and military installations. I am just mad that the one in DC is massive. I am 12.67 miles outside DC. No one else thinks it's a little bit ridiculous how big it is ?
image.jpg

Like others have replied, a bit of research would have saved your frustration. Many airports are not included in the DJI no fly zones, BTW.

With all due respect, DJI is looking at FAA no-fly zones and quite frankly, 40mi is nothing for a jet, prop plane or heli. Those no-fly zones are there for a reason. Now, there isn't anything out there differentiating drone no-fly zones and aircraft no-fly zones so we are all lumped together. It sucks but I wouldn't complain about it. We all know what the deal is. Complaining doesn't get you anywhere.

Biting my tongue..........

But I will say this....DC is foreign and enemy territory to many.

Last edited:
Reactions: David777
DJI wants you as a customer but they also want to be able to trade internationally under a reasonable set of standards.
Just as folks in Manhattan high rises aren't good chain saw customers, those in the biggest center of military and government aren't good drone prospects.

I'm not sure if the zone pertains to toys quads - anyone know what the line is? I can't imagine that you aren't allowed to fly a micro drone???

If you still wanna fly you can change your P flight mode (GPS) to A mode (Atti no GPS) and you can fly on your own risk

Dont blame on DJI not they fault, but your government because made a really big rules for No Fly Zones

If I remember correctly, DJI didn't enable the no fly zones until one of their birds landed on the White House lawn. So it was either that or greatly accelerate the illegalization of consumer drones.

I looked and it seems to be the biggest one.

What difference does it make if you happen to live in the biggest one (capitol of the USA) or the smallest no fly zone. You failed to do the research before you bought. At least you did not crash on your first flight attempt. You now have the option to sell a never flown P3.

And in Russia they are incinerating imported food while the population is starving. I'll take not flying my drone were I'm not allowed to for the safety of the public.

For heaven's sake you have so many other drones that would be better to fly in a controlled air space. And jfyi the flying clubs around here hate drones coming to their field.

And this thread has nothing productive other than complaining. Sour from the first post.

Lol edit...

Hahaha I don't know but maybe even the virtual software for the p3 won't let him fly! That would be a kicker...:)

Last edited:
Smh.. People keep saying you didn't do your research. I researched the drone, the cost, the reviews and lots of other stuff over a couple of days. I was buying somthing to play with as a hobby not a $400k house or a $70k car. I didn't see the need to do a enormous amounts of research. Sorry it never crossed my mine to look up FAA regulations on no fly zones for "full size aircraft". I am new to the hobby and you guys act like this knowledge should have been automatic. I did not think there would be a giant ******* dome over 700sq miles in size where I live.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Smh.. People keep saying you didn't do your research. I researched the drone, the cost, the reviews and lots of other stuff over a couple of days. I was buying somthing to play with as a hobby not a $400k house or a $70k car. I didn't see the need to do a enormous amounts of research. Sorry it never crossed my mine to look up FAA regulations on no fly zones for "full size aircraft". I am new to the hobby and you guys act like this knowledge should have been automatic. I did not think there would be a giant ******* dome over 700sq miles in size where I live.

You may have researched the Phantom but you didn't research the hobby enough. Buying a Phantom as your first and only R/C quadcopter is akin to buying a small private jet if you want to learn how to be a pilot - or a Red video camera if you want to make YT vids.

In general most experts suggest flying for many hours (months or even a year) using toy quadcopter and then working your way up. In the process of learning the hobby you would definitely have come across the no-fly zones and much more.

It's not a hobby if you start at the top. Not trying to be a critic but I think a lot of the fun is in the education and honing your skills and knowledge. This is true of just about any hobby or sport.

In one sense it's a testimony to how far the Phantoms have come -18 monhs ago no one would have ever thought to just research and buy an advanced model such as this - because they didn't exist.

Reactions: bobmyers
I have 2 fully charged batteries from this morning. The soonest I can fly is monday evening. Any creative ways to safetly discharge the batteries or should I not worry about it ?

I have 2 fully charged batteries from this morning. The soonest I can fly is monday evening. Any creative ways to safetly discharge the batteries or should I not worry about it ?
Don't worry about it-- Top them off on Monday if they have lost charge.

And in Russia they are incinerating imported food while the population is starving. I'll take not flying my drone were I'm not allowed to for the safety of the public.

For heaven's sake you have so many other drones that would be better to fly in a controlled air space. And jfyi the flying clubs around here hate drones coming to their field.

And this thread has nothing productive other than complaining. Sour from the first post.

Lol edit...

Hahaha I don't know but maybe even the virtual software for the p3 won't let him fly! That would be a kicker...:)
Since my last post was deleted for rule violation I will try again. I am gathering useful information that makes it a productive thread. You sir are purposley being mean. God job !!!

Reactions: 3pa4ok
You can go into the pilot app and change the settings on your battery to auto discharge after one day it will auto discharge to 68%

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj