DJI Deception Using Canon DSLR Footage

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that DJI deliberately tried to make it look like the P4 Pro's new camera is better than a full frame Canon 5DM3?

DJI very helpfully provides RAW source footage that users can download to see for themselves what the camera can do - the link is here: DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Before buying the P4 Pro I downloaded the footage there and post processed all 4 files using identical settings. I was initially blown away by what appeared to be better footage from the P4P than the Canon 5DM3 but something did not look right.

So I checked the metadata and sure enough; DJI shot the footage from the 1-2.3" sensor, 4-3 inch sensor, and P4P's 1" sensor all about an hour apart. The Canon 5DM3's footage was created a day later and a full 3hrs earlier on a day that clearly had more smog and at an earlier time which decreased the dynamic range of the scene.

To be a fair test they should have lined up all 4 cameras and taken the picture within 1-5 min of each other. I don't know if the deception was deliberate; but at the very least it certainly was not a fair test; I won't even talk about the fact that they did not use an L lens and overexposed the scene by at least 2 stops...talk about handicapping your competition! They didn't even leave it in Aperture priority mode so that the Canon could defend itself!

Attachments

• TheProof.JPG
    TheProof.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 458
Reactions: Reed L
Well I guess the good news is that if we are now having to dig this deep for something to bash DJI about, perhaps we are finally running out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carltonart
Well I guess this is good in that if we are now having to dig this deep for something to bash DJI about, perhaps we are finally running out.
Well I am a huge DJI fan, the entire aerial photography and aerial video part of my business is built off of their products. But they should have known such obvious deception would be easy to catch.

And trust me, there is WAY more I problems I could discuss, but the reality is this whole industry is in its infancy, there will be growing pains and losses along the way. I don't even blame them for trying to make their footage look as good as possible to sell more product, but that does not mean I won't mention obvious deception when I see it.

Reactions: Snowwolf and Reed L
Worst set of comparative pictures I have ever seen from a professional outfit. Not very flattering....
That sure is true. When I first saw them I wondered out of all the stuff they must have in their library why choose such a terrible shot as an example?

Honestly, its as if DJI hires just about anybody to work on there cameras -- no talent or experience required. There new hire is Slappy, the bait shop guy!

I kid ... sometimes...

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20