DJI Flyaway/Crash Service - Pleasantly Surprised

Reaction score
Some might remember that I have had 2 flyaways. (P2) One total loss, (Hit RTH, never saw it again) and one flyaway crash which was recovered due to Trackimo. After the 2nd flyaway, I called DJI and after sharing my story and giving proof of purchase etc. they authorized me to send it in to CA for repair and IF it was a warranty issue, might fix it for free. I wasn't hopeful but sent in all pertaining paperwork. After 2 months, I finally get an email from DJI today:

D. S. (DJI Technology )

Jun 11, 15:03

Dear _______________,

Upon inspection of your Phantom we found the compass and video transmitter were damaged and have been repaired. The gimbal was found to be imbalanced with a bent pitch servo. The components for the gimbal have been replaced and your Phantom has been updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.

Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any other questions, please contact our support center at 818-235-0789 M-F 9AM-5PM Pacific Time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America

Really surprised but pleasantly satisfied that they repaired my P2 under warranty service. Interesting thing is, the P2 doesn't have a video transmitter that I'm aware of, does it? I was really hoping that due to my total loss and this crash that DJI was going to offer me a major discount on the P3P, but since I knew it was going to take a while, I just went ahead and bought a P3P on my own. Won't be keeping the P2 as I will sell it with the backpack now that it is factory serviced and is basically a refurb unit! It does make me feel a lot better about DJI and the P3P that I am quite happily flying now! Maybe they aren't as cold hearted as some say they are? I'm sure there are other stories the opposite of mine as well, but I'm a happy flyer!

Reactions: loganboyd
If you had actually sat for the 60 days they had your quad, and known of other getting their quads fixed that sent them after you did,....you might have a much different feeling. 2 months is pitiful and a shame that anyone has to wait that long.

Now...the best part of this story is that you now own a P3 which is so so much better and a product that you may actually be able to never need to rely on the Tech Support.

You asked if you had a video transmitter. What exactly is the model you sent them?
Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, Phantom 2 Vision Plus, Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3.

All though the wait seemed long, that's quite normal for DJI, so you have been well served. It's good to read these threads which reveal the true spirit of the company.
Why Yes, there have been a number of problematic Phantom's.
Ah, but DJI have already sold literally thousands of these quad copters, & are continuing to. No, those numbers are not reflected in the faulty ones that were flyaways or ones that nose dived into the earth. Seems to me some of those crashes were actually preventable. By getting more flying practice time, on smaller quad copters and by reading the Phantom 3 manuals much more thoroughly. There are just too many parameters and adjustments which can be programmed into these birds, not to take the learning curve, more seriously. Practice-practice and practice much more.

Glad to see you happy and enjoying your investment.
Keep it up... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, DJI gets a bad rap for their customer service. They replace everything and considering the meteoric rise in the last year of their company, they are doing a decent at least job growing with it.

Plus, they will always go down as the company that brought consumers into the pro world of drones. For better or worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.