DJI files lawsuit against Yuneec over Typhoon H

This action by dji makes me think the H must be worth buying.

Well, you know, if the Yuneec H makes dji feel threatened enough to take this kind of desperate action.

Its just good advertising for yuneec

Reactions: PROJEFFREY11
Patents exist for a reason. They are expensive to file.
So you've developed proprietary and intellectual property, registered it, and now should not defend what you believe may be a trespass?
Desperate you say?

Reactions: Ramphex
So you've developed proprietary and intellectual property, registered it, and now should not defend what you believe may be a trespass?
Desperate you say?
How can you defend something(technology) that is already out and patented buy dozens of people/firm, i.e Vertigo, Follow Track to name a few. Why defend something that you do not own? The removable camera gimbal on the H is nothing like the one on DJI Inspire, I know I have seen both and they are nothing alike. Defend DJI if you please, but I have a right to search the market and purchase the items I choose, and to have DJI file a frivolous lawsuit for a patent that is not being violated is wrong, just to try and delay Yuneec's sales, never happen!

Im not defending or characterizing DJIs actions nor am I suggesting you can not spend your money any way you want.
The fact you derive such from my questioning a claim of desperation because of an IP suit is confusing to me.
I don't believe you have any specific technical knowledge of the suits claims and have any basis for desperation or frivolity.

Desperate you say?

I believe DJI even has a patent on stress cracks for the Phantom 3 range of drones. :) Just trying to add some humor to the thread.

The Chinese honor patents now do they ?

Bit hypocritical of them I think.

By "desperate" I mean :

Oh my goodness, this yuneec H is a very good quad, and real threat to our p4 sales........I know.... we will sue, that will stop them selling for a while untill we release the p4p......

Like I said, great for yuneec, makes me want to go check out the yH. LOL

Im not defending or characterizing DJIs actions nor am I suggesting you can not spend your money any way you want.
The fact you derive such from my questioning a claim of desperation because of an IP suit is confusing to me.
I don't believe you have any specific technical knowledge of the suits claims and have any basis for desperation or frivolity.
Definite Lawyer and psychic to boot!, Whether or not is not the facts, you use the definitive statement "desperate" maybe the are, maybe they are not, but the forum member has a right to his statement, as you did to question it, and ME to respond!

Please pay attention.
I did not categorize DJI as desperate nor did I describe their lawsuit as frivolous.
I questioned the justification of those terms.
Lastly, when did I question the right to post opinions?
Please pay attention.

The truth is that the new Yuneec is as cool as Inspire at Phantom price.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't understand why people are upset about this lawsuit. Large companies sue each other all the time for patent infringement. Patents are very important especially in the technology world. Anyone can build something, I mean now days you can 3D print almost anything allowing people to produce products even easier than ever but the unique innovations and ideas are what has to be protected and respected.

If we allow for patent infringement without strict enforcement then there will be 100s of same product clones everywhere ultimately not only faking people into buying products that are not genuine but also affecting the people/companies who originally invented the item and/or came up with the idea.

I don't foresee this anyhow affecting us, consumer users.

Reactions: WetDog
It affects us consumers because it slows the advancement of technology, it raises the prices of existing and future drones because fighting in the courts is costly to a company & costs are passed onto consumers. Smaller startup drone companies soon become non-existent, Choices become less.

I wonder why that hasn't happened in the smart phone market.... There have been plenty of lawsuits by Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, Google... and the list goes on.

Have the smaller companies stopped making cell phones? Negative. They learn from the lawsuits and are then forced to innovate their own ideas and come up with more creative things to overcome the competitors instead of replicating the products to make a quick buck.

Please refrain from making uneducated statements based on your opinions without any source of back up with unrealistic and borderline retarded statements.

Smartphone patent wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the reference.

I wonder why that hasn't happened in the smart phone market.... There have been plenty of lawsuits by Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, Google... and the list goes on.

Have the smaller companies stopped making cell phones? Negative. They learn from the lawsuits and are then forced to innovate their own ideas and come up with more creative things to overcome the competitors instead of replicating the products to make a quick buck.

Please refrain from making uneducated statements based on your opinions without any source of back up with unrealistic and borderline retarded statements.

Smartphone patent wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the reference.
The only reason smaller company is still making smart phone is twofold

1 Google is backing up all android phone maker with their own stack of patent(why do you think they purchase Motorola)

2 phone such as xiaomi make and sell their phone in market like China and India where their court system couldn't give a rat *** about what Apple think or feel

List of mobile phone makers by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's plenty of cellphone manufacturers regardless of whether a bigger company is backing them or not.

If you can't come up with your own unique product and want to make profit by replicating someone else's products then what good of a company are you anyway? Patents are expensive and take a while to file and be approved. It is only fair to respect one company's patents since they were the first one to come up with it and to file it.

How would you feel if you innovated something awesome and some other company who already had equipment to mass product it stole your idea right underneath from you and made millions of dollars while you sat home with your thumb in your butt because without that patent you wouldn't be able to prove that you came up with anything.

As I previously mentioned, not only does this protects company's innovations but also forces other companies to come up with their own better, unique, creative things therefore actually pushing the technological world forward.

In the perfect world. Yes.
But it is a well known fact proven and back by history that company use bs patent and threat of lawsuit to protect their product all the time.

To add to everything, just because one company patents something, doesn't mean another company can't get permission to use their patent.

If the lawsuit is BS, it'll fall onto it's face and the life goes on. Either way, there's nothing we can do about it. Plenty of people sue each other on daily basis on lots of things other than patents, whether they have valid points or if they're being completely ridiculous.

It's just a shame cause it means that yuneec will most likely have to postpone the realease of the H.
That means we have to wait longer for realtime reviews to see if its time to dump dji.

Imo, dji knows there is no basis for a proper case, but knows these things take a long time to put through the courts so is just buying time or trying to stop its realease altogether. If the latter is true they are scared of what the H will do to the p4 sales.

I can see why DJI is not too thrilled with Yuneec and the Typhoon H. The video below was taken at a drone show in Ireland. It's a very amateur video with the camera going out of focus often, but it has the most recent images of the production version of the Typhoon H that people will be buying later this month. I used to think the Typhoon H was in competition with the Phantom 4, but I now believe it's in competition with the Inspire. Obviously the Inspire is a more polished craft, but this is a nice alternative due to it's size when folded up and price.

Some things that are a bit eye catching and noteworthy are the following:

JUMP TO 3:33 of the video to see the controller.
- The RC Controller. It bit large, but given that most features of the drone are handled by hard switches vice having to go in the software, is a really nice touch. Also the fact that you're esessentially getting a 7" fully operational Android tablet for a cost less than a Phantom 4.

JUMP TO 6:36 of the video to see the camera
- Removable Camera. Now this is sweet. The camera slides on and off with one button. This is part of what DJI is suing Yuneec over.

Finally, the Typhoon H can be operated by two people, just like the Inspire can.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1