DJI FPV HUB AVL58 iOSD INSTALL PICTURES

Reaction score
I installed the gimbal with the AVL58, iOSD Mini, using the new FPV Hub. here are the pictures. I followed DJI's advice to place the AVL as far from the compass as possible. The Hub makes it possible to keep things neat and no soldering.

Attachments

• IMG_0583-1.jpg
    IMG_0583-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 3,725
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 3,835
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 3,936
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 4,007
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 3,618
I have the hub on order. I'll be using it with the Immersn transmitter.

What is the power source for the hub. The only cable that looks like it goes back to the ship is through the Zenmuse. Is that where the hub is getting its power?

Actually, Guess what???? After going through all the trouble of installing the FPV using the DJI Hub, yesterday I took it all apart and installed everything inside (except the AVL58) without using the Hub. The installation is so much cleaner with no wires or other hardware outside (except the AVL58). Only two wires outside. The black wire to the AVL58 and the flat ribbon to the gimbal. It looks so much cleaner and there was plenty of room for everything inside.

Now I am happy.

Danno said:
I have the hub on order. I'll be using it with the Immersn transmitter.

What is the power source for the hub. The only cable that looks like it goes back to the ship is through the Zenmuse. Is that where the hub is getting its power?

Behind the ribbon cable for the gimbal, there is a four-wire cable coming from inside the Phantom 2. If you don't use the Hub, this is the cable that you use to take power, and also to connect to Vtx. See my other post. decided to remove the Hub and installed everything inside except the Vtx. Looks much cleaner without all the interconnecting cables from the Hub.

I originally did the install without the hub, but one of the FPV resistors blew (sparks and all) the first time I applied power. This is a problem DJI acknowledges and from what I've read, might be the reason they came out with the hub. I'm hoping the hub will alleviate the need for that resistor because I have no FPV capability with it blown. Still flies fine though.

FASTFJR said:
What did you use to attach the components? Velcro?

I used 3M double-sided tape. The iOsd Mini is installed right next to the FC, and the can bus is in empty space on the inside.

Danno said:
I originally did the install without the hub, but one of the FPV resistors blew (sparks and all) the first time I applied power. This is a problem DJI acknowledges and from what I've read, might be the reason they came out with the hub. I'm hoping the hub will alleviate the need for that resistor because I have no FPV capability with it blown. Still flies fine though.

From what I read, some people had problems with damaging the FPV by reversing the wires. Where did you see an acknowledgement from DJI that they had a problem? The Hub is a great concept, if they would have made the ribbon cables longer to be able to put the Hub inside (there is plenty of room). When I redid mine removing the Hub, it was a fast and easy process, soldering the six wires with room to spare inside.

rmklaw said:
FASTFJR said:
What did you use to attach the components? Velcro?

I used 3M double-sided tape. The iOsd Mini is installed right next to the FC, and the can bus is in empty space on the inside.

I thought you said you didn't use the hub for install on the inside?

I really want to use the hub, but i don't want it on the outside. ...

Hey guys I did this mod over the weekend on a Phantom 2 Vision. No iosd yet. So zenmuse gimbal to gopro 3+ black? FPV Hub on the bottom connecting the AVL58. I have the everything on the bottom with double sided tape. I have the AVL58 pointed with the antenna out the back so it is pointed down under the battery.

So....... Everything works perfect until I fly. When I am at approx 50ft up or away in any direction. I seem to lose contact with the flight transmitter, so light go yellow and fail safe initiated.

I can repeat this perfectly every time. If I simply unplug the AVL58 from the hub, I resolve the issue.

So my thought is that I am interfering with the receiver or maybe draining power from the receiver somehow.

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Craig

CraigInDallas said:
Hey guys I did this mod over the weekend on a Phantom 2 Vision. No iosd yet. So zenmuse gimbal to gopro 3+ black? FPV Hub on the bottom connecting the AVL58. I have the everything on the bottom with double sided tape. I have the AVL58 pointed with the antenna out the back so it is pointed down under the battery.

So....... Everything works perfect until I fly. When I am at approx 50ft up or away in any direction. I seem to lose contact with the flight transmitter, so light go yellow and fail safe initiated.

I can repeat this perfectly every time. If I simply unplug the AVL58 from the hub, I resolve the issue.

So my thought is that I am interfering with the receiver or maybe draining power from the receiver somehow.

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Craig

You put the AVL58 on a Phantom 2 Vision? If so then the issue is that your FPV signal is obliterating the 5.8GHz control signal from the ground, once you get that far away.

The P2V uses 5.8GHz for the control signal just like the AVL58 and other common FPV transmitters use for the video signal, unlike the P1 and non-vision P2 which use 2.4GHz.

If you're going to keep the P2V, then you'll need to use a 2.4GHz or 1.2GHz FPV Tx/Rx setup (or any of the other non-5.8GHz bands)

OI Photography said:
You put the AVL58 on a Phantom 2 Vision? If so then the issue is that your FPV signal is obliterating the 5.8GHz control signal from the ground, once you get that far away.

The P2V uses 5.8GHz for the control signal just like the AVL58 and other common FPV transmitters use for the video signal, unlike the P1 and non-vision P2 which use 2.4GHz.

If you're going to keep the P2V, then you'll need to use a 2.4GHz or 1.2GHz FPV Tx/Rx setup (or any of the other non-5.8GHz bands)

I bought the pv2 and as awesome as it is, the unstable footage just take too much time to stabilize. Trying to minimize cost, and much of a loss on the PV2, I started hacking it together. Obviously having no idea that the primary radio was on the same freq.

So now I after your insight, I am back to a decision to put it back to a stock p2v and put it on Craigslist and get the P2, or maybe installing a spectrum tx/rx (I have one from a sail plane I'm not flying) I want to keep the fpv on 5.8 because I have my fpv gear (goggles etc) on 5.8.

I am leaning towards the getting a P2, so I don't have to hack a cambus port for the iOSD.

More thoughts?

OI Photography said:
In your position I'd go ahead and move to the non-vision P2, the P2V seems to just be too unfriendly to those who want to upgrade (as you've already run in to).

~ sigh

What a learning journey huh? Lol

Thank you for you quick reply...

Craig

CraigInDallas said:
OI Photography said:
In your position I'd go ahead and move to the non-vision P2, the P2V seems to just be too unfriendly to those who want to upgrade (as you've already run in to).

~ sigh

What a learning journey huh? Lol

Thank you for you quick reply...

Craig

Always glad to help!

Remember, if all this wasn't a learning experience, it would get real boring real fast ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20