DJI discontinue some drones

Reaction score
Looks like DJI is discontinuing some of their offerings.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.PNG
    IMG_0654.PNG
    828.2 KB · Views: 1,142
Well that stinks. I was hoping to step up to the 3P later this year. I'm not too keen on refurbished stuff, just a superstition I guess. I guess it will take a little longer to save for the 4P then.

I upgraded from the P3S to the P3P. Use the same batteries and props. Got a good deal, as long as the software remains compatible, it won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah this blows my theory right out the door. Move up to p3p from my p3s. If you guys hadn't already got or ordered your pro what would you have done after reading this? Probably can't pony up for p4 with the extra cost of new bats and case ,props, gimble guard and so forth.. Buy a p3p before they are all gone or look at other brands? Thanks..[emoji24]

Sent from my SM-T817V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am just looking forward to 21st January when all US trade deals are scrapped by the new President, bringing prices more into relation with how we, in the rest of the word pay. Enjoy the 25% price hike across the board boys and girls. At least until new factories are built rolling out US built drones that rival dji's offerings.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
my thoughts are in the support arena.How long before we hear "those parts are no longer available1' please consider upgrading to our P4.....and then theres firmware upgrades

The DJI refurbished store has P3S, P3A, P3P, and P4 available. I just ordered a P4 from there. $799, free shipping and no taxes... the P3 series also have pretty good discounts.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The DJI refurbished store has P3S, P3A, P3P, and P4 available. I just ordered a P4 from there. $799, free shipping and no taxes... the P3 series also have pretty good discounts.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Only if your in America, dji might be a global brand but not every service is available worldwide, including refurbished.

It seems like the Phantoms are becoming like iPhones. Every year we get an upgraded version...
Every consumer electronic item has been replaced by the manufacturers on practically a yearly basis for at least the last 25 years. Somewhere I have an advert for an old 486 computer and the advert claimed it was "timeproof" all components were future proof and would always be upgradeable. Well i guess the case might still fit modern components but thats about it.
We live in a continually upgrading consumer environment...simple.
Iphone? Seriously? Look at photography as thats what a drone is for, 110, 126, agfa rapide, disc, 127, aps etc etc etc all bitten the dust

Every consumer electronic item has been replaced by the manufacturers on practically a yearly basis for at least the last 25 years. Somewhere I have an advert for an old 486 computer and the advert claimed it was "timeproof" all components were future proof and would always be upgradeable. Well i guess the case might still fit modern components but thats about it.
We live in a continually upgrading consumer environment...simple.
Iphone? Seriously? Look at photography as thats what a drone is for, 110, 126, agfa rapide, disc, 127, aps etc etc etc all bitten the dust
Agreed- however all high end product manufacturers who hope to maintain the hold on the top ensure a few years support for their product. Even though Windows threw out 3 platforms a few years back there was still support for a few years. All I'm saying is treat all customers new and past with some sign of appreciation for customer loyalty. I'm more likely to be a repeat customer if my recently purchased P3P gives me a year or two before 'having ' to upgrade.
As for cameras biting the dust look at how long 110's 126's were around - much slower pace of tech upgrades then compared to now, but again remember the customer is your bread and butter. There are all kinds of new manufacturers jumping into this market.

Attachments

• SX70.jpg
    SX70.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 273
I think the only the reason the P3S is staying is that DJI needs a low price entry level drone, and at the prices they have been selling for for a "real" drone there is no better deal than the P3S. It's kind of like with cameras, you buy a new digital camera for $1200, a year later it worth $800, the next year $350, by year 4 its a $150 to 200 if you are lucky. Don't think you are buying a "forever" tool when you buy a drone, you can only keep it running until parts are no longer available. But if you get 8 or 9 years of use because it does what you need you are ahead of the game. If its for work you need to be competitive, if for your its your hobby I bet you by a new one within 3 or 4 years - "gear acquisition syndrome" is in all hobbies:)

Agreed- however all high end product manufacturers who hope to maintain the hold on the top ensure a few years support for their product. Even though Windows threw out 3 platforms a few years back there was still support for a few years. All I'm saying is treat all customers new and past with some sign of appreciation for customer loyalty. I'm more likely to be a repeat customer if my recently purchased P3P gives me a year or two before 'having ' to upgrade.
As for cameras biting the dust look at how long 110's 126's were around - much slower pace of tech upgrades then compared to now, but again remember the customer is your bread and butter. There are all kinds of new manufacturers jumping into this market.

Which is why I said the last 25 years. It took a long time for electronics to start shrinking at an unbelievable rate. Take something that these days is a given, autofocus cameras. First demonstrated in the early 60s I think but took 2 decades for the technology to equal the theory and bring portability. Canon demonstrated digital photography in 1985, 20 years later and digital sales overtook film.
Drones have gone from a ridiculously priced luxury to a quality, affordable beastie almost overnight. We might balk at the price of a P3P or equivalent but the P3S is another story, we barely need to beg our other halves to splash the cash on our toy.
I have idea how long support for P3 series will continue espechially the software side.
The interesting thing will be what Dji and their competitors believe is a realistic price point. I think the £$1000-1500 models will continue to have the "must have" features and every 2 or 3 years the £$500 will inherit cherry picked features. So next in the P3S bracket will be collision avoidance and lightbridge or equivalent. It needs a sub £$350 (rrp) bells and whistles model to set the cat amongst the pigeons. Just as the first sub $£1000 Dslr kicked the market into average joe hands

Well that stinks. I was hoping to step up to the 3P later this year. I'm not too keen on refurbished stuff, just a superstition I guess. I guess it will take a little longer to save for the 4P then.
They should be in stock for awhile I would think. I have the Standard now and want to get the P3A this summer, and think you and I both should be able to find them new. May not be on the DJI site, (I don't buy for the manufacturer much anyway) but on other sites and stores.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I am just looking forward to 21st January when all US trade deals are scrapped by the new President, bringing prices more into relation with how we, in the rest of the word pay. Enjoy the 25% price hike across the board boys and girls. At least until new factories are built rolling out US built drones that rival dji's offerings.
There will never be drone factories in the states, our labor costs are too high. Not just for the workers in the plant, but also the building of a factory. Even if imports go up in price, they would still be lower then making them here.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl