DJI DropSafe parachute system

Interesting....wonder if it is entirely pilot-deployed and if not what conditions trigger it by autopilot?

Not much use to us Phantomers. Weighs in at 550g and not naza compatable. Interesting I suppose. Im sure its pricey too.

Re: DJI DropSafe parachute system

Well, I won't be getting one. It's an interesting solution but I just don't see a use case where it would actually save my rig.
I mean, if both batteries failed (or the FAS-100) then I'd seriously have to have my wits about me to think to flick the switch that deploys it before it hits the ground. If it's "intelligently" deployed, no way would I trust it. At 5.1m/s drop rate with the weight of my S800 EVO it's still going to destroy the landing gear and probably the camera and gimbal too.

38Special said:
Looks like a tree magnet.

+1 :D

The truly innovative idea would be to use a deployed balloon that rapidly fills with helium within 1 second.

That way when you push the panic button --- you watch your $1,000+ quad gently float back down to you at a max. rate of 0.5 m/sec.

A really super-duper mechanism would be a balloon that auto-calculates total weight of the craft and barometric pressure to regulate exactly how much helium to inject into the balloon.

:mrgreen:

Mad Mitchie 88 said:
The truly innovative idea would be to use a deployed balloon that rapidly fills with helium within 1 second.

That way when you push the panic button --- you watch your $1,000+ quad gently float back down to you at a max. rate of 0.5 m/sec.

A really super-duper mechanism would be a balloon that auto-calculates total weight of the craft and barometric pressure to regulate exactly how much helium to inject into the balloon.

What weight would the helium tank be to hold enough pressurized helium to accomplish this? Serriously, one of you math-wiz types figure this out. A party helium tank you can buy on amazon weight 7lbs. It fills 30 9" balloons. I doubt 30 balloons could lift more than a pound. So it seems as though the system wouldn't even be efficient enough to carry it's own weight, let alone the weight of the craft, gimbal and camera. Is it possible to store helium safely in something weighing less?

here's the helium tank:
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Helium-B ... elium+tank

Here is a video from this parachute system in action that was posted by imprimatur here (his topic got locked as it was a duplicate) : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20984

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPIvtut0LE[/youtube]

Mad Mitchie 88 said:

Over engineering much? Why bother with compressed gas and valves at all when a parachute will work just fine with less chance of mechanical failure? You've already got the draft from the unit's acceleration toward the earth to use to deploy the parachute...

Hmmm.... two things immediately leap out at me regarding that 'Demo' video.

1. You do not see it actually hit the deck (could be because at that speed the retracts are totally destroyed along with an arm or two making the whole thing completely useless)

2. Oh yes..... it's a one use item! Ohhh those DJI marketing gurus have been at it again... "Lets sell a 'peace of mind' product that doesn't really work but people will feel so much happier knowing they have one fitted. Oh and if it gets deployed we can sell those same stupid people another one !!

"Now, lets do some Tai Chi and :lol: all the way to the bank !!!"

OI Photography said:
Well at least it doesn't look totally ridiculous. Oh wait... :lol:

laughing-1038.gif

Plus, I would like to add: what happens if the multi is inverted and you have to deploy this parachute? I can't find an explanation to that, it seems to me totally stupid. You can find a better solution with a reusable parachute right now.

I think it needs to be bigger and heavier..

Interesting....wonder if it is entirely pilot-deployed and if not what conditions trigger it by autopilot?

Careful with the Mayday board. you have to make sure the set up and the calibration is correct. the distributor that going to install must set it correctly or it may prematurely deploy the parachute.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1