DJI Fixed Camera Mount

Reaction score
I know the majority of folks with GoPros are using gimbals, but given that I don't have any solid prospects for true aerial photography, I sprung the whopping $12 on the DJI Camera Mounting Bracket for the Phantom 2. Also, the hobby here is flying the Phantom and not photography, so I figured dropping several hundred on a gimbal just didn't make sense for me right now. Additionally, I want to wait until the dust settles with everything else going on at the moment.

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails. ... art-7-P2MB

Anybody else have this?

I also finally sprung for a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition on Amazon - should be here on Friday, along with the camera mount, so I am hoping to get my first aerial shots with my P2 this weekend, weather permitting.

Just curious if anybody has had luck with the mount and what their thoughts are, and if there is anything I need to know before it arrives on Friday.

Thanks!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Keep your cam in the dive housing until you get use to flying .
GL !

750r said:
Keep your cam in the dive housing until you get use to flying .
GL !

Thanks for the tip! I've got over 20 flights with the Phantom itself in both GPS and ATTI so I am quite comfortable there, but I will definitely go on one flight with the camera without recording or anything just to get a feel for it.

Looking forward to using ATTI mode with the winds to get some neat shots. Also, after talking with Shrimpfarmer on another forum, I plan on messing with the horizon and trying to get some neat "horizon banking" shots.

Should be a blast!

Thanks again,

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Well guys, took her out for the maiden voyage with the DJI Fixed Camera Mount and my new GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition.

Overall impression/feeling - awesome. For $20 I was able to mount a GoPro to the Phantom and get 1080p video. I can't complain.

Is the video quality the same as the video quality you'd see with a gimbal, of course not, but honestly, for what I want to do, I think it's going to be perfect. The biggest issue is just the vibration that the Phantom causes, which messes with the overall video quality. Going to see if I can't pick up some dense rubber washers for the mount to help with that. I wish they made a similar mount like they do for some other units that would do this for me.

Currently, GoPro Studio has my quad core i7 ThinkPad maxed out converting the two clips of each flight. Hoping to at least get the raw version up to YouTube for you guys to see. Then I can post the ones after some editing and then another set of vids after I do some dampening.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Need some opinions...

Based on the vibrations observed by watching the landing gear in this shot, do you guys think I should look into maybe adding a layer of felt or dense foam rubber between the mount and Phantom, or is this video quality pretty good for a fixed mount? I'm hypersensitive to it so I'm looking for some unbiased opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ehTgcUMVI

This video is unedited with the exception of using GoPro Studio's ProTune "effect" on it. No stabilization was done in post whatsoever. Posted in 1080p @ 60fps and 12Mbps bitrate.

Thanks for watching!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Also, I think the next thing on my list is an ND filter. Hoping that may help with these early morning, bright flights.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik