DJI F550 Batteries

OI Photography said:
Next is to link it to your home automation system...right?

In a way it's already there. The smartphone controls the alarm, cameras, thermostat and lights in my house, in addition to the BTU on the NAZA :) All I need now is the datalink + GS and a takeoff timer :)

ladykate said:
Very cool. How is the control with that design?

The Y6 is amazingly stable. Granted, I've never had another hex to compare it to, but it's incredibly responsive, steady in wind, and descends at full speed completely flat, with very little wobble. I haven't tested it with camera gear yet, but I've almost forgotten how fun it is to fly an unladen multi around!

FangsCPO said:
Wow! That really sucks. I'm curious how much flying time did you expect to get out of a 4S 5000 mAh Lipo? I know you mentioned that you didn't check to see if your batteries were fully charged but I'm just curious on the expected flying time for the battery you were using.

I know for my Storm 3S 5500 mAh 35C, I get 9 minutes and my Onyx 3S 6400 35C, I get 11:30 minutes. Once I hit 9 minutes or 11:30 minutes respectively, I get the first red light warning.

Well before I received the BEC, I got just about 11 mins and 45 secs. After the BEC was added I connected it, the FPV Transmitter & the Gimbal.

Accupro said:
JTheed said:
I decided to try a 4S Battery on my F550, so I picked up 2 of the MAD DOG 5000mAh 14.8V 35C batteries from 2dogrc. I haven't received my BEC yet, so I only flew it with the dji PMU and Mini iOSD connected. The Gimbal was attached but no camera was installed. I got 11 mins and 45 secs of flight time before 1st warning. When I get the BET installed, I'll connect everything and retest.
I also ordered the E300 propulsion kit and that will be here Thursday the 6th according to UPS Tracking. I want to install the BET first and run it with the original motors and everything else connected to see what times I get and then I will install the E300 system to see if it improves.

So whatever happened with the E300 setup? In reading the DJI intro for the E300 it sounded like the cats meow and would seem to have affected flight time in a very good way, was just wondering what happened?

I posted about it just a few minutes ago, but long story short, after installing all, checking NAZA with software, one of them started smoking on Motor Initiate, so I have had to return one of the E300 ESC's for replacement. Waiting for replacement now.

I posted about it just a few minutes ago, but long story short, after installing all, checking NAZA with software, one of them started smoking on Motor Initiate, so I have had to return one of the E300 ESC's for replacement. Waiting for replacement now.

FWIW many assembly instructions recommend hooking things up one at a time before mounting them. Do an escape and motor check off aircraft. Saves a bit of work if you find a bad one.

ladykate said:

FWIW many assembly instructions recommend hooking things up one at a time before mounting them. Do an escape and motor check off aircraft. Saves a bit of work if you find a bad one.

Instructions??? There were instructions?!? LOL

That is the thing about the RC world that bothers me the most, lack of instructions. It reminds me of the LINUX World back around the Windows 95/98 time frame. If you didn't know how to install it or use it, you had to hire someone to do it. For example, the E300 System they say to be SURE to use the Correct Screws for mounting the motors, but they don't label the screws in the container. You have to measure them to be sure which are which. Also, no + and - signs on the ESC's. They tell you the DOT in the center of the motor shaft means it's counter clockwise thread but don't tell you to swap the wires to reverse the rotation of the prop. I'm NEW to the RC world, just got started in it in December of 2013 and have 3 Multi-Rotor Copters. I tend to PLUNGE HARD when I get interested in something.
Thank ALL of you for your help and time do give such help, it is REALLY APPRECIATED.

JTheed said:
ladykate said:

Instructions??? There were instructions?!? LOL

That is the thing about the RC world that bothers me the most, lack of instructions. It reminds me of the LINUX World back around the Windows 95/98 time frame. If you didn't know how to install it or use it, you had to hire someone to do it.

Heh... written instructions are mostly terrible. The instructions of yesterday have been replaced by YouTube today. When you check out how to assemble a new NAZA, A2, WKM or other system on YouTube, you will see the authors who seem the most competent layout the whole thing on a table, get the controller running and bound to the radio, and check each leg separately/independently. In the other thread about the 550 that burst into flames on startup, I wonder if that step would have saved him (assuming he didn't do that step before putting the whole thing together).

Yep, you pretty much have to go with 3rd party tutorial vids for build instructions. Swapping 2 if the 3 the motor wires to change Spin direction is something EVERYONE doing their own builds knows, but you gotta find that out on your own. Even Linux had Man, this hobby is all community-knowledge, oral tradition and YouTube walkthroughs. Still, there's something kind of raw and appealing about it.

ElGuano said:
Yep, you pretty much have to go with 3rd party tutorial vids for build instructions. Swapping 2 if the 3 the motor wires to change Spin direction is something EVERYONE doing their own builds knows, but you gotta find that out on your own. Even Linux had Man, this hobby is all community-knowledge, oral tradition and YouTube walkthroughs. Still, there's something kind of raw and appealing about it.

Over time I have figured that out. It's just that I am spoiled by the Company that I work for. We are a manufacturer and we go out of our way to make sure that our installation instructions make it so easy to install our products that a novice can do it without asking anyone for any help and we are glad to answer any questions if you still have any. Someone from our staff can be reached 24 hours a day 7 days a week as well.

It's useless energy. LOL!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
It's useless energy. LOL!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's not far off though, it can peak up to almost 37A output...I'd bet a lot of lighter 550's barely draw that usually. I still wouldn't want to try it though.

The 765g weight is incredible though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.