DJI doesn't agree with their manual

Reaction score
My Phantom 3S flew away and crashed in January during a rth procedure. Both DJI and several others said it was my fault because I failed to cancel the rth when I tried avoid a tree during the landing attempt. Last night as I was re-reading the DJI manual, I noticed (on page 11) the following: " During the RTH procedure, you may use the remote controller to guide the aircraft around obstacles."
Where is the warning that you must cancel rth before you do this?
It's there in the next line, saying to terminate rth to "regain full control" but the lingering impression from the previous paragraph is that I can avoid obstacles during a rth landing if I use the controller.
This lesson cost me $150 and I still don't think I was in error based on what the manual states.

How do "flew away" and "rth" happen at the same time?
You by chance don't know what version of Go app you were on at the time do you?
I'm asking, because "flew away" would indicate flying in the wrong direction, and there was a problem with the Go app v. 3.1.2 (I'm pretty sure that is the v#) that was causing some fly aways under certain conditions.

It seems, at least by my interpretation of the facts provided by you, reading through the instructions was the error. The failure to regain control of of the vehicle is an operator error as well as a software issue if Go app v. 3.1.2 is in fact the version being used and does indeed have this issue.
This one man jury finds in favor of the manual based only on the evidence provided.

You do have cancel RTH is what I have found, I have never really read the manual. Before I fly I make sure I have it set to 200' to make sure I clear all tree tops and lines. I thought I lost it one time, I was flying in line of site but when I hit RTH I thought I lost it. But soon I heard it over head landing, that was a good sound. I was looking into the sun and it's hard to see that little bugger 200' high. If I see it and want to take control I always cancel the RTH.

You do have cancel RTH is what I have found, I have never really read the manual. Before I fly I make sure I have it set to 200' to make sure I clear all tree tops and lines. I thought I lost it one time, I was flying in line of site but when I hit RTH I thought I lost it. But soon I heard it over head landing, that was a good sound. I was looking into the sun and it's hard to see that little bugger 200' high. If I see it and want to take control I always cancel the RTH.
Mate read that book 4 times more u read give you good understanding of what your flying:)

READ THE MANUAL. Not just for the bird, but for any apps that you are using. I would bet that nearly 1/2 (OK, maybe not 1/2, but a bunch of them) of the questions or problems on operating that are posted on these threads would have been answered or avoided if the poster had just taken the time to read and throughly understand the manuals (don't understand something that you read, ask here - some one will know the answer).

Reactions: Phil56
Can a RTH setting be changed to follow the remote controller rather than the point of takeoff? This would apply mostly to those launching from a boat.

Follow the RC, no. But if you have a GPS enabled tablet you can reset the Homepoint to the current location. Don't think it can do a continuous update, have to keep doing it manually.vsimilar discussion on this thread Flying from a boat..........

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20