Dji extra warranty worth it?

Reaction score
I had a Dji 3 standard. It crapped out 10 days after getting it. Battery says zero when it's full. Returned it. I just bought a phantom 4 last night and see if have 48 hours to buy the extra dji warrenty. Is it good. Do they honor it well. Anything I should know before I spent the extra 200.. any help is good help. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can learn more about DJI Care here on DJI's website. Or, check out these search results to see what people are saying about it.

I had a Dji 3 standard. It crapped out 10 days after getting it. Battery says zero when it's full. Returned it. I just bought a phantom 4 last night and see if have 48 hours to buy the extra dji warrenty. Is it good. Do they honor it well. Anything I should know before I spent the extra 200.. any help is good help. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app
The reason DJI offers the extended warranty is because they make money off it. The overwhelming majority of people who have the extended warranty never use it. The numbers say that the extended warranty isn't worth it.

Reactions: CThruU
The reason DJI offers the extended warranty is because they make money off it. The overwhelming majority of people who have the extended warranty never use it. The numbers say that the extended warranty isn't worth it.
I honestly never buy insurance/extended warrantees on anything that I don't have to. Stuff tends malfunction within normal warrantee or last long enough that I get my monies worth. The very few times I've got conned into something is generally worthless. Example was smart phone insurance, turns out it had a deductible (I was unaware of) that was more than the cost to fix the screen I broke. Another example was a DSLR lens that got buggered up in a sand storm, not covered.

Reactions: CThruU
Try searching nearby aerial media. Don't know if it's better or not? just an option. I am a newbie and that is who I am gonna go with. Reviews of his service are good on here.

The refresh policy is more likely to be useful than an extended warranty, IMO. Covers you crashing the drone, but does not cover water damage.

This is close, but not the correct way to look at the matter. You are looking at odds, not peace of mind against $200. The correct way to view the situation is, is it worth $200 to know you don't need to pay $700 (or lose $1500) if you crash.

If someone wants to know if it's worth it.... it is if you crash, it's not if you don't.

Reactions: dougsteph
This is close, but not the correct way to look at the matter. You are looking at odds, not peace of mind against $200. The correct way to view the situation is, is it worth $200 to know you don't need to pay $700 (or lose $1500) if you crash.

If someone wants to know if it's worth it.... it is if you crash, it's not if you don't.
You sell insurance, don't you?;)

Reactions: jburke90

I respectfully disagree.

I've been in the electronics manufacturing industry for most of my life. The expected lifetime of an electronic/electromechanical product is often defined by the "bathtub curve", as shown below...

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

Units that fail upon initial power up (and shortly after) are victims of "infant mortality", as time moves forward, there are fewer and fewer infant mortality failures. As time progresses the device operates in a time frame where random failure seldom occurs. In most cases this interval is measured in years. After that long interval, more failures start happening. This happens at the end of life for the product. The products wear out.This applies to the product itself, and to each and every resistor, capacitor, active electronic device, motor, sensor, nut, screw, solder connection, everything that makes the product work. While DJI may not do accelerated lifetime testing of their product, the manufacturers of the components and sub assemblies probably do. It's sometimes referred to as HALT testing:

Highly accelerated life test - Wikipedia

If a product works properly for just long enough to have it move past the interval of infant mortality, the product should work fine for it's expected service lifetime. A responsible manufacturer will warranty their product to cover the interval of infant mortality, and slightly beyond it.

The bathtub curve nicely explains why an extended warranty is a cash-cow for the manufacturer of the product. There is real science behind it. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: jburke90 and CThruU
You sell insurance, don't you?;)

No.. but I do work in insurance (property and casualty adjuster). So your theory is correct. :)

I do get the view that insurance is not worth is unless it pays more than you pay in. No business model is set up that way. When you buy something you always get less then it's actual cost to produce. Insurance is different in that is _may_ pay much more than you pay in. That is why the cost is greater. But it's not designed to be a dollar for dollar service. It was invented thousands of years ago to allow businesses to conduct their business without the threat that their actions of making money would not put them out of business. Same with this warranty (though, technically it's a warranty and not insurance)... it allows people to fly their drones in such a way as they don't need to worry about losing their drone. There have been many times when I just can't get those great shots as I need to worry about crashing the drone. Having the warranty would remove that problem and fear.

The bathtub curve nicely explains why an extended warranty is a cash-cow for the manufacturer of the product. There is real science behind it. Cheers

These things are not related. You are referring to the life expectancy and failure rate of something. When it comes to a drone there are added risks... such as crashing into a wall, the ground, a mountain, etc. Or even some type of minor failure turning into a larger one simply because the drone was in the air at the time. Nothing you mentioned accounts for those risks. Also, it does not account for the additional risk facture the warranty allows the user. Such as, allowing them to get closer to objects or place the drone in riskier places to get better shots. Again, what you mention does not account at all for those benefits.

I respectfully disagree.

I've been in the electronics manufacturing industry for most of my life. The expected lifetime of an electronic/electromechanical product is often defined by the "bathtub curve", as shown below...

Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

Units that fail upon initial power up (and shortly after) are victims of "infant mortality", as time moves forward, there are fewer and fewer infant mortality failures. As time progresses the device operates in a time frame where random failure seldom occurs. In most cases this interval is measured in years. After that long interval, more failures start happening. This happens at the end of life for the product. The products wear out.This applies to the product itself, and to each and every resistor, capacitor, active electronic device, motor, sensor, nut, screw, solder connection, everything that makes the product work. While DJI may not do accelerated lifetime testing of their product, the manufacturers of the components and sub assemblies probably do. It's sometimes referred to as HALT testing:

Highly accelerated life test - Wikipedia

If a product works properly for just long enough to have it move past the interval of infant mortality, the product should work fine for it's expected service lifetime. A responsible manufacturer will warranty their product to cover the interval of infant mortality, and slightly beyond it.

Long way to say what I said LOL

Stuff tends malfunction within normal warrantee or last long enough that I get my monies worth.

There have been many times when I just can't get those great shots as I need to worry about crashing the drone. Having the warranty would remove that problem and fear.
Assuming you can get to the memory card ;)

BTW I insure my house because it's a massive cost to replace. I insure my health for the same reason. I insure my cars because of liability more than anything and I have to. A $1000 drone, TV, computer etc. not so much because I can afford to replace them and not rob the retirement fund ;)

I have. A brand new bird out of box ESC error on motors DJI ain't doing ****. On it another 600 bucks to fix, boght a couple youngest typhoons. No problem at all.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

DJI don't communicate well or totally ignore you that was my experience, over two months to reply, nor understood what Inwas saying when they did reply...better to deal with a local dealer

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic